Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She popped it out of the leg of the chair (it's one of those little round pieces that cover the screws) and had it swallowed before I could tempt her with a treat to drop it. It's about 1cm in diameter.

She's a 10 week old husky/lab mix, 10-13lbs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Frankly I'd call the vet and see what they think.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Seconding the vet. It's possible she could just pass it through, it's also possible that it will cause a blockage which is really, really bad.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The safe and responsible thing to say here is check with your vet. Probably be wise to monitor poops for a few days to make sure everything is moving along nicely.

Realistically though I wouldn't be worried until she tires to follow it up with the chair's leg for desert. =)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Definitely call the vet. They usually suggest an x-ray or waiting to see depending on the situation. Immediately take the dog in (or to an emergency vet) if she is straining to poop and nothing comes out and/or she starts vomiting as these are signs of a blockage (also check the vomit as she might pass the wood this way). Monitor her poop as well to see if the wood passes.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I wouldn't panic. Calling the vet is the only good advice. However, I would guess that you are going to be okay. Call the vet, but don't panic yet!!!

And a blockage, (worst case scenerio) is fixable when treated in time. Expensive and sad for the dog, but treatabe. Choking is scarier.

My stupid puppy is obsessed with furniture pegs. Makes me crazy. Had to pull them out of my bookshelves just to end it all. Got tired of fighting her on it. 10 million toys, and she wants the wood pegs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts