Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female puppy,Layla, is a Lab/ Rotti Mix and a little over 4 months old. We have her pretty well trained for a puppy, she knows sit, stay, come, down, and she loves her crate. We have been doing puppy training classes for the last 5 weeks, and are big on positive reinforcement. It is just me and my boyfriend, and because I work from home I am the one to feed her, walk her, play with her, and train her. In the last 10 days (just about the time we have started to take her on walks in the park) she has begun to nip at me more, only it seems more like biting as she goes to put her entire mouth around my ankle and arms. Her razor sharp puppy teeth are only getting sharper and I have tried everything from:

1. Yelping and turning away to ignore her (only now I can't because the nipping hurts too much to ignore...)
2. Spray bottle
3. Coins in a metal can
4. Leaving the room
5. Saying no, in a firm voice and looking her in the eyes

When she does it on a leash I can hold her an arms length away and when we are inside the house, I can barely get away in time before she literally nips my behind. I wonder if it's because she sees me a litter mate, but I don't think she does. She seems to listen to me for the most part, but when I say "no bite" or "bad dog" it just annoys her and she barks at me.

I so desperately need advice, she is only going to get bigger and her jaw stronger.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She doesn't see you as a dog. You're a human.

She's teething. Teething dogs chew on everything and everyone. The thing is, you've tried 5 different methods in 10 days, which means you haven't given any one method enough time to work. We have a sticky called "The Bite Stops Here". Read it and give it a few days to start working. That's "start" working. Bite inhibition takes time to learn. Also, give her things to chew on. Her mouth hurts right now, so freeze a wet, twisted up towel or buy some teething toys for her.

·
Registered
740 Posts
At 4 months, she's going to be more nippy until her adult teeth grows in, which can be several months later (my dog was 8-9 months of age). Make sure you provide plenty of yummy chew toys to ease the pain, and like Amaryllis said having some frozen towel can help, even soaking it in chicken broth will make it a tasty alternative to you! Give her some frozen kongs, and make sure you exercise her so she doesn't have extra pent up energy/frustration. When she bites you, yelp loudly, and stomp away closing a door between you two. Return to her after 30 seconds, and resume playing. Keep doing this until she realizes that when she bites you, play time ends and you leave her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts