Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mum's friend recently gave up his puppies that are 1 month old for adoption, so my parents and i decided to adopt one of them and we named her Cassie.

at the beginning, she cries and whines a lot. we all thought she misses her mom and her siblings so we try to tolerate with her. we let her sit or sleep with us on the sofa, provide her with some toys and play with her, hoping she would stop crying or whining.

after 2 weeks, we realized that she will cry and whine very loudly whenever we open the house door to leave the house or come back home and also whenever we want to walk to the kitchen. i read online about dogs having anxieties whenever they are separated from their owners and the advice that they always give is to put a shirt that has your scent and the puppy will quiet down. we tried that and it did not work. we also tried to distances ourselves from her by slowly increasing the separation time and it did not work.

Cassie is really driving my parents and i up the wall, we really hope to get some advice on how to handle this problem that we are facing. she is now 2 months old.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You are going to get lots of replies....saying that puppy was WAAAYYY too young to leave it's mother at 1 month!! The dog doesn't have "separation anxiety" it is a baby that wants to be with someone! Since you have already had the dog a while, I would just say to have patience, and let the little one grow up, but in the future, never get one that young. In a few months, hopefully the pup will be happier and more confident, just find things it likes to chew on or play with and that may distract her.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
1 month is WAYYY too young to leave the litter and mom. Your puppy doesn't have SA, it was separated from mom and litter too soon. It's crying because it is lonely or hungry. At one month, puppies nurse every couple of hrs. Were you feeding every couple of hrs? If not she was probably hungry.

Puppies cry. Even at 2 months. That's actually the age it should have been before taking it from it's mom and siblings. Your puppy is probably insecure due to being taken at such a young age. Have you taken her to the vet for first vaccinations and a health check?

Crate train her. make the crate a place she feels safe. Look up "Crate Games".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to crazy daisy,

thanks for your advice. my parents and i will continue to be patience with cassie and try to provide her the best environment for her to grow up as a happier and more confident puppy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to spotted nikes,

thank u for your advice. my parents and i feed her 4 times a day (morning, afternoon, evening , night) to make sure she is well fed. we follow the advice from the local vet to feed cassie with puppy substitute milk and the tiny puppy biscuits for her to ensure she gets the proper nutrients and vitamins that are essential for her health and growth. we took her to the local vet one day after we took her home, the vet said she is too young to receive vaccination. he advised us to bring her back when she is 8 or 9 weeks old for her first vaccination. he also conducted a health check for cassie and she is in good health. however for extra precaution, he injected her with antibiotic and deworming.

i will try to look up and read up about the crate games as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts