Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My malamute puppy has some large knobby wrists. Is this something that she may grow out of, or is it a sign of problems to come?

Here's a photo of her at 8 weeks where you can see what I'm talking about:

And here's one at about 13 weeks:

They don't seem to hurt her or limit her in any way. Anyone else have a dog with knobby wrists?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
From 8 to 13 weeks at least in that picture they look like they've gone down. At least the one on the right but it could just be the angle since it isn't straight on and the left one still looks pretty bad.

I don't know about it in puppies I know when my Pyr was getting up there in age she had this problem (swelling) in her right wrist. And some pretty bad things can come with it at her (my pyrs) age. I'd ask your vet for sure just to be on the safe side. (It could very well be she'll grow out of it :). As puppies go through those really awkward growing phases where they're not exactly proportioned correctly :D )

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
It's pretty normal for large breed puppies to have extraordinarily knobby wrists but I agree, check with your vet to make sure.

If you google Great Dane puppies at 8 weeks old and look at their wrists, they're sometimes disturbingly knobby and even looks twisted or out of shape. From what I've been told by Dane owners, this is normal and other large breed puppies go through similar phases.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts