Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12 week old lab puppy that im trying to train to find shed deer antlers and up until a couple days ago she was doing great. When I threw them she would go and either lay down and chew on them or bring them back to me. I give her treats everytime she goes after them but 2 or 3 days ago she started not wanting anything to do with them. The antlers have never hurt her so she doesnt have any reason to be scared of them but to me it seems like she is scared. She does good with regular sit, stay, come commands but for the past couple days I cant even get her to chew on the antlers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ive noticed that my Lab x gets bored real fast with just one toy-- or training system-- maybe put the antlers up for a week or so, give her something else to fetch and bring it down again for her. Make her think it is a "new" toy for her. If she still acts afraid of them later on. Not sure what to tell you in that case. :( But try the first thing first, see if she is just bored with it. May work for her, it does with Sadie :)

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I agree with Lamora. Put the antlers away for a little bit. And when you re-introduce them, keep the training varied. Mix things up a bit. You can train with antlers one day, and then work on something totally different the next. If you think it might be a fear thing, maybe try setting an antler off in a corner of the living room or somewhere and praise/treat her if she investigates it.
By the way, I'd never heard of antler hunting until I just recently read an article on it. Sounds like a fun thing to do!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess ill try a different toy for a couple days and see if that helps out at all. She is a very well behaved puppy, she still has accidents in the house still every once in awhile but other than that she is quick with her training

1 - 6 of 6 Posts