Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my new puppy for a week now. She has only gone potty in the house twice (both times today). I have bought four different kinds of puppy treats, and she shows no interest in any of them. I started just giving her a few pieces of her food when she goes outside. I just wonder if that is going to be enough motivation to keep her going outside? The treats were something (looks like a cracker) with meat inside, pupperoni's, beggin strips, and I even tried some actual bacon.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The first week we had our puppy she wanted nothing to do with treats. I think the change and the new place made her all nervous...Now she will do anything for any piece of food.

But what we ended out doing was bringing her to the local pet store and the guy working there gave her a ton of samples to find one she liked. She went nuts for freeze dried cheese. If you have a pet store near by that would do that, I suggest bringing the pup in. Generally the small guys (not the big chains) are so happy to help out with that sort of thing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We went through the same thing. Our puppy wanted nothing to do with treats the first week or so. We tried several types and she would usually eventually eat them but didn't really seem to care. I think once the nervousness wears off they are better. In our case, she's a shelter dog so she probably didn't even know what a treat was. Now she hears the plastic bag ruffle and comes running. I'd say continue to use them for rewards (breaking into small pieces helps too) and definitely use them along with praise and she'll catch on to how fun treats can be. You'll probably find that in another week or two she'll be very much interested in the treats she snubbed before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My puppy is the same way. After some experimenting, I found she likes the Yogurt drops and Gooberlicious treats at Petsmart... but even so, they will not entice her all of the time. She will sit and such for them, but if you want her to get in her crate, she'll act as if she hates them and doesn't care a bit that you are offering them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Luke was the same with the bacon and liver treats which EVERY dog is supposed to LOVE. He only liked the Yogurt or Peanut Butter Drops from VitaKraft. I guess he had a sweet tooth at first. He now likes the Science Diet bacon jerky treats and some little chicken treats. Maybe try some sweet stuff.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
my dog does the same thing. we are housebreaking her and training her to sit, etc. and she doesn't seem to like any treat. We are working down a list (she is the only picky one thankfully...the other two dogs are happy to eat anything) of treats currently. Hopefully we will find one she likes soon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Rascal likes freeze dried liver, but that is way too expensive for an everyday training treat. Natural balance has rolls of dog food. I slice the roll and cut each into tiny pieces and he will do anything to get a bite. He has always loved those! :D

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
My dog is a picky eater and the only thing I've found that she always eats is Welless' line of treats called Wellbites and Pure Rewards. These are meat based treats with fruits and veggies for Wellbites and just meat for Pure Rewards.

They are very healthy but quite costly though. I think I pay around 10 canadian dollars for a bag.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You should try hotdog. I went to a conformation handling class and the lady next to me gave my dog a slice of hotdog and Nakoa wouldn't leave the lady alone after that. Since then, Nakoa won't accept any of the old treats I bought for her. I had to make a drive to the grocery store and pick up some hotdogs. I sliced the hotdog up into slices and then sliced those into quarters so that they would be the perfect treat size for training. Hotdogs are actually cheaper than most moist dog treats and you know that the ingredients will be human-grade, which is a plus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts