Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at home, and I try to give my 5 month old playtimes during the day, but there are just times I need her to be in her playpen or crate so I can get some work done. If she's in my office with me, she cries and yelps nonstop. Is this just a matter of getting her used to it? Any ideas on how to make it more fun for her? She has chew toys and squeaks in there, sometimes a kong filled with yummy stuff..I feel guilty but have to get work done and can't watch her..

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
She needs to learn to stay by herself in the crate sometimes. If you let her out when she is making noise you are teaching her that making noise=getting out of the crate.

Get ear plugs.. Tough it out.. and put her in the crate with a raw meaty bone (like a neck bone). Freeze the bone first.. the cold will feel good on her gums as at 5 months old she is probably teething. When you do the Kong thing as an alternative, freeze that as well.

Only let her out when she is quiet.
Look up "Crate Games" on Google and do some of that too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, and I have been making her stay until she's been quiet, but I wondered if maybe it makes her more agitated because I'm in the room? Or do you think it doesn't matter?
Will look at crate games, thanks!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Being in the room can be an issue. Do you use a wire crate or a plastic crate? I have found it beneficial to cover the crate with a towel so the puppy cannot see out. Easier to do with a plastic crate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wire crate, I can move her to another room, I was originally thinking it'd be better if I were there with her, but maybe it just makes her upset since I can't play..

·
Registered
146 Posts
As a soon-to-be puppy owner, I am very curious how your pup has responded to being in a different room than you.

Like you, I would have thought it best to have the puppy close to me to alleviate her fright at being in a new home environment without her mom and litter mates.

I set up my puppy's crate in my bedroom, less than two feet from where I sleep. I also purchased an exercise pen and set it up in my computer room, where I spend the majority of my day.

I'm wondering now if I should put the play pen in the kitchen instead. The kitchen will be closer to the potty exit door, but I don't spend a lot of time in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So far, I have covered her crate and for the most part, she's much calmer. Being away from me makes her more nervous I think. For some reason the exercise pen energizes her and she spends most of the time jumping to get out. The crate which i left the divider out of seems to be better. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My pup was the same way the moment we got him as a rescue. Cried and howled all night in the crate and when we'd leave the house with him in it. They eventually get use to it and think of it as a safe haven though. After we let him out of it (when he's not whining) we leave the door open and he actually goes in there whenever he wants a nap or to just sniff around. You'd be surprised how quickly they get use to the crate if you remain consistent with it. Don't cave no matter how sad they sound! It's hard but it will work!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts