Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I recently purchased a German Shepard puppy yesterday, and noticed this in his fur/skin. I’m not sure what it is, but it’s hard unlike the rest of his hair. He kinda licks at it and nibbles at it from time to time. I believe he was kept in a barn with his siblings and maybe it could be a thorn or hay? Or just something with his hair?

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Fuzzy German Shepherd puppy fur is bad for picking up foreign materials. If you can't brush it out, and/or it seem to be imbedded in his skin, then a trip to the vet is in order. It's always a good idea to take them to the vet within a few days of getting them anyway, just to make sure they are healthy, and catch up on any vaccinations or dewormings they might have missed. .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would give him a bath and see if it’s maybe just a crusty foreign object that is stuck to his fur?
I just gave him a bath and it completely went away! It was just a really scary thing because he started to cry whenever I touched it. I guess the matting / substance caused the poor baby discomfort. Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuzzy German Shepherd puppy fur is bad for picking up foreign materials. If you can't brush it out, and/or it seem to be imbedded in his skin, then a trip to the vet is in order. It's always a good idea to take them to the vet within a few days of getting them anyway, just to make sure they are healthy, and catch up on any vaccinations or dewormings they might have missed. .
As soon as I gave him a bath it completely went away! I’m guessing something stuck to his fur and I overreacted because he would start to cry whenever I touched it. Definitely caused him some discomfort but he is perfectly great now! And I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow for his initial checkup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts