Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I roasted beets tonight (fresh -- I don't do canned -- with a spritz of olive oil and just a bit fresh-ground sea salt) and dropped a piece on the floor when I was putting them on the dinner plates. One of the puppies snapped it up in a flash and trotted away with it and munched happily... I gave the other pups a small piece and they loooooved it.

But I've heard beets aren't good for dogs because of the sugar content? or is that just when they use beet pulp as a filler in cheap dog food? I'd like to give them some more tomorrow as a treat, but is that safe? I did a search but can only find where beet isn't recommended in dog food but haven't found it on any "dangerous to dogs" lists.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Lucky puppy :D

I think it's only bad when the dog has to eat it every day, a little extra won't do any harm. Depending on your dog, you could feed a bit less tomorrow morning or tonight so that he does not eat too much but that's it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dogs are pretty resilient. After all, they're descended from scavengers and will eat almost anything. Beets (occasionally) shouldn't hurt them (might get loose stools for a while from all the sugar). I used to have a dog that thought onions were God's gift to canines; he would dig them out of the garden and eat them.:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts