Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this site and on here simply for some help from fellow dog owners. I'm pretty new to being a dog owner myself, yet have had dogs my entire life. My dog, Maya, used to have a really good temperament. She sticks close by me, which made me continuously take her to the off-leash dog park and roam around. She used to NEVER have an issue with other dogs or other humans, yet something must have flipped. My sister and her two kids moved in some time ago and left a few months later. Since then, Maya has been having issues with other dogs and other humans. She lunges at other humans and dogs while on walks in attempt to nip at them and will bark at anyone who comes too close to us. I MUST note that she has developed a very high anxiety and will randomly go into fits of nervousness and will stick VERY close by me at all times, but will calm down again later on. I want to say her aggression is anxiety related, however, I don't officially know.

I'm worried she's going to bite someone and really injure them to the point I have to lose her. Can someone help me or give me advice on things to do to help calm her down? Or help with her anxiety so we can work on her aggression? I really don't want to have to give her up or put her down.

Would MORE exercise help a lot? Quarantine hasn't been good to my body so running can definitely be a fantastic option for the both of us!

PS. I'm going to talk to my vet today and see if she can lead me in the right direction, though, I can NEVER have enough advice! Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ask you vet for a referral to a behaviorist (preferably a board certified behaviorist). If you can't see them in person, then a phone or video consult would work.

Meanwhile, do NOT take her to the dog park, but exercise her strictly on leash or in your own back yard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, I'm new to this site and on here simply for some help from fellow dog owners. I'm pretty new to being a dog owner myself, yet have had dogs my entire life. My dog, Maya, used to have a really good temperament. She sticks close by me, which made me continuously take her to the off-leash dog park and roam around. She used to NEVER have an issue with other dogs or other humans, yet something must have flipped. My sister and her two kids moved in some time ago and left a few months later. Since then, Maya has been having issues with other dogs and other humans. She lunges at other humans and dogs while on walks in attempt to nip at them and will bark at anyone who comes too close to us. I MUST note that she has developed a very high anxiety and will randomly go into fits of nervousness and will stick VERY close by me at all times, but will calm down again later on. I want to say her aggression is anxiety related, however, I don't officially know.

I'm worried she's going to bite someone and really injure them to the point I have to lose her. Can someone help me or give me advice on things to do to help calm her down? Or help with her anxiety so we can work on her aggression? I really don't want to have to give her up or put her down.

Would MORE exercise help a lot? Quarantine hasn't been good to my body so running can definitely be a fantastic option for the both of us!

PS. I'm going to talk to my vet today and see if she can lead me in the right direction, though, I can NEVER have enough advice! Thank you in advance!
Ask you vet for a referral to a behaviorist (preferably a board certified behaviorist). If you can't see them in person, then a phone or video consult would work.

Meanwhile, do NOT take her to the dog park, but exercise her strictly on leash or in your own back yard.
Thank you, very much. I won't take her to the dog park as I am too scared of her attacking another dog, but we do walks on leash. Thank you so much for your advice, I will remember that when I see my vet!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
dog parks are just plain bad news. Most dogs do not want to be there. Her issues likely started at the dog park and likely you did not realize it.

This is all about fear I am guessing. You need to stay between her and other people and dogs. She is not to greet other dogs and no one is to pet her. Advocate for her and let her know you have her back. She believes she has no support system.

·
Registered
2 Posts

you need a doctor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts