Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a hard thing to do is to stop treatment on my beloved Border Collie- Mozart and allow the lymphomia to take over, he has about 2-3 months to live. Now I don't know what I will do with his remains. I am thinking of getting him buried in a pet cemetary so that when my other dogs die I can sprinkle them on him. Any thoughts? I don't think I want to keep his ashes at home on the shelf, but I might. Please tell me what you or others have done and how you feel about it. This will be the first dog I put down.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If I'm rich when Beethoven dies, I would definitely get him made into a ring :] It might seem weird but I think it's a really nice idea, having a little memory with you of your dog every day.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
A ring? Kinda spooky. :p

I've heard of people doing that. I wouldn't ever do it.

My dogs either come home and are buried here, or I let the vet take care of their bodies. It doens't cost that much extra.

Sorry about your dog, good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Banned
749 Posts
When it is Lola's time I am going to have her cremated. I will keep her ashes and when it is my time her ashes and the urn she will be in are to be placed in my arms. That will be a requirement as I will have this written in a living will. If I see that my wishes are not carried out precisely I will see to it that the person who is in charge of my arrangements never has a peaceful day the rest of their life and I will make sure a spot in HELL is reserved for them.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I'm so sorry about your dog.

I'm not a great believer in cemetaries or keeping ashes, but I would certainly keep their collars and tags. I still have the tags from my cat that died about 5 years ago.

Do whatever feels right to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, I can only imagine how hard this is for you right now. I cremated my cat when he died, and I have his remains in a really nice wooden box in my dresser. I do think that is a good way to go, because it is nice to feel like they are with you.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm so sorry about your dog.

I'm not a great believer in cemetaries or keeping ashes, but I would certainly keep their collars and tags. I still have the tags from my cat that died about 5 years ago.

Do whatever feels right to you.
That's how I am too. I do keep tags and their collar.

No matter how much I love my animals, for them dead is dead. And, personally I don't really care to have them around with me after they've passed on. I've got the great memories and the pictures. ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
im sorry to hear about you pup i sorta know what your goin through, my 18 year old dog died last summer. we buried him in our back yard, yeah it was kinda hard at first, but every time i look into my backyard it makes me happy.
we were gonna cremate him, but the spca will only cremate him with other dog and you get a scoop of the ashes so you are getting other animals.

well good luck

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about your little pup :( I can only imagine how hard the on coming months will be for you & my heart goes out to you.
I plan on having George cremated & will bury him in a specially marked place up at our cabin on the river, he loves spending time with us there. And of course I'll keep his collar & tags.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Very sorry to hear.

I prefer cremation. Spent $1400 to have my horse cremated, and I think I'll have my others cremated as well.

·
Registered
673 Posts
so sorry to hear about your dog:( It will be 4 years this summer that we put my other dog down and I know you must feel so terrible right now. We were with her, I held her head in my arms and told her everything will be okay now. She was relaxed and ready I'm sure of it. They sent her away to be cremated and if you keep the ashes they make sure they are cremated alone with no other animal ashes. She was put in a nice oak box with her name on it. I will always cremate my animals and will always be there for them when it's time or else I know I would regret it. You do what makes you feel most comfortable

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I didn't really have an option, we aren't allowed to bury where I live and it was another $100 at the vets office just to do a private cremation. I hated to do it that way, but $100 when you've got 3 kids to feed is quite a bit.
This may sound crude, but I was raise that "dead is dead" and that the soul isn't with the body anymore so it's not as important what you do with the body as it is how you remember the animal.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your pup :(

Yes, Dead is Dead...but burying, cremating, and what not are for the living...what ever helps who is left behind deal with their grief is fine by me....when I pass I will be leaving it up to my husband and daughter..what ever will make it better for them is what I want to happen..of course I have stated I would prefer to be cremated but still what ever they want to do is fine by me

as for what we have done with our dogs...here is my Cyrus

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your pup :(

Yes, Dead is Dead...but burying, cremating, and what not are for the living...what ever helps who is left behind deal with their grief is fine by me....when I pass I will be leaving it up to my husband and daughter..what ever will make it better for them is what I want to happen..of course I have stated I would prefer to be cremated but still what ever they want to do is fine by me

as for what we have done with our dogs...here is my Cyrus
Well said pugmom, the big thing is that the dog gonna be hiding out between your head and your heart anyway. We are fortunate as we have 13 dogs buried on our place and as I mow lawn etc I actually visit with as I pass by their areas. If I did cremate I would pick a place the dog liked and spread ashes there.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
We have them cremated and we keep their ashes. When we buy our land (30 or so acres), I will have a memorial garden where their ashes will be buried, sprinkled or something like that. Don't want to do it here b/c we will only be here another few years.

eta:

We also have a key ring with a tag for each dog. Not "their tag" b/c we don't do personal tags for each dog. We get a gold bone shaped tag from Petsmart that has their pet name, racing name and then a memorial line that kinda sums up the dog, their life or something meaningful about them. It's strangely comforting to have all of our Bridge kids on one key ring...I always travel with them and sometimes just look at the tags and remember, cry, laugh...all that stuff.

Reactions: wvasko

·
Registered
861 Posts
If I'm rich when Beethoven dies, I would definitely get him made into a ring :] It might seem weird but I think it's a really nice idea, having a little memory with you of your dog every day.
just curious, how exactly would you make a dog into a ring?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I feel this way too, just wonder will I feel differently later and make the wrong choice. I keep telling my Mozart to haunt my home.
I spent over $2000.00 to keep him around for another 4-7 months, last year I spent twice that on a pup that did live and is doing well. But money is getting tight. I took his collar off months ago so I would get used to not hearing the tags ring. I took vidio pictures of everything that I will miss about him--prior to treatment. Good or bad, throught this I realize that I need to get out and be more social, that I need more than my pup but he did become all of my life. It will be harder as the tumors grow bigger, then the days will be numbered.

I didn't really have an option, we aren't allowed to bury where I live and it was another $100 at the vets office just to do a private cremation. I hated to do it that way, but $100 when you've got 3 kids to feed is quite a bit.
This may sound crude, but I was raise that "dead is dead" and that the soul isn't with the body anymore so it's not as important what you do with the body as it is how you remember the animal.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
We also have a key ring with a tag for each dog. Not "their tag" b/c we don't do personal tags for each dog. We get a gold bone shaped tag from Petsmart that has their pet name, racing name and then a memorial line that kinda sums up the dog, their life or something meaningful about them. It's strangely comforting to have all of our Bridge kids on one key ring...I always travel with them and sometimes just look at the tags and remember, cry, laugh...all that stuff.
I love that idea. Mind if I do the same in the future?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm weird I guess, but I Still have Max's ashes right here next to me. They are on a shelf by this computer. He dies a little over 2 years ago and I still rub his box every day. I miss him and always will. He was my life even tho I only had him for a short time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts