Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only time Red, my pug was mean was when he got treats and he didnt want the other dog near his treats. Now he barks and growls and bites my labs mouth whenever i put more food into the dish or when they get treats and when we put the dogs in their room at night sometimes red attacks my lab. What the heck has gotten into him. I use a spray bottle of water, most of the time that works but why is he doing this? Ive always had to seperate them when i give them wet food cuz red will attack any animal dog or cat that comes close to his food. Now hes like a lil devil when it comes to their food bowl, they share the same bowl.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Give them seperate food dishes.

How would you like it if you always shared your plate with someone?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How about feeding them separately--at separate times or in different rooms? They'd both probably enjoy the meal more.

Also, if Red's attacks on your lab are fairly new, consider taking him to a vet and making sure he doesn't have a thyroid, tooth, or other issue that might be causing him to be more snappish.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well its not totally new, hes been doing it awhile, he just had a annual exam at the vet last month and he was fine. I will try feeding them in a diff bowl and putting them in two diff spots, i keep the dog food bowl full so its hard to just feed them at a certain time cuz they eat anytime they want.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Your solution is easy - Feed them seperately. Do you have a crate you can feed them in?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have crates in the garage but only use them for car trips. It is possible for me to feed them seperatly but i keep the dog food dish full all day, are you suggesting start feeding them at a certain time seperatly?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
We have crates in the garage but only use them for car trips. It is possible for me to feed them seperatly but i keep the dog food dish full all day, are you suggesting start feeding them at a certain time seperatly?
Yes. Feed them at set times and make it so either of them can't get near each others food bowls. ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, im new to the feeding at set times, how many times a day do i need to feed them? Once in the morning and once at night?

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I feed my in different parts of the kitchen and in separate bowls. Tried the one bowl but Butch never got any! Roxxy does not want anyone near her bowl at feeding times and it's fine with me.

Mine are fed once a day...at night. Leaving food down all the time is not a good idea. Dogs can (and will) over eat. Remember to give them a set amount of time to eat the food (15 min is good) and then take the bowls up. They will learn to eat when the food is put down. It will take some time for them (and you) to adjust but it can be done.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
The only time Red, my pug was mean was when he got treats and he didnt want the other dog near his treats. Now he barks and growls and bites my labs mouth whenever i put more food into the dish or when they get treats and when we put the dogs in their room at night sometimes red attacks my lab. What the heck has gotten into him. I use a spray bottle of water, most of the time that works but why is he doing this? Ive always had to seperate them when i give them wet food cuz red will attack any animal dog or cat that comes close to his food. Now hes like a lil devil when it comes to their food bowl, they share the same bowl.
Please, give the lab some peace: give them separate food bowls and feed the pug in a different room or in a crate. Number one, your lab should be able to enjoy his meal without the pug around. Number two, if they share a bowl, you have no idea who's eating how much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts