Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 15-week old dachshund/chihuahua mix for a week now. He's gotten pretty good in his crate, and usually only cries for about five-ten minutes now before he settles down. But tonight, he was crying and barking nonstop, and after a couple hours of waiting for him to settle down, I went to go check on him. Good thing I did: the poor puppy had diarrhea in his cage, and he'd been sitting in it.

So, I cleaned it up real good with some Nature's Miracle and cleaned the toys that were in his crate with him. Then, once everything was back to new, I put him back in his crate with a treat and a stuff Kong. Voila! The puppy cried for five minutes, then immediately quieted down.

This is the first young puppy I've had, though not the first dog. I guess it was a good thing I checked on him, because so far I've been adamant about letting him sleep through the night, and no one getting him out of his crate if he cries.

I guess others could use this as a lesson; I felt that something was wrong, and I checked on him, despite what some may say about leaving the puppy alone in his crate if he cries.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
I think it isn't so much "leaving them alone" when they bark or cry but "not paying them attention". You check on them to make sure everything is fine but you don't reward the behavior if it is only attention seeking.

Same with making middle of the night potty trips all business- a very quick trip outside and right back in the crate.

Sounds like you handled things well, I probably would've skipped the treat and the stuffed Kong on a dog with an upset tummy, but if he tolerated that okay, then it works.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Even though my BF thinks I'm nuts, from the day I got Pepper, I knew that certain barks meant certain things. So when he does his "I need to pee" bark, I pick him up, leash him and take him out. He also has what I call his "concern" noise that he makes when someone he doesn't know comes to the door. Its a soft but high-pitched yelp.

It pays to pay attention to your dog.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts