Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let her out like I do everyday when I wake up, but this time I accidentally left the gate open the previous night when I took the trash out. She usually doesn't leave the house though, but today she decided to take run for the first time. She goes on the 40 mph street by my house and got hit. She made a horrible sound, and I soon got a phone call. My dad and I immediately drove a block over and got my dog. We took her to the immediacare place. So far, she is in shock, has a fractured leg ( may be compound) and possible back injuries. Right now they are getting her stable. She is breathing a little hard, but she was acting fine. I really hope she didn't break her back...:(

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I really feel for your dog and hope she gets better.

This is the exact reason why you don't let your dog out to run free. Knowing she was on a road with cars that drive 40 mph and you still let her out?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Come on people, read the posts. She accidently left the gate open. I'm sorry for your dog, and hope it comes out OK. Don't beat yourself up too bad, mistakes happen to all of us.
+1! This was not a "oh why don't I let my dog run free today" this was an accident. They happen unfortunately. I hope your pup is ok. I can say that when I was 12(about oh, 26yrs ago lol) my mom had a teacup poodle that weas let out by the postman and got hit by a truck. It cruashed her pelvis and the vet recontructed it and Brandee was in a full lower body cast for quite some time but came through it and lived a good long life afterwards.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I really feel for your dog and hope she gets better.

This is the exact reason why you don't let your dog out to run free. Knowing she was on a road with cars that drive 40 mph and you still let her out?
This is not the time to be insensitive! Don't beat yourself, it wasn't your fault. I hope your baby is ok... Keep us posted!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:
She is alive and stable. When I got her she was in shock and they had to get her stable before they took any updates. Her back isn't broken...But, she Dislocated her hip and messed it up, and on the same leg, she broke it in 2 places and one place might be a compound fracture, so she is going to need to get surgery in a few days. She is doing a lot better. Thank God for the guy who ran out in his boxers and brought her into his house and called my dad and I. If it wasn't for him, She probably would have died. The vet bills are going to be huge, but my doggy is definitely worth every last penny.

P.S, I am a guy and I let her into the backyard not knowing the back gate was open. She usually goes in front and hangs out by the center of our house ( it is U shaped. But today, she decided differently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:
She is fixable. She needs surgery and I have to drive 2 hours to sac, and it will cost 3-4000. It is worth it though. I already miss her.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It is going to take forever to pay it off with a part time job and school, and being 16 and having work hours limited. Like I said though, worth every penny. I hope she will be okay though.

Here is where It gets weird...
I named my dog after a dog my dad had that broke her back when he was a junior. My dogs name is terry, and I am a junior and my dog got hit by a car and got messed up. Also, our waiter's name was Terry when we got breakfast while my dog was getting X-rayed. All I know is when I every get another dog, I am not going to name him/her Terry. Terry will last a long time though. She is only 3-4 years old.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm so glad Terry is doing better. Kudos for you for doing what you need to do for your baby. You'll make someone a good husband when your older.:D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Glad to hear she's fixable and has an owner willing/able to pay the vet bill to get her fixed! It may take a long time to pay it off but, you are right, it will be worth it :)

Accidents happen, so don't be too hard on yourself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:
My dad and I drove her to sac and they decided to do open surgery and found out she fractured her pelvis, ruptured her blatter, and still has the breaks in her leg. So they Fixed her blatter and are going to fix her pelvis by cutting off the ball thing at the top of her leg and put it back together then fix her breaks. Also, the estimate went up to 4300-5000, plus the 950 that has already been done by the local vets. She is doing better, but on the way up to sac her pain patch was going out and she was laying on her broken leg, so she was in alot of pain. I am going to visit her tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
im so happy hes doing ok. i wasnt so lucky.... when i was 12 we had a GSD, she was 3 months old. i was waiting for my parents to come home so we could go out to dinner, i let her out to go potty and she got away from me and ran into the road...and yep... i heard it. my heart sunk and i ran out and it was too late... the worst part...i ran out without looking either way. i guess i didnt learn anything *ha idiot*. but good luck to you

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Well I am glad that you are doing everything you can for your dog. You're right, she's young and still has a long wonderful life ahead of her. And now you know what to ask for for your birthday and holidays for the next year or two (help with those vet bills!!). I'm sure it will be worth every penny to get your baby back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update:
They were fixing her leg with metal plates and her leg popped back into the pelvis, so the doctor tried for 4 minutes to try and pop it back out, but it wouldn't come out, so that pretty much fixed itself hopefully. He was going to just saw off the ball at the end of her femur, but it popped back in. I am going to visit her tomorrow. I will hopefully leave at 8 am drive for 2 hours, then visit for 1 hour, and drive home 2 hours, and go to work at 4pm. Yep, I already miss her sleeping next to me. I cant wait to get her back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update:
Just got back from visiting her. She is looking okay. She has 17 staples in her leg and 8 or 9 in her stomach. They said she can come home tomorrow morning. :) they don't want her there too long because she will get energy back and will too much of a pain to watch.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.