Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon when I came home my husband told me that Hamilton had had diarrhea by the front door (first question was, of course "Why weren't you watching him?"). He was acting fine though, running around and happy. I took him out and he had more diarrhea. I went out and got some chicken breast and made him chicken and rice for dinner, he had another round of the runs (outside!) before bed, and my husband ended up sleeping on the couch with him to make sure he didn't make a mess overnight. Didn't exactly work. My husband didn't wake up until AFTER the fact, and Hamilton had jumped off the couch a few times and vomited and had diarrhea on the floor. This morning he was really pokey and sad, and we took him to the vet who said either it's gastroenteritis, or giardia, so they're treating for both. He doesn't have a fever, and they xrayed and found nothing. He got a shot of nausea meds and a shot of pepcid and has been sleeping here all afternoon. He's just so pitiful! He doesn't have any of his usual energy, though he still wags his tail at me and follows me around when I leave the room. Of course when he was first sick I had Parvo panic, but it seems it's just a bug or a parasite. I gave him a few sips of chicken water around 2, and he held that down, so I gave him a little more about a half an hour ago, and it's still down! I hope he's getting better. He is just the saddest little guy ever right now :( This is the first time he's been REALLY sick! I think it'll be my turn to sleep on the couch with him tonight. (Very grateful for dog health insurance right now too!!)

This is him resting in his bed in my office:

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Poor pup. My dog has had a few instances of vomiting, but rebounded quickly. Hope the same happens for Hamilton.

Sending positive thoughts.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Poor guy....I wish they could talk to us when they don't feel well. I know that sweet potatoes are good for the runs. I usually give my guy sweet potatoes at least twice a week regardless. He has a sensitive stomach too.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwe ... poor little guy. I sure hope he gets better. It is not any fun for him or his people when he feels this lousy. I can see it in his eyes. :(

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It's the worst when they're sick and you can't do much more for them....... At least when we're sick we can say what hurts and probably why, and be able to know what to do to make ourselves feel better. :(

Hope he gets well soon! :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hammie decided he was feeling better around 9 last night. This was great except bed time is 10. He barked pretty steadily until 11:15 when I gave up and thought maybe he just still didn't feel good (I also went down around 10:30 and walked him again, just in case), and I think what it was was that he DID feel better than he had all day, and he'd slept all day, so come bedtime he was full of beans and ready to go! I laid on the couch while he jumped up and down bringing me toys and squeaking things and chasing things and I finally fell asleep with him laying on my feet repeatedly squeaking his cow toy. When I woke up at 5:15 this morning, he was konked out between my legs. We're 24 hrs vomit/diarrhea free!! Here's hoping he continues to get better.

Here's what ticks me off -- he most likely caught this from another dog. He hasn't been around other dogs since class last week (*I* was sick last week and didn't bring him to the park or play groups like I usually do), which means he likely caught it from one of those dogs. The vet told us to give him 48 hrs before being around other dogs, so not only did I have a $330 vet bill, we are missing class that I paid for tonight, I have to pay $25 if I want a make up class -- when I could just bring him and not tell anyone that he's sick since obviously someone else did that and made my dog sick in the first place! It's not fair being punished for being responsible :(

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Glad he's better... I agree, a disadvantage of a well-socialized pup, is exposure to less responsible owners. In 11 years, my dog has been brutalized by a border collie trying to herd him, bitten by a freaked out Pit Bull, rolled by a large Golden that didn't like pups, and infested with fleas 3 or 4 times (in 11 years :) ) ... But the good news is that it really is worth it for how good a dog you get, and the fact that most of these costs, over the life of the dog, really aren't too bad

Although I agree their a big pain in the wallet, when they do occur...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts