Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 12 month old purebred pitbull female. I have never had a pit before, but my boyfriend has before, and he really wanted another one, so I got him one. So far I have had nothing but great things to say about the breed! I also have a rescued chihuahua that I have had for 5 years. He's my baby. I'm home the most and I guess they dogs like me the most, and see me as leader.
We recently bought a very expensive Cane Corso puppy from a reputable breeder, she is 10 wks old. So far the pit has been nice to the corso pup. We have researched the breed for a long time. FYI, I have "big dog/mastiff" experience, esp knowing the training/dominance roles. I had 2 Presa Canarios for 12 years.
So the prob is that my pit has recently and very violently attacked my chihuahua about 5 times. Twice making him bleed. It was impossible to unlock her from him. I can tell when she is about to attack, I can read her body language. She "blacks out" while attacks. I think they are trying to "fight" over me? Dominance? She even growls over food. She is nice to the puppy, but I caught her snarling/growling at her yesterday over a toy.
My biggest fear is that she will kill my chihuahua one day, and when the Corso is bigger that they will get into a fight. My Presa's sometimes got into it, but they weren't too vicious, & didn't have "lock jaw" like pits.
What can I do? I've never gotten rid of a dog in my life, but I couldn't live with the guilt of my poor Chi dying. People have told me that "Pits can't be with other dogs" and "you must have gotten a bad bloodline Pit." Should I give my pit up?
:(

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Since you can't keep them separate, yes, you need to rehome one of them. Because otherwise the Chih will end up dead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I was able to keep them (chihuahua & pit) seperated, do you think that she will attack my Corso when it's older?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
So if I was able to keep them (chihuahua & pit) seperated, do you think that she will attack my Corso when it's older?

It is possible. Honestly, I too would be rehoming one of the two dogs and in this case for me, it would be the Pit Bull. Sadly, good homes are very hard to find, especially if the dog has a history of aggression and you MUST let anyone know that this has happened to protect them from having it happen again.

For me it wouldn't have happened 5 times. You are lucky your little Chi is still alive.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The "dominance" stuff is bunk; pits do not have locking jaws; if the attack was actually "very violent" your chi would have been dead the first time; you are extremely irresponsible for letting it happen again after that first time, especially four more times; dogs go easier on puppies because they realize they are young (it's called "puppy licence"), but yes, it's very likely that your pit and CC will get into it in the future and one will end up killing the other; I can't believe anyone would keep letting their dogs interact when they literally fear that one will kill the other; please re-home the pit to someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't just think they have "big dog experience." Welcome to DF.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
The "dominance" stuff is bunk; pits do not have locking jaws; if the attack was actually "very violent" your chi would have been dead the first time; you are extremely irresponsible for letting it happen again after that first time, especially four more times; dogs go easier on puppies because they realize they are young (it's called "puppy licence"), but yes, it's very likely that your pit and CC will get into it in the future and one will end up killing the other; I can't believe anyone would keep letting their dogs interact when they literally fear that one will kill the other; please re-home the pit to someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't just think they have "big dog experience." Welcome to DF.
This. And sorry, is this a 50 lbs Chihuahua? If these attacks are what you say and your can't get your dog off of him, I have to doubt the validity of the story or how bad the attacks. I have an 11 lbs Dachshund who would not survive a serious attack from a larger dog.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
You NEED to keep the pit away from the chi. 5 times is way too many. If I were you, I'd rehome the pit. It sounds like a bad situation for both the dogs.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I think your choices are rehome the pit or rotat-o-dog if you want your Chi to survive. Having been around many chihuahuas, if the dog is your "baby", I have no doubt he is part of the problem. Also I'd keep watch when the Cane Corso puppy runs out of "puppy priviledge". Two females of breeds which can typically be dog aggressive can be a dangerous situation. Male dogs fight for breeding rights. Females fight for breathing rights. They want the other one gone. And generally, we don't give our dogs the option to find another place to live.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Thank you for saying this ... What I wanted to say but fortunately for me you did first. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
I am sorry..... But two and two are adding up to seven here for me.... Some other good people have commented.... I am sure they are thinking the same thing....

A pit bull (or any medium size dog) that "violently attacked" (your words) a Chihuahua, would kill said Chihuahua in about a second. One bite would crush bones and kill the Chi..... Never would it survive that five times.....

So.... Something else is up..... Rough play... I don't know.... But something....

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Wow. I feel bad for the Chi, being attacked five times is four 1/2 times too much.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Sounds like escalating Resource Gaurding (RG), as others have said if the dog had the intent to seriously injure the Chi, you most likely would NOT have a Chi. That's not to say that is won't get worse, it WILL and the RG may WELL extend to the pup. Seeing how (from what I'm understanding) the Pit and the Cane are both females, you could have some SERIOUS issues in the future. As Pawz said earleir Bitch fights are UGLY and usually life or death, humans often end up injured if they don't know how to PROPERLY break up a fight and you WILL need a bite stick (or two) and the proper skills to break up a fight. Honestly it would be better for the Pit if she were in an ONLY DOG home (preferably with no small children if this is RG). It would also benefit the CC and hte Chi if you dropped the Dominance crap and found a trainer that used operent conditioning based training for puppy K and further training and socialization classes.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I am sorry..... But two and two are adding up to seven here for me.... Some other good people have commented.... I am sure they are thinking the same thing....

A pit bull (or any medium size dog) that "violently attacked" (your words) a Chihuahua, would kill said Chihuahua in about a second. One bite would crush bones and kill the Chi..... Never would it survive that five times.....

So.... Something else is up..... Rough play... I don't know.... But something....
Yeah... The GSD that I grew up with killed a chiXmin pin in the blink of an eye. It was done and over with before I even had time to process what was happening.

IF you are committed to keeping all of the dogs, you need to keep the pit separated. Assuming that resource guarding is causing this, a baby gate may suffice. Set up an ex-pen and a baby gate so that you can rotate in a way that the pit and chi NEVER interact or cross paths again. Put the pit in another room behind the gate while the chi has time with you. Then put the chi in the ex-pen so that the pit can have time with you. They should NOT cross paths at all. It doesn't matter if you have one had on the pit's collar as you lead them to the gated area/room. In fact, many dogs I've worked with will look much harder for a fight in a tense situation like that.

Find a good, positive trainer that is well versed in RG.

If you can't make "crate and rotate" work, start looking for a new home(s). Keep them separated at all times until you find a good home.

I have had a crate and rotate household before. The bitches involved gave me my first ever dog bite in breaking up their bitch fight(I've since learned how to break up a fight safely). It was exhausting to get everyone exercise and one-on-one time but I made it work because I was committed to my girls. Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice. Some of you were more harsh calling me irresponsible and unknowledgeable. Sometimes the attacks occured when I was NOT home, therefore I wasn't able to intervene. The one fight I did witness I called "violent" because yes, seeing my chi thrashed back and forth like a ragdoll, did look violent to me.
I understand about the "puppy license", and I think that a very serious "bitch fight" could occur with the pit & CC later on. And yes, I'm PRETTY sure I have "big dog" experience, having Presa Canarios for 12 years, and having taken them to numerous protection & behavior classes with a trainer. Thanks :p
I asked for advice because I'd HATE to give the pit up. I can't have kids, so my dogs are my "kids", next to my horse business. We have a close friend that loves her and will give her an only dog & no kid home, so I think my next step is to convince my boyfriend to do this.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
If you were responsible and knew the Pit was being aggressive toward the Chi, they would have been SEPARATED. YOu didn't keep them away from each other knowing this, that makes you IRRESPONSIBLE. You'll also need to keep the CC separated from the Chi when no one is home due ot size difference and hte possibilty of accidentla injury, if you were a knowlegable dog person, you'd know that as well.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Some of you were more harsh calling me irresponsible and unknowledgeable. Sometimes the attacks occured when I was NOT home, therefore I wasn't able to intervene. The one fight I did witness I called "violent" because yes, seeing my chi thrashed back and forth like a ragdoll, did look violent to me.
Are you actually saying that four of the attacks took place when you left the pit bull and the chihuahua LOOSE together unsupervised???? That's something I wouldn't do even if the dogs got along. Too much of a size difference, and too easy to hurt the little one just rough housing. I have to agree with others that if the pit bull was serious about killing the chihuahua, the chi would be dead by now. But that doesn't mean the situation is safe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.