Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! :) At 11 am I got my new dog for the first time. He is a 6 month old shih tzu bichon mix AND IS ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE. He's very calm, and has gotten used to me. (And not everyone else. lol.) Around 4 pm he ate after settling in some more, and from research, I've learned that puppies go potty fifteen or ten minutes after drinking water or food. It's 8 now and he has still not peed or pooed. :l His parents are very healthy, and so on. Why is this? Is it because he's nervous?

And when we were picking him up, there were six dogs, including him, and one of them pooed.. perhaps it was him? Please reply~ :wave:

Oh and., I also heard that puppies also poop or pee after napping. His naps are always interrupted because he is still settling in. (And gets distracted a lot.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
it is likely the stress of the changes (new home). I have this issue with fosters all the time. spend extra time with them outside but they may not go for a bit. some won't go all day.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Maddie wouldn't go outside for 3 days after we adopted her - she wasn't used to having the run of a backyard, apparently. But then we found out she'd been sneaking in our closet and peeing... :-( She's fine now, so give your pup some time to settle in.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The great thing about adopting a 6 month old is that his bladder is likely fully developed so he has the ability to know when he has to go. That's helpful with crate training (and any other form of housetraining).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts