Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. My parents and I lost our family dog, Bailey, in October 2018.

2. My partner and I lost our dog, Sebastian who my parents were very, very close with, in January of 2019.

3. My partner and I adopted a bonded pair, Baelor and Shae, in February of 2019, who mom and dad do get to spend some time with but aren't as connected to as Sebastian.

4. My parents adopted an adult-but-not-senior dog, Hailey, about 6 weeks ago. She's probably about six.

5. My parents just found out Hailey is most likely dying, and most likely soon. This will be the third dog they've lost in a year's time.

What can I do here to help them get through this? Sebastian's passing hit them harder than they realized it would; my poor parents have had their fill of grief. I know I have no control over it, but I worry that this will turn them off rescuing for good and I would hate that for them. My heart is absolutely breaking for them, the fact that I will likely not get to meet Hailey, and I am angry that this could happen again to two people who deserve it the least. It's horrible, and I know there's nothing I can really do to make it better or easier, but if anyone has been through anything like this I would really appreciate any perspective you might have.

Thank you.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I am so sorry you and your parents are going through this! There is nothing harder than saying goodbye to a loved one. All I have to say is how someone processes death is different from another person. For me, when my father passed away from cancer, I had to remind myself that this is part of what makes life beautiful and wonderful. Every moment and memory is that much more cherished, and special, because we know that any day, any of our loved ones can be gone. Time heals all, but going through grieving in a healthy way, and if needed, having some help through a grief counselor can hopefully help!

My thoughts go out to you and your family, and Hailey of course - I hope she is made as comfortable as possible, and the fact that all her loved ones will be around her should hopefully bring much comfort to you and yours.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
That's so sad and hard to lose a dog they should have had years with, especially on the heels of other losses. But Hailey doesn't understand mortality. All she knows is that she's in a loving, safe home with people who dote on her and care for her. She's spending her last time on Earth happy, comfortable and loved, which she probably wouldn't have had if not for your parents. That's a huge thing and I hope it brings them peace to know they could do that for her.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Losing a pet is sometimes even harder than losing a person, why? I think possibly because we know that our pet babies are totally dependant on us, and we feel so helpless to help them when the time comes. We are losing ours to aging problems and it is hard, we have lost a couple in the past, also to aging and disease, it took me a long time to get over those losses and I still miss them. Your parents can take solace in that they are giving that little dog lots of love and care during her difficult time. Maybe there is still hope for treatment, there is prayer, maybe there are natural treatments that can be tried as well. Maybe Hailey will still be okay?. When our pup was 4 years old, she got hemolytic anemia and her chances of survival were slim at the time, but with prompt treatment she did survive and is now 15 years old. There is always hope.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone for the replies and sorry I didn't get back sooner.

I am so, so lucky to abe to say that Hailey is still with us. Mom and dad aren't out of the woods with her yet, but she seems to be recovering. Another dog from her shelter had something VERY similar happen (as of now, it's still a mystery ailment) and is doing OK and is off meds. Hailey is still on steroids but off everything else and is slowly decresing her dose. While there is a chance that once she comes off the steroids entirely, things could go south again, we have every reason to believe she will continue to improve. Most importantly, even if the worst comes to pass, she seems like herself again for the most part. I think it would have been especially painful for mom and dad to feel like she moped around for weeks and seemed to sad and uncomfortable and then just... died. I hope she lives a long time now, but should things take a turn, I am grateful that they will have some time now with her able to run and play and be a dog.

Hopefully, hopefully, though, she is OK.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I am so so glad to hear that Hailey is getting better! I hope she continues to improve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts