Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am trying to talk on behalf of my dog and so far what his opinion is about me.

Little About Mr Tuffy

Name: You already know
Breed : Golden Retriever
Sex: Male

* He is peeing and potty all over the house, My expensive rags seem to be his fav place. We have used potty training, potty pads, we take him out after meals and after waking up.
Result: We will take him outside after waking up, he will hold his pee and potty till he reaches back home. As soon as he enter's home he will potty and pee.

What we have tried so far
After Meals Same Result when we take him outside
So on internet we learnt that we could train him to use potty pads inside house, which has given us very little or no success. 7/10 times he will not pee on pads, but sometimes he
comes and does it on pad. When he pee on pads we praise him and give him treats. After few hours he will forget everything and would again pee in house.
We clean the place after he pee in house, so that he doesn't get the smell.
If we catch him pee in house, we will take him to potty training pads and tell him to GO potty. He will stop pee then, he will move out from potty pad and then again pee in house. if we try to hold him on the pad he will try to run or try to escape.

* He is biting my wife and children and not sparing my furniture or anything else he can find in house.

What we have tried so far
He will bite everything, my legs my pants my socks my shoes. So we got him chew bones and meat sticks. Some soft toys some balls etc.
Tried not to move while is sucking my blood with his needle sharp teeth. But he doesn't stop. He seems to enjoy pulling the pajama or pants and wont let go.
Earlier when we gave him a chew bone he would get distracted from biting us but now it seems he is loosing interest in meat bone and chew bone and wont let go of my pants.
This problem gets worse with children and wife, We have told children not to move when he is biting and offer him a toy or treat, children start shouting and this adds to his excitement, soon crying and SOS VOICE like DADDY HELP come , then I have to pick puppy from hands to remove him from biting children.
We read an article and told children to jump and look up when he bites, but children keep jumping again and again when he doesn't stop biting and I think this is adding to more excitement, so this is not such a good method
We tried to offer treat to him when he is biting, and try to move him away. It doesn't work, he will eat the treat and then start biting us again.

* From last 14 days we have sleepless nights

* We have tried various solutions available on internet and websites but nothing works.

* I ended up yelling at him today out of frustration, and i could see the poor pup eyes. I feel guilty, as I scared the shit out of him today.
So this is something I am worried about, today after reading an article on internet we tried to leash him, gave him a treat and some toys, he started crying and barking. He usually never barks, so then I went back on internet and came across a google page that tells us to SHHH him if he is barking, so I said SHHH but he wont go quiet. We were also informed if he starts barking don't let him free. Today he did not stop so I said shh then no and he bit me on hand and blood came out and I ended up yelling at him. I also tap his nose but he bounced back on me in an aggressive manner.

So I am feeling guilty. I am not sure how to fix what I have. Please help. I am sorry If I am asking too much.

·
Registered
549 Posts
For potty training... got to take them out every 15-20 minutes, and praise like crazy when they pee outside... ignore when they go inside (I'd get rid of puppy pads altogether). Really, I stayed outside until they peed and/or pooped... Got to use enzyme cleaner inside to get rid of the smell, and we got rid of rugs until potty training was mastered (one of them is pretty much trashed at this point). Really... it can take a few months, just got to be patient and consistent.

For the biting, get up and walk away every time he nips/bites at you. I had a golden retriever puppy and it was very hard, I lost some clothes and shed some blood in the process for sure... but again, consistency and patience. Praise like crazy when he chews on bones though. Some people yelp or redirect when the puppy nips, but it did absolutely nothing to my pups.

For nights... I'd still take him out every 3-4 hours, otherwise completely ignore him and NEVER pay attention to him when he's barking and crying. Wait until he stops to do it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I totally feel your pain as we have been experiencing all the same type of stuff you mentioned in your post. Our puppy is a bichon frise and is 15 weeks today. We brought her home at 11 weeks. We tried the pee pads initially but quickly got rid of them as she took great pleasure in shredding them to pieces. Fortunately we are retired so we have the time to take her out very frequently. While she still has accidents, there is a marked improvement in the month she has been home. We have a bell hanging on the door that leads to the back yard and we ring it every time we take her out. If you are not crate training your dog I highly recommend doing so.
The biting has been a major problem for us too. We put our hand over her snout and tell her no but she seems to just think we are playing and gets even more excited. We also offer her a chew toy every time she goes after our ankles. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. We will be starting puppy classes next week so I am hoping that getting some training will make a difference. I would also recommend that you exercise your dog a few times a day. Ours still has to have her final set of puppy shots. But we take her on a leash and run her on the concrete around our pool. It really calms her down and she will usually take a nice long nap after that. Good luck and it does get better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For potty training... got to take them out every 15-20 minutes, and praise like crazy when they pee outside... ignore when they go inside (I'd get rid of puppy pads altogether). Really, I stayed outside until they peed and/or pooped... Got to use enzyme cleaner inside to get rid of the smell, and we got rid of rugs until potty training was mastered (one of them is pretty much trashed at this point). Really... it can take a few months, just got to be patient and consistent.

For the biting, get up and walk away every time he nips/bites at you. I had a golden retriever puppy and it was very hard, I lost some clothes and shed some blood in the process for sure... but again, consistency and patience. Praise like crazy when he chews on bones though. Some people yelp or redirect when the puppy nips, but it did absolutely nothing to my pups.

For nights... I'd still take him out every 3-4 hours, otherwise completely ignore him and NEVER pay attention to him when he's barking and crying. Wait until he stops to do it.
Hi
I posted today and already have 2 replies! This is great! Okie dokie! Francl27 need your advice

I take him down yesterday at 5 am, I put on a leash and refused to walk with me, So instead of pulling the leash, I will offer him a treat or pick him up. When we reach for a morning walk. Mr Tuffy Refuse to move his lazy butt and will lay in dirt or grass. Lets say even if he walks for 5 min then he wants to sleep while walking. If I wake him up and try to move him using food then he starts crying and rushes back to home, since its war inside ( i think).I stayed out for 2 hours and he kept weaning and holding his pee. When we reached home, he took the leak in front of my eyes. ( i just hated his guts for doing that to me)!

What to do in this situation?

Yes puppy pads are a huge mistake, I feel that too. I spend money on pads and he still uses my floor. Okay bro got rid of the rugs.

When I praise him he tries to bite my hand. I think he can feel I am very frustrated.

I tried cesar Milan SHHH method to stop his crying but he doesn't listen. We have to give up and remove leash from him tonight. He is hurting himself if leashed. He pulls himself and kept crying and barking without stopping. So its cruel and i could not leash him no more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I totally feel your pain as we have been experiencing all the same type of stuff you mentioned in your post. Our puppy is a bichon frise and is 15 weeks today. We brought her home at 11 weeks. We tried the pee pads initially but quickly got rid of them as she took great pleasure in shredding them to pieces. Fortunately we are retired so we have the time to take her out very frequently. While she still has accidents, there is a marked improvement in the month she has been home. We have a bell hanging on the door that leads to the back yard and we ring it every time we take her out. If you are not crate training your dog I highly recommend doing so.
The biting has been a major problem for us too. We put our hand over her snout and tell her no but she seems to just think we are playing and gets even more excited. We also offer her a chew toy every time she goes after our ankles. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. We will be starting puppy classes next week so I am hoping that getting some training will make a difference. I would also recommend that you exercise your dog a few times a day. Ours still has to have her final set of puppy shots. But we take her on a leash and run her on the concrete around our pool. It really calms her down and she will usually take a nice long nap after that. Good luck and it does get better.

Nadia I am so glad we both have each other shoulder to cry on! You know we have so many articles that explains dog training but none of them will explain "What to do if the given method doesn't work"? I think we get stuck Today I sat hopelessly and watched him tear my morning newspaper, while he was having all the fun I was frustrated. 15 weeks she is a big girl now. yes even my boy takes some kind of pride in tearing newspapers and puppy pads and anyone who says you can stick the to ground, my pup already found a way to tear them even if they are stuck. best part is when they grab it from corner and move the potty pad all around the house. There goes entire bottle of enzyme cleaner. Yes, lets hope things do get better before I give up!

PS: Nobody will tell you how many times u have to wash hands after cleaning puppy pee.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome to puppyhood.

For potty training, the puppy should be getting NO free time indoors. If you can’t be ACTIVELY watching the puppy, he needs to be in a crate. I wouldn’t expect a 9 week old puppy to want to walk very far. Use treats/toys to lure if necessary, but I would avoid carrying puppy to/from anywhere, unless there is a safety hazard.

As for the biting, get up and leave. Puppy starts biting, get up and leave, play time is over. Wait 5 minutes then re-engage. It’ll take a while, both of my puppies were landsharks and made my arms bleed for many weeks. But it does get better.

When giving treats, give with an open palm instead of holding with the tips of fingers. Hold the treat between pointer and middle finger, like you would with a horse.

I also saw that you mentioned Cesar Milan.. I don’t know how many of his “methods” you are following, but I would ditch everything you are following from him. Pretty sure most here will agree, I’ve never seen someone say “yay for Cesar” on here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For potty training, the puppy should be getting NO free time indoors.

If I lock him in crate he will cry like hell and starts to bark and pull. Any suggestion on how to keep him in crate without him crying or barking? We have put toys and some treats but he will not stay there for longer.

Yes today VET also took me for a ride and told me to strictly not take him for a walk until all vaccinations are over. So learn my lesson.

Thanx for the biting tip, will try that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just wanted to mention that for Christmas my sister in law brought over some bully sticks for my pup. I gave her one yesterday and she just loved it. Kept her very busy chewing on it for quite a long time. Maybe your dog might like them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If I lock him in crate he will cry like hell and starts to bark and pull. Any suggestion on how to keep him in crate without him crying or barking? We have put toys and some treats but he will not stay there for longer
That’s just how crate training goes. Look up “crate games”, they are recommended to make crate training easier, but I’ve yet to have a puppy that starts off enjoying their crate. Both of my dogs will both happily go into their crate now, but it wasn’t always like that. The crying doesn’t last forever, it actually passed by much faster than the teething stage for us.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just wanted to mention that for Christmas my sister in law brought over some bully sticks for my pup. I gave her one yesterday and she just loved it. Kept her very busy chewing on it for quite a long time. Maybe your dog might like them.

great tip,will get them today, i gave him some meaty sticks he loved them, will try some more sticks soon. Thanx again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s just how crate training goes. Look up “crate games”, they are recommended to make crate training easier, but I’ve yet to have a puppy that starts off enjoying their crate. Both of my dogs will both happily go into their crate now, but it wasn’t always like that. The crying doesn’t last forever, it actually passed by much faster than the teething stage for us.
Ok going to try this today. Thanx will post here how he takes it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts