Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to take pictures of my old gal, Dahlia. She's been with us for almost 11 years, is now somewhere between 13 and 14 years old. She has kidney disease and wonky hips and is mostly deaf. But she's still as sweet as ever. We thought were going to lose her last fall when she was first diagnosed with kidney disease. She wouldn't eat, was clearly not well. She lost tons of muscle and weight and ended up going from about 45 pounds down to 37 very quickly.

But then we found some stuff she would eat (not kidney disease appropriate really but the choice was eat SOMETHING and live or eat nothing and die in the next couple weeks). And her weight stabilized. And while she hasn't gained weight or any muscle back, she's hanging in there. And doing pretty well for an old lady with fragile health.

So I've been trying to get some photos of her. She used to be my perfect poser but doesn't seem to enjoy that as much so I just have to get photos of her while she's doing something else. Here are some from the past months.

December 2018:

February 2019:

March 2019:

April 20, 2019 -- Dahlia's 11th "Met Ya" Day. This is the day I met her on a transport from shelter to rescue and fell in love with her (back in 2008). We didn't adopt her for another month. I took her back to the place where we spent about a half hour or so waiting for the next person on the transport.

This one made me laugh.

April 30

I love this girl SO MUCH. I just don't know what I'd do without her!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her not eating was HEARTBREAKING. She's always been my chow hound and her lack of interest in food was so hard to watch. She has sometimes where she's not thrilled and doesn't finish it, but most days she's out begging and licks her plate clean (she won't eat out of a bowl anymore).

·
Registered
766 Posts
These pictures melted my heart. She's a sweetheart.
I wonder what it is with not eating out of a bowl anymore.
Neither will my old girl Mouse.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting! Maybe it's more difficult? She tends to lay down to eat these days because her hips are pretty weak. She can stand for a bit if I put it up on something so she doesn't have to bend over. But ever since the kidney disease hit, she's just preferred plates.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fabulous Miss Dahlia is still here. It's been over 9 months since she was diagnosed with kidney disease. She's eating REALLY well, begging for food, coming over to us for attention. She's very weak and can't go down stairs, but for the most part she can get up on her own (unless she gets stuck someplace weird and can't get purchase).

On May 17, we celebrated her 11th Gotcha Day! I honestly never thought we'd still have her there so it was really special. I took her down to her favorite park from where we lived before and we just hung out there for an hour, walking slowly and sniffing and laying in the grass. There were pictures, of course!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts