Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my dog was going to be maybe 85 lbs tops,but now according to the vet,she might top 100! Don't get me wrong,I like big dogs,but my next one will be a lot smaller,not much more than 50 lbs.Some other dogs I'm looking at in the future are: Bassett Hound,Border Collie,minature Border Collie.I could go with Border Collie mix also.I waiting to see how my dog handles being spade and wait until next spring to see what I'll get. What kind of dog likes outdoors,camping,hiking,that doesn't get over 50 lbs.? Any clues or suggestions?

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Most dogs like hiking, camping, etc. I do all that with a 7 lb toy dog right now. Hiking you just have to build up the dog's endurance. Off the top of my head, terriers are small and hardy and some of the smaller herding breeds could suffice. I would think about what other traits you want in a dog, though. A basset hound is about as far from a border collie in personality as you can get.

Fyi, there's no such thing as a miniature border collie. BCs vary on size. I know some that are 20 something lbs up to 60 lbs. Most seem to be in the 30-40 lb range.

I understand what you mean about size though. I love my toy dogs but my next will be something bigger!

·
Registered
288 Posts
That is funny. I thought my dogs were going to be BIG, but they are not. They are not too little, just not as big as I wanted. One can never be sure with mixed breeds, I guess! One of my dogs is supposedly a Lab/Catahoula mix (40 lbs currently) , the other, a Rotti/Aussy mix (approx. 55 - 60 lbs)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most dogs like hiking, camping, etc. I do all that with a 7 lb toy dog right now. Hiking you just have to build up the dog's endurance. Off the top of my head, terriers are small and hardy and some of the smaller herding breeds could suffice. I would think about what other traits you want in a dog, though. A basset hound is about as far from a border collie in lbssonality as you can get.

Fyi, there's no such thing as a miniature border collie. BCs vary on size. I know some that are 20 something lbs up to 60 lbs. Most seem to be in the 30-40 lb range.

I understand what you mean about size though. I love my toy dogs but my next will be something bigger!
Thanks for the info. The reason I said minature Border Collies was that I saw a dog in the car with its owner who was waiting on his wife.The dog was a Border Collie which he said was 15 years and a minature.The only ones I ever saw were in the forty lb range.I would love to get a beagle,but my wife does not want one because she was bit by one as a kid.I've had all kinds,mostly 60 lbs or more.I would like a Beagle,or Beagle mix,around 30-35 at the most.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It's funny.....I don't remember being this tired, taking care of an Aussie puppy fifteen years ago as I am now, taking care of my wonderful new pupster!! He does wear me out, not to mention that I now have arthritis that I didn't have fifteen years ago!

I guess over the last fifteen years I have become a tired old thing!!:eek:

It looks like my next dog might well be a chi wa wa by the looks of things...;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's funny.....I don't remember being this tired, taking care of an Aussie puppy fifteen years ago as I am now, taking care of my wonderful new pupster!! He does wear me out, not to mention that I now have arthritis that I didn't have fifteen years ago!

It looks like my next dog might well be a chi wa wa by the looks of things...;)
The good news is that when I take my dog for walks,it walks me! Not really,she doesn't pull that much,but it's advantage going up hills! I used to have several kinds of dogs,I had a Pit Bull who was a hyper thing and pull me all over the place,but that was 20 years ago. I wish I could take my dog with me this weekend,lots of hills to climb at our church's camp in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks for the info. The reason I said minature Border Collies was that I saw a dog in the car with its owner who was waiting on his wife.The dog was a Border Collie which he said was 15 years and a minature.The only ones I ever saw were in the forty lb range.I would love to get a beagle,but my wife does not want one because she was bit by one as a kid.I've had all kinds,mostly 60 lbs or more.I would like a Beagle,or Beagle mix,around 30-35 at the most.
The thing that would put me off about beagles is the baying, they can make quite a ruckus.

I've had a border collie/lab mix, about 40lbs, best dog ever...

I've known two other border collie lab mixes that were also very awesome dogs, all about 40lbs. The awesome smarts of a border collie, with a lot of temperament and fetch drive of a lab. All were fetch/frisbee/anything you can toss fanatics and would enthusiastically fetch till they dropped. And all would toss the toy in your lap and just beg to go out and play.

Two of them even liked to dive underwater to fetch.

But ya never know when you get a mix puppy what it'll turn out like, it's always a surprise and an adventure.

Frisbee chasing is wonderful for that.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing that would put me off about beagles is the baying, they can make quite a ruckus.

I've had a border collie/lab mix, about 40lbs, best dog ever...
I thought about that,and hounds in general,and pretty much ruled them out.I'm all for shelter dogs mixes and other free ones I might get in the paper and other listings.I usally tend to get my dogs from someone who is giving them away. I had several dogs given to me that had been dumped off.I'll take most anything,as long as it's not a toy breed.I'd be afraid it would get hurt around us,we're klutz's.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
JFYI, there is no such thing as a "miniature" Border Collie....the BC can range from 25 lbs to 65 lbs....they are still a Border Collie....finding a small one like that is not common, neither are the ones above 55 lbs, and if you find someone breeding them for that size i'd look somewhere else....BC's should be bred for their working ability and soundness, not for "pocket" dogs....

JMO

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hehe, I have all sizes ranging from 10 lbs to 138 lbs!!! LOL!

And the truth is! My NEXT DOG IS GOING TO BE BIGGER! Haha!
I love jogging, hiking... going to the beach and swimming and doing all that good stuff... and all my dogs fit that fun.

Callahan my largest at 138 lbs 34 inches tall is my main man for all those things. We jog, hike, swim, SPRINT! lol... we've camped out at the the beach and done all those things. Liking and tolerating these things can either be based on breed, or just how they are raised. Great Danes wouldnt be the first pick for those things because of their size and stamina... but I guess my boy is the exception LOL! He can go forever!

IMO it just depends on the dog... and how they turn out... and how you raise them. Anything goes! My next dane is going to be from strong bloodlines (my current ones are rescues from a breed rescue) and a reputable breeder... I'm actually going to meet the breeder this June :D and the stud I will be getting the pup from is 200lbs + and 36 inches + hehe so yea, BIGGER!

Good luck on your dog search! I hope you find all that you all looking for in a dog! I'm happy that I have!:)
Nessa

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have an Australian Cattle Dog mixed with a bit of Catahoula. Bohrah is about 60lbs and one tough cookie. She is an awesome outdoorsy type trail dog. She's the smallest of my wild bunch but definitely not the weakest! I've never had an ACD before and don't know if her personality is typical of that breed but if it is I may have more in the future. Her strength, speed and agility never ceases to amaze me. She is also just as, if not more, loyal and protective than my GSD's.
I know 60lbs is a bit bigger than what you're looking for but ACD's are not that large. Bohrah is larger than a full ACD. Her size comes from the Catahoula in her. Shelters in my area are always full of ACD mixes. Maybe something worth checking out if you have them where you're at. ;)

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have been saying "my next dog is going to be smaller" for the past 10 years. Then when it is time to take on another dog, I fold and get another Rottie. I think God helped me out by giving me a slightly smaller male this time around though. ;) I am tempted to downsize to a Doberman the next time though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
HeHe..that sounds familiar. Roy is 70#, and we were planning on getting an adult female dog about 35# to add to the family. Instead, we fell in love with Casey at 8 weeks of age at the shelter. DNA testing revealed he is mostly Siberian Husky with a little bit of Great Dane.:eek: He is now 10 months old and 65#...don't know what his final weight will be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts