Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rescued a 3month(or so we think) old puppy from the vet. hhe needed a home so I brought her home about 5 days ago. he had a very traumatic experience before I got him. She had surgery on her ear and the vet gave her medicine(simplicef and rimadyl) to take once I took him home. He was eating very well over the weekend and all of the sudden he stopped eating Sunday night. He hasn't eaten in 3 days and I am very worried. I took him to his vet yesterday and they gave him an IV with fluids and checked him for everything and could not find a single thing wrong with him. They also gave him XRays to check for foreign objects and could not find anything there either. I have been searching the drug Rimadyl and think that may have something to do with his loss of appetite and lethargy. Or is it that he is just getting use to me and the environment?
Anyone have any thoughts.. I am getting very worried about him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When dogs first arrive at a new place, they get very stressed. Especially after all this pup has been through, lack of appetite, diarrhea, lethargy, among others are normal for the first week. One thing that is good news is the fact that you took him to the vet and nothing was wrong with him. I would say 1) change the food if problem continues 2) give him lots of water 3) Do not free feed for now IMO. Feed him three times a day 6a,12p,6p and that way you will be able to tell if he starts eating or not. I'm pretty sure it is stress but show him lots of love, let him get to know you and accept you as his best friend, and things should be fixed within the next two weeks. Remember, even a puppy without traumatic experiences gets these symptoms, now imagine a 3 month old pup going through traumatic events, surgery, new house, new people...... It's normal. Just show him lots of love and make him feel confident and he will love you like no other for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was just curious if you had any updates on your puppy. It's funny how becoming a dog owner will make you sympathetic to other owners. I stress all the time over how our puppy is doing. I hope your new dog has settled in and all is well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts