Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 3 month old Boston Terrier, and I'm in the process of trying to house-train her. I've housebroken other dogs of mine by crate training and of course always reinforcing positive behavior. I had a super easy time with my last Boston, with him being almost fully housetrained within the first 2 weeks I had him! My problem with my new little girl is she absolutely REFUSES to go outside. Granted, I have only had her for 2 days, so i realize its still VERY soon, but ive never encountered this problem with any of my other dogs. I have been taking her out about every hour to hour & a half, and keep her in a crate when I can't watch her. She goes out about 20-30 minutes after drinking any water, and I give her about an hour to go poop after she eats. She's spent almost more time outside today as she has inside! I took both doggies out earlier and let them play for about an hour. My older dog did his business fine, but she never did go. As soon as I came back in with her, she peed on the floor. Granted, she does always go right at the front door on the linoleum, only 2 accidents on the carpet. I take treats out with me so I can reward her when she goes, but she wont go!!!! I even tried taking the potty pads & newspaper outside and put it on the grass. nothing. Everytime she pees, I clean it up with paper towels, then take the paper towels outside along with her and put it on the grass where she can smell it, and tell her potty goes OUTSIDE. I thought I was doing everything right....but I can't reinforce good behavior when theres no good behavior to praise! Any tips????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, Finally got her to go pee outside, although no pooping yet. ALTHOUGH....she still refused to go in the grass. She went back off the grass and into the parking lot at my apartments. She had to go on the asphalt. So I'm assuming shes only comfortable with going on smooth hard surfaces. I thought that may be a possibility yesterday so I put her in the low grass by the tree line. Where it was more mossy than grassy, still didn't want to go there either. Hmmmm....any suggestions??

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Puppies are very sensitive to the surfaces they get accustomed to for bathroom duties. Take her to the pavement for now so you can begin the rewarding process. You can encourage her to get closer and closer to the edge of the pavement. Most of the time once they grow up a bit they will go on the grass just fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did reward her big time this morning when she went on the pavement, and we just back in from a walk, where we started in the grass, then walked around the complex on the side of the road, where she had the option of grass or pavement. Didn't do anything, but as soon as we got back inside and took her leash off, there she goes in the floor in the kitchen! I guess I should be lucky she hasnt had that many accidents in the carpet and its easy clean up. I had another thought, but not sure if its a good idea or not, but at least it will get her to stop going in the house....

My back patio is wooden, not sure if she will go there or not, but thought about putting several puppy pads out back and letting her spend some time out there until she goes. Maybe If i can get her used to going out there, even though it is on wood and puppy pads, then transition her to the grass? At least it wouldnt be inside....but I would hate for her to think thats where she has to go ALL the time after the transition, and still not go in the yard.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You will never get the pee smell out of the wood. I would get a small piece of linoleum from somewhere, and put it outdoors in your yard. Then you can make it smaller as time goes by, and eventually get rid of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts