Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my puppy's harness on and he's a playful little guy when his harness is off, but once I put it on, he will have nothing to do with me. I've had it on him for 2 hours now, and he's still pouting. I don't want to take it off because he has to learn to wear it, but I also don't want a sad puppy. I've checked it, and its not too tight, its kind of loose, but I figured I'd let him get used to it being on him before I make it tighter.

How much longer do you think his pouting spell will last?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
To get a dog used to something the best way is to take it slow. Associate the harness with good things. :) Get the harness out and hold it by his face and let him sniff it, praise him and give him a treat. A little later, just lay it on his back for a second, praise and treat. Later, put it partially on him, praise and treat. The next day, put it on him for a second, then take it off, while treating and praising. A little later, put it on again, leaving it on for 30 seconds and so on. Build up to wearing it and associate it with good things.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He won't hang out and lay with me like he used to (or when the harness isn't on). Instead he runs and hides under the couch or in the corner. He was really hyper and playful before I put it on, and the minute was on him he did a complete 180 and just layed there. He was all wags and tails when my husband came home and then when I picked him up, he squirmed and hid again.

Yes, I should have taken the harness thing slow... I'll take his leash training slower. He hates that too!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You can start over with the harness. Put it away for a couple days, get some great, smelly treats (dried liver, for example) and then go at it again. :) Get a new toy and put the harness on the toy. Associate it with things he loves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts