Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so right now he's not technically mine... Toby is a cattle dog, although I have a feeling he may be crossed a tad with border collie. He's a foster dog, I've had him since he was 10 weeks old. He's now 17 weeks on Monday... He's become my best friend so quickly. He's amazing. I can't imagine what I did with life before him anymore.

The reason I chose to foster a dog rather than get my own was due to me possibly moving overseas to Canada or the US next year.. But I don't know how I can give him back at this point! I've emailed several pet shipping companies to get quotes on an estimate of how big he may be next year just to see what costs I'm looking at. First quote was $3500, but the most recent lowest one was only $2100. Not that I have this money to spare, but it's at least achievable I think.. On top of that is his adoption fee ($485 .. this is all Australian $'s btw) So he's quite an expensive pup if I choose to keep him! I also would need to move out of my current housing situation as I want him to have a bit more space outside (we're in a townhouse! 2 walks a day plus 1-2hours at the dog park!), and I want him to have full roam of the house which he can't here cause of my housemates.

Anyways, the questions I'm getting at are: What are pet friendly rental situations like in the US? In places like LA (Studio City, Sherman Oaks type areas, I don't want a dodgy area), or even in Dallas. Like is it hard to get a pet friendly rental?

What about pet insurance? Is it any good over there? What costs would I be looking at monthly for a fairly good pet insurance company?

Has anyone done this before, brought their dog over from a much warmer all year round climate to the US where the 4 seasons are very obvious, i.e. snow and stuff too.. How did the dog go? People keep telling me cause he's an Aussie dog, and an Aussie cattle dog that he won't cope with the cold, let alone snow. :\

Can't think of anything else right now, I really need to figure it all out soon though!

This is Toby:

+ there's a billion other photos cause he's just so darn cute!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
ACDs do fine in cold, don't worry about that. They have nice thick undercoats that develop nicely when they live somewhere cold.

The pet insurance here is terrible when compared to the pet insurance available in Australia or England. May not be worth getting, depending on the circumstances and where you live. Some companies are better than others. Read the fine print.

It's possible to find pet-friendly housing, but it may take a lot of extra work. Apartments rarely allow larger dogs (over 25 pounds or so), so you might end up paying more for a townhouse or single home.

I hope you can find a way to keep him! He's a cutie!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that! I know there's ACDs living over there, I met quite a few in Canada. Just everyone here seems to think that because he was born here, that he'll only be able to handle climate here...

Really? I thought pet insurance was fairly good there! That's unfortunate. I've never had it here, but a few of my dog-loving friends have it for their dogs and absolutely praise it. They also seem to be the ones who end up with more incidents than the friends I have without insurance! Go figure!

I'm already finding it hard to find pet friendly here, very hard in fact. I don't mind paying a little bit extra if it means pet friendly. Even if I wasn't able to keep Toby, I'd definitely be getting a pup of my own over there eventually. I can't imagine living without a dog!

Thanks for the info! He really is cute! :p

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, ask your friends which insurance company they use, because most of the ones I've looked at don't seem worth it (too many exclusions, only partial reimbursement, very high premiums, etc.). And from what I've heard of the UK/Australian pet insurance system, it's fairly comprehensive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is not hard at all to find a pet-friendly place to stay, although you will need to pay for either a deposit or monthly fee. It varies from $75 to $400, depends on where you live. When you look for an apartment/house to rent, they will tell you if it is pet friendly and cost for your pet.
Pet insurance, unfortunately I only know from petsmart (petsmart.com), again it varies from around $30 and up.
And regarding the weather, I don't think you need to worry about snow if you are thinking about moving to Dallas or LA. I live in Houston (from Indonesia), 4 hours drive to Dallas, winter season is very mild and not very long either here in Texas. I feel the waether here in Texas is no different than back home :D . LA is not very much different either.
Good luck and I hope you'll get to bring Toby with you! He is a cutie!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Yeah I know there's no snow in LA and Dallas very rarely gets super cold. I have family in Dallas & some near Hot Springs, Arkansas too. We often go over there for Christmas and stuff, and usually get a bit of snow in Arkansas. But I still don't know for certain where I'll end up living! Too many factors to know yet! For all we know I may end up in New York! (If I could afford it! :D)

I'm definitely going to attempt to save extra money to try and bring him, he's going to cost more to get there than I am!!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I'm in the Dallas area, and I agree that this is a very pet friendly area. But I have another thing to consider - If it is so expensive to ship a pet, could you instead simply buy a ticket along with you on a plane or a boat? I've never transported ny dog, but for those prices, it seems like you'd be able to get nice transportation, if Customs is not a road block ???

·
Registered
529 Posts
You should be able to find plenty of pet friendly rentals in the U.S.

Also, I don't know what leash laws are like in Australia but in the U.S. there are very strict leash laws just about everywhere. Also dogs here are generally not allowed in most public buildings. I know a lot of places in Europe are a lot more lax about dogs than in the U.S. but I am not familiar with what laws Australia has.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never thought about prices on a boat, that could actually be cheaper! But much, much longer. Unless I went via boat too... Any one done that? Haha. The cost of shipping him that I was quoted for includes all vet stuff and pick up from my house, check in at the airport, vet checks and paperwork filled out, basically they take care of everything. I could easily do the check ins, vet stuff, paperwork myself but I haven't found a way to just be paying for the flight/airport stuff...

Leash laws here are pretty strict as well. Definitely not like Europe unfortunately. I thought there was a few places in the US that were great for pets? Like San Francisco and a few others.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Lots of places are great for dogs, but most places have leash laws... and many places have dog parks for some off-leash time. Once you get used to the leash and cleaning up after the dog, many cities are very dog friendly. As far as I know, StarBucks encourages people to bring their dog to sit outside with them...And other coffee shops do also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys - Just thought I'd give you an update!

I think the rescue I'm fostering him through has had quite a few issues with their co-ordinators not getting along, forcing out the founder, etc.. Anyways, basically got told that there's a high chance no one will follow up on most of us now that one of the co-ordinators is resigning.. aka, it's quite likely Toby is now mine/left with me.

Kind of in a bit of a confused state. As much as I love him dearly, I've really half-assed things from the start with him due to not thinking I'd have him this long/forever. I didn't do it properly how I would have done it all if he was my own dog from the start. I just feel bad, like I've messed up his chances. I know that's not true, he can use a lot of solid training and be wonderful. But just my moving overseas at some point thing, not sure if he's better off finding a good home here, and I'll get another once I figure out where I'm definitely going to spend a longg amount of time living. (Country wise).

I'm just in a weird state of mind right now. He's cuddling with me on my bed while I write this, how can I not want him? I do want him. I just don't know if it's the right decision or not for both of us.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
1. Regardless of training, do you want him ? (Yes)
2. Is it a significant hardship for you to move him ?
3. If you get a new dog, would you train him? (Yes)
4. Can you apply the same training to Toby (Yes!!!)

... The only unknown here (from my lack of personal experience) is number 2. From the sound of it, for "the devil you know" :) ... it sounds like moving is not a big hardship for you. I don't know about overseas moving, but I have moved or helped move dogs all across the US from South Carolina to Ohio to Texas to California to South Carolina to New Jersey back to South Carolina ... and it never seemed much harder than moving to a new house a few miles away, a far as the dog was concerned...

So I say stick with him...and start re-training him now.

BTW, if you come to Dallas, Texas, teach him how to say "Howdy Ya'll" :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Many of us here have rescues, adult dogs we adopted who had little to no training. Now, if I can take a terrified, unsocialized 3 year old dog with no training other than housetraining and in four months have him mastering down-stays, sit, spin, and fetch, surely you can firm up your training of a 17 week old puppy. If you want him. If you don't, then find him a good home now, while he's still small and adorable. The older he gets, the harder it will be to find him a home.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1. Regardless of training, do you want him ? (Yes)
2. Is it a significant hardship for you to move him ?
3. If you get a new dog, would you train him? (Yes)
4. Can you apply the same training to Toby (Yes!!!)

... The only unknown here (from my lack of personal experience) is number 2. From the sound of it, for "the devil you know" :) ... it sounds like moving is not a big hardship for you. I don't know about overseas moving, but I have moved or helped move dogs all across the US from South Carolina to Ohio to Texas to California to South Carolina to New Jersey back to South Carolina ... and it never seemed much harder than moving to a new house a few miles away, a far as the dog was concerned...

So I say stick with him...and start re-training him now.

BTW, if you come to Dallas, Texas, teach him how to say "Howdy Ya'll" :)

I'm only 20, so moving is pretty simple for me. Pack a suitcase and I'm good to go. Nothing excessive to move. Except now for Toby. If I had a really well paying job I'd have no problems saving $2100. I'm just worried I won't save enough in time. I've been trying to find a job since January. I don't even have a place to live right now, it's tough. I'm sure he'd be a lot cheaper to put on a plane right now to go overseas than he will full grown next year! Maybe I should just ship him over now :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many of us here have rescues, adult dogs we adopted who had little to no training. Now, if I can take a terrified, unsocialized 3 year old dog with no training other than housetraining and in four months have him mastering down-stays, sit, spin, and fetch, surely you can firm up your training of a 17 week old puppy. If you want him. If you don't, then find him a good home now, while he's still small and adorable. The older he gets, the harder it will be to find him a home.
I'm sure you've had a lot more experience than I have though. I've grown up with dogs, but it's always been my parents doing everything. Toby is the first dog I've had to totally pay for, look after, train, feed, vet, everything. It's all so much different this time around than with my other family dogs. I've been working (unpaid) as an assistant dog trainer the past few months to gain some knowledge, the basics are fine, but it's other issues that I don't know what to do about... such as excessive food guarding from other dogs like my friends dog we live with. He gets so aggressive and savage. It's concerning.. :(

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
This is a great age to move, but I'm not sure about the timing. I believe the cost of living may be more expensive in the US & Canada, and I think the job situation is worse than in Australia ? However, the advantage of a non-college, entry-level position is that you can get one at McDonald's etc., or maybe at PetsMart for minimum wage. I assume you'd need a roommate or two for an apartment. Not sure about immigrant issues, but the accent might be a charming plus. Is there a reason for moving, now?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I moved when I was 18 to Canada for 16 months. Came back here last August unfortunately and it's my biggest regret. I found it much easier to live over there than I'm finding there. The accent definitely was a charm for getting jobs! :p. I never had to work at a position such as McDonalds, I had 4 jobs while I was there. 3 of which I loved dearly, and one was just a 2 week fair thing that was an experience but nothing worthwhile. I survived off minimum wage, even managing to save enough to spend summer in the US with my family there. I didn't mind it at all working for min. wage, I liked the work, loved living there, just overall I enjoy life more over there, it's hard to explain.. I want to move back cause I just don't fit in or belong here. I dislike a lot of things about Australians, the guys are terrible, the bogan accents are very off putting, it's too hot, just a bunch of stuff. I apologize to any Australians! I know not all of us are like that, but the majority overrules. So, I want to move back to the US/Canada! :(

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I understand... the grass is always greener :) I had an intern working with me in Texas. He lived all of his life in Texas. He asked me about getting a job in Virginia, because he thought that he didn't fit in Texas. I helped get what he thought was his dream job... and so far things are working out well for him.

My only suggestion is that if you come for the long term in the US, the opportunity comes with a high price. You can thrive here easily, but you have to save money early to help with expenses later... As you implied, the expenses for a dog can grow quickly... If you have a talent in demand, then you can live quite comfortably... sometimes all you need is a charming accent :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts