Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my parents always complain that I never ask for anything for my birthday or Christmas, or came up with something when my brother and I bought our house as a house warming gift. For the most part my brother and I have simply wants and needs and just buy what we need.

This year when asked what I want I finally had something. I wanted a Dyson vacuum. It's something I want but I'm hesitant to spend that much on a vacuum myself, so it's the perfect gift. We've been using the hand me down vacuum from my parents and it's just not cutting it against dog hair.

When I first asked for it my Mom scoffed at such an expensive vacuum but about a week later she emailed me saying "Merry Christmas, your early gift is on it's way." It arrived on Thursday.

It's only been about 2 week since my brother vacuumed with our old vacuum most of the house. Saturday I put the dyson together and covered about 90% of the house and filled up the canister 3 times in doing so. This thing is awesome! Though I'm glad my brother works in retail and we always have an abundant supply of box cutters around the house. The dog hair didn't really cause any trouble but MY long hairs just wrap around the brushing rod. So once I finished vacuuming the house I cut my hair away from the brushing rod and had a big old pile of my hair to trash too.

For those of you contemplating a dyson animal vacuum to help with pet hair I'll tell you it's worth it. Plus it runs really quietly, my brother slept through my vacuuming the entire house except his room. Didn't even notice a peep.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree! We have a Dyson and I will never switch back to anything else. With two cats and a dog it does make a difference! My daughter has 3 foot long hair too and I have the same problem with the long hair wrapping around the bar. I just keep a goods pair of scissors handy :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
my dyson lasted for 5 years before it gave up the ghost. it was money well spent. ive currently got a henry, which is good, but you get that 'doggy' smell just before you need to change the bag! as soon as this is kaput (ive already broken the front casters but hubby wont give in yet!) im buying another dyson!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I need a vacuum. Good to know! This crappy little vacuum isnt cutting it. Like my allergies are getting worse because I can't get the hair out the carpet. I have to hand brush the carpet with a bristly hard tile brush to push it out and then I'm not even sure how much is left.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I love my Dyson! had it about 5 years now, and it still kicken fine..a little worse for wear, but no working issues and with dogs, rabbits, birds and gerbils..between the feathers, dander, fur, shavings, and hay? before I got the Dyson I had a Kenmore..it was so usless on that tangle that we were sweeping the carpets because it was all we could do, every vaccum we bought died within 5 minutes of trying to clean that tangle up, the blue carpets were seriously green from hay dust ground into the carpet. spent $500 on a Dyson as soon as they became available in my area..it easily got the mess off the carpets and so well that when my brother dropped by he asked if we had shampooed the carpets lol

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'm another Dyson fan! I've had mine for five years and it's still going strong. I will be buying a new Dyson animal ball when we get the new house and use the current one as well. There's just no other brand of vacuum I'd even consider.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Our OLD vacuum finally died two days ago. It lasted 7 years and I vaccum every night. :)
Thanks for the recommendation because I have been wondering about this vacuum for some time now.
I will be getting a Borzoi in 2013 (LONG Hair and lots of FUR) and this should help with that. :D

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Oh goodie! Now I know what my next vacuum will be - mine is about kapoot, but wasn't sure if the Dyson thing was all hype or not. Glad to hear they actually do work as well as they claim!

Now....about that bladeless fan.....hmmmmm?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh goodie! Now I know what my next vacuum will be - mine is about kapoot, but wasn't sure if the Dyson thing was all hype or not. Glad to hear they actually do work as well as they claim!

Now....about that bladeless fan.....hmmmmm?
Haha yeah on commericals alone I was sceptical but a co-worker with two labs got one as a wedding gift last year and loves it so I believed it worked as advertised. Really it worked even better than I expected too. Don't know anything about how well their fan works.

I just like that even though the vacuum itself is expensive their aren't additional costs to factor in along the way. No bags to buy or filters to replace, the filters are easy to remove and you hand rinse them with cold water.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The bladeless fan works well and I've seen a hand dryer they make commercially using hte same technology that actually DRIES your hands. I'm wondering about the new space heater they have out.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I wish I could afford a Dyson. They are too expensive for me.
I hear ya! We made a bit of a compromise since we had a good paycheck recently. The Dyson hand vac! We've got linoleum tile floor through the entire house, which is relatively small, so a carpet vacuum has never been the best choice for us. We just bought the dyson hand vac for the odd touch-up in the corners when I don't want to do a full cleaning, getting the sweeping pile and doing the couches. AWESOME! It was almost $200 but instead of having to sweep dog, cat and my hair several times a week I can do it once with the occasional touch up plus it actually pulls stuff out of the couch cushions! I would have loved to buy a full size but we really lack the space to store it and the $$$ to spend. Seems like a TON for a hand vac but it has turned out fantastic!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've gone through 3 dysons in 2 years.

I'll stick with my central vacuum now thanks ;D

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Our OLD vacuum finally died two days ago. It lasted 7 years and I vaccum every night. :)
Thanks for the recommendation because I have been wondering about this vacuum for some time now.
I will be getting a Borzoi in 2013 (LONG Hair and lots of FUR) and this should help with that. :D
Ugghhh!!!!.........I want the vacuum AND the BORZOI!!!!! I am definitely envious now!!! Lol!!! :)

I have a Hoover Empower Widepath....too darn heavy to push! Believe it or not I got a Eureka stick vac/convertible for $14.00 and it does the best job on tile floors I have ever seen! Lol! Too funny! :)

If I ever want to spend a small fortune on a vacuum......I too was wondering for a long time about this Dyson. Hmmm............something to ponder.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've gone through 3 dysons in 2 years.

I'll stick with my central vacuum now thanks ;D
Is this the norm with dysons? Or is your dog hair just hardcore? lol
I bought 2 pet hair erasers from Bissel...went through 2 of them in under a year as well...my second one going to the vacuum repair shop at least 3 times.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Is this the norm with dysons? Or is your dog hair just hardcore? lol
I bought 2 pet hair erasers from Bissel...went through 2 of them in under a year as well...my second one going to the vacuum repair shop at least 3 times.
Well according the the repair shop I finally went to dyson models from the past 3 years are the ones he sees in all the time. That and dysons customer service is the worst I have ever had.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts