Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear is a part of the wounded worriors program as a service dog with the army and was assigned to my little brother to help him cope with his PTSD, they lived in texas for the last three months together and get along well but now my brother is finished with his time in the army and he gets to keep bear. Bear was rescued from a fighting kennel, so to blame him for being a dangerous or fighting animal is just ridiculous. He's got a good heart and loves to play and be loved on when his vest is off. When my brother came home yesterday we had him come into the house with my other 3 dogs so that they could see him and calmn down cause they love him and havent seen him for months.
My other three dogs are a boxer (Rocky), a sharpea (Codiac), and a boxer heeler mix (my dog Yoshito), when the dogs had calmned down we had them all in my room and brought bear in the kitchen, when we took codiac (the sharpea) out to see how they handeled each other bear didnt give any warning whatsoever he just grabbed codiac by the back of his neck and locked on, there was no growling or standing hair and it took us about 30 seconds to get bear to let go. Codiac and Rocky will sometimes fight but never in such a harsh way, with them its mostly like bickering brothers we'll yell at them and pull them apart and its back to normal (they havent fought in months). we went and got a muzzle for bear and tryed again a little later but bear still wants to fight with codiac, we havent even introduced Rocky to him.

Im looking for some advice on how to get these guys not to hurt each other, the boxer would probably pick a fight with Bear cause he's a jerk like that but he wouldnt be able to handle Bear and im worried about coming home to dead dog's. I dont want to have bear in a muzzle all the time cause he could get it off and it could still go bad so i was thinking about building a kennel for him. We know its going to take a while for the animals to get used to each other but im afraid we'll never be able to trust that they wont fight when we're away or even while we are there. any thoughts on how i could handle this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I think the introduction was way to fast. It should have been on neutral territory with a walk. I would keep Bear and your other dogs away from each other. Put up a baby gate in a hallway or something and put bear in it. Or you can crate train him. I would also walk the dogs together. Have your brother walk Bear and you walk Codiac and your other dogs(if you walk them together). If not rotate them with walking. Don't let them together nu-supervise at all! I would also think a service dog would have been trained to be friendly with all dogs and people. I am not familiar with the service dogs for the army though. Maybe Codia gave bear a look and Codiac actually started it.

Have your dogs been properly socialized with other dogs? With your boxer being a "jerk" sounds like he just wasn't socialized.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Service dog's are supposed to be trained to not be aggresive but Bear was definetley the aggresive one there, My dogs arent socialized, its honestly not that surprizing that they want to fight cause Bear is the new guy in their turf but Bear is just to dangerous, its not his fault but he was trained to kill where my dogs fight to asert themselves. thank you for the walking idea i think we'll give that a go.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Don't care what you do, but please do not leave dogs alone as you are correct, you will have a dead or severely injured dog.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Keep them.separated. I dont know any one who would use an aggressive dog to train as.a service dog. If he was fought, or bred specifically for dog aggression, you won't be able to cure it, just manage it.

It is not safe to leave a dog muzzled alone. Build a kennel, or find him someplace without other dogs.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Was Bear on or off duty? It's possible he was trained not to engage while his vest is on. Actually, it's highly probably, because otherwise you'd have heard about Bear doing this in public while on duty. There are a lot of dogs out there.

Keep the dogs separated at all times. Shoving a strange dog in the face of a former fighting dog is asking for a fight, no matter what kind of training he's had.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Kennel your dogs or put them in another room when Bear is present. I would be concerned if they are using this dog as an actual "working outside the home" service dog.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I had a dog which would do this. Then again its characteristic of a Pit Bull to not make a big fuss before an attack. He'd simply grab the dog once in his reach.

I'm assuming as a rescued fighting dog this dog is a Pit Bull. Which means that regardless of whether or not he was a fighter he should never be left alone with other dogs. Including if you had raised him from a pup. You are right you run the risk of coming home to a dead dog.

FYI fighting dogs are not trained to kill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts