Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just got a new dog at home, and she is great! She is super friendly, quite, and she sleeps all night. But she is really afraid of a lot of things when we go on a walks. I don't know what to do. Normally, a person on a bike will come by, and we try to walk away, but she is still scared. Addie is a big dog; she is a mix between a pit bull, border collie, and possibly blue heeler, but we don't know for sure. Any tips on how to calm her down? I pet her and try to get on her level and talk to her, but she still is afraid. And she shakes, SO terribly, it scares me. I usually bring her home, and then she is fine. Any tips?[/COLOR]

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Shell, your link or whatever isn't working!

I like the Scared Dog Blog. And I love Look at That, though I use Look at Me*. My dog would get spooked by anything out of place, a bag on the sidewalk, a garbage can on its side, things like that. I taught him to look at me on command and then when he'd see something that spooked him, I'd use the command and pop a treat in his mouth. Now, whenever he sees something that scares him, he automatically looks at me and is fine. (I still do try to treat him at least 50% of the time.) It takes time, but it's a wonderful method to use, whichever one works for you.

*ETA: I use Look at Me instead of Look at That because Kabota doesn't follow a point gesture. He'll look at my outstretched finger and that's it. If your dog will follow a point gesture (most will), use Look at That. If they won't, try Look at Me.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That's weird, I'm still not seeing it. Huh. Let's see if this works, it's a great picture.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I see the pic in both our posts Amaryllis, so I figure at least one or the other is visible to other readers.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I can see both, but couldn't see Shell's when Amaryllis posted.

LOL at cheese truck! Every December for the first 6 years in our new house, we received a huge cheese package addressed to the previous owners. The first few times it was funny, after 4 years we dreaded finding that package on our porch. Finally, it stopped.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I can see both, but couldn't see Shell's when Amaryllis posted.

LOL at cheese truck! Every December for the first 6 years in our new house, we received a huge cheese package addressed to the previous owners. The first few times it was funny, after 4 years we dreaded finding that package on our porch. Finally, it stopped.
I'm allergic to milk, so a random box of cheese would basically be a death threat, lol.

Now I can see both, too. Oh, computers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts