Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She is awesome!!! But after reading the stickies I have a question or two.

She went pottie a couple of times before I caught on. Now, she goes to the door already if we are near that room with the door to her part of the yard(house is kind of big, I understand for now). She is really good already and going outside. I could not be happier. You guys are right about watching the dog. I have been watching her pretty much none stop but this morning I was making breakfast and as soon as I turned around she pooped. So I walked over to it (she followed) and told her that's a bad girl and it has not happened again. She pooped the next time outside by going to the door. Earlier I was petting the cat and the dog went pottie in my bathroom then kind of on my pants. I think she was just excited though so it was not a big deal. We have hardwood floors, it's not the end of the world, just a waist of toilet paper. Ha ha. But I mean, if I am not playing with her, or she is not sitting at me feet *like right now while I am on the computer she is probably going to the bathroom somewhere.

What should I do when she goes to the bathroom indoors? The stickie I think said to praise her as if it was outside. I am curious if I read that right?!

I already started the biting thing where I let her bite me but if it's too hard I say ouch and pull away and pause for 20 seconds. It confuses her but she it seems like she knows what I am talking about because as soon as I say ouch she lets up. I let her because I think it feels good on her gums, especially in the back so if my finger is in the back of her mouth I let her press harder just because I figure she gets relief for now (until her teeth come in all the way and it actually causes real pain *like her front teeth do)

I want to know how I can get her to not scratch my face when we are playing. We took her to Pet Smart to get her finger nails clipped because it's free already but it did not help. But it really itches and burns. I saw her walk in her pee outside so I hope I don't get an infection.

She signals me by running to the rug in the living room to play, she will do that little thing where her rear end is up and her front paws are extended all the way out in front of her (downward dog in yoga terms). I roll around on the floor with her and lay on my back while she jumps and rolls around on me. Is this ok too? I don't her to become dominate over me?

She just wants to play and play and play and that's cool because I work at home and have so much energy and my girlfriend thinks I'm like a dog when she get's home w/ mine. But I got tired and I can tell the dog already hates the computer room. I made a bed by the computer and put a couple toys for her to play with but she just sits on my feet. I don't want her to not like me for not playing with her when she wants you know? Or hate me for locking her in the computer room. I also don't want her to hate this room because I want her companionship and this is where I am at most of the day.

Anyhow, this forum is awesome! Again, awesome. I cannot wait to grow w/ this little girl and cannot wait for her to learn fetch!

Is there a way I can teach her to play fetch with balls and everything else but NOT WITH frisbees? I play discgolf and play on a lot of back country courses where a dog could have the time of her life. I want her to learn to be patient and not want to play with the discs I throw or other people throw (I would probably get shot).

CJ

One more thing (maybe), when I am not doing anything w. her why does she sit and stare and cry? What do you think it is? Also, she poops and pees just about every 30 minutes. And she only ate a handful of food this morning (which is probably a lot for her). But I had to go to the bathroom and immediately thought to myself... oh NO! So I looked out the door and she was sitting there peeing on the rug we play on (she pooped on it earlier). I took her on a walk around my property and she saw deer for the first time (I think) and she liked it but she pooped and peed again! Peed 3 times actually. Why does she go so much?

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Ill try my best.. This is what worked for me.

Tether a leash to you at all times while inside the house. It will help you keep an eye on her and will instill the beginning of obedience. You can communicate with her ALOT in all aspects of beginning training while doing this at this stage. It will aso help you see her signs..feel her movements when she goes to position to potty.

When you cannot be with her closely...crate her. Which is only temporary until her potty training gets a bit better. Or..like many others, including myself..The crate has a permanent place in my house.

I dont praise while pottying indoors, I just remove the pup from the house and then brought outside to finish..or whatever you can convince them to do.. Praise highly when she goes potty outside..Throw a party complete with party favors and treats.

As for rough play..EASY!!! became a favorite word here..and really still is used to this day.

I roll on the ground with my dogs too.. They have to learn the limits though.. When mommy sounds upset... They know it is time to ease up.. EASYYYY!!!! is a great word.

There is a time to put a cap on the play at your will... Here it is crate time and a stuffed kong..

As for fetch..She is a lab...throw something..Once she gets it..It is going to be so on..:D But once you teach her fetch... She will want all flying objects according to my experience...Hopefully someone will come along to help you with that.

You need to get her to a vet anyways..I had to take my girls out every 15 minutes for weeks... And sure had alot of yard parties....But, She should be looked at by a vet and make sure she is healthy. To rule out any problems that may affect her potty training.

I read your other thread and hope that you know that you do have a great breed. One that is very hyper..needs lots of excersice and mental stimulation. You have stumbled on a great site that has answers for everything training wise. Be very patient with your new pup. Deal with the stuff that is exhausting, and research,research,research. And one day we will hear all about the lab that stole the discs at the course.:p:D

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Great dogs. Remember that Labs need lots of obedience training so start young with a puppy kindergarden or STAR Puppy class as soon as you get clearance from the vet wrt to her shots.

Pretty much what "digits mama" said - I'll just add a little bit.

I already started the biting thing where I let her bite me but if it's too hard I say ouch and pull away and pause for 20 seconds. It confuses her but she it seems like she knows what I am talking about because as soon as I say ouch she lets up. I let her because I think it feels good on her gums, especially in the back so if my finger is in the back of her mouth I let her press harder just because I figure she gets relief for now (until her teeth come in all the way and it actually causes real pain *like her front teeth do)
Be careful with this. To say that Labs are 'mouthy' is an understatement. They love to have something in their mouth - toys or body extremities make no difference to them.

Labs have naturally soft mouths and you are correct to encourage that. An adult Lab can carry an egg in its mouth without breaking it - no joke. You can put your hand in their mouth and when you take it out there won't be the slighest mark on it. But a lot of people, especially kids, get scared when any dog puts its open mouth on them - especially a big dog like a Lab. So try to start teaching no bite.

.She signals me by running to the rug in the living room to play, she will do that little thing where her rear end is up and her front paws are extended all the way out in front of her (downward dog in yoga terms). I roll around on the floor with her and lay on my back while she jumps and rolls around on me. Is this ok too? I don't her to become dominate over me? ... I don't want her to not like me for not playing with her when she wants you know? Or hate me for locking her in the computer room.
When a Lab puppy does a play-bow, it's cute. Whan a big goofy adult Lab does it, it is hilarious.

Labs love to wrestle around even when they are adults so just do it as you can and don't worry so much about the "dominate" thing. You will be showing your leadership in a lot of other ways.

She won't "hate" you - but she will never give up trying to get you to play with her. She would play with you 24-7 if she could.

Just remember all this cute puppy stuff when you get a 75-pound lapdog wannabe trying to sit on your lap while you are on the computer or watching TV :)

Is there a way I can teach her to play fetch with balls and everything else but NOT WITH frisbees? I want her to learn to be patient and not want to play with the discs I throw or other people throw.
If you are willing to work at it, Labs can be taught pretty much anything once you get them over their initial stubborness. So yes you can teach her to leave the discs alone - and fetch everything else. But don't expect it from your puppy. You can work on this after you have done some basic obedience.

Why does she go so much?
This really isn't too much for a young puppy - they are pee and poop machines. But if it concerns you ask the vet the next time you go in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts