Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new puppy on Thursday. She was peppy, pouncing and energetic. Yesterday morning she ate and drank but after a few hours she started throwing up. She was very lethargic so I rushed her to the vet. I knew something was wrong. They tested her for everything and she was positive for parvo. She is only 1lb 6oz. She is not a tea cup. Just small. They are going to aggressively fight the disease but im scared because she is so small. The vet really didn't say the chances of getting her better or I didn't hear because I was hysterical. He did say we got her there early since she was just showing signs. Does anyone know how this disease works in a little one? I am sick with worry. Can't sleep. Can't eat. I just want her better.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry that your little pup has Parvo and I don't know much about the virus, however the best recommendation for you is too give her all the love you can and don't torture yourself by not eating or sleeping. Doggies can pick up on your pain as well and whether your little baby survives the virus or not you should always give the little darling all the love you can without suffering yourself (they don't want you to be in pain either!).

I hope she gets better! Good luck!

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
If they survive the first week the chances of recovery get better.

You need to advise the breeder of the dog that your puppy has parvo. The puppy had already been exposed when you bought it. Therefore it must have been exposed at the breeder (or worse if you got it from a pet store). Check your purchase contract right away to see what your rights are in the health clause. You may be able to get some of your vet bills covered. But usually you have to let them know right away. Treating parvo can be very expensive.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
There has been quite a bit of success with dogs treated with Tamaflu right away.
Good luck to you and your little dog.
I agree with contacting the breeder ASAP not only should they at least help pay for it but they should be alerting ALL of the other puppy owners to get their puppies checked

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone. The day I found out she had the Parvo I called the breeder right away. I met the breeder to drop off the dog with her so that she could take it to her own vet. She said she would incurre the expense. When I told her how much I paid at the vet for all the tests she pulled out money out of her purse and paid me right there. She also runs a sanctuary for dogs to live out there life at her home so, yes, I thought it very important to tell her right away. The breeder took my baby and her brother, who had been showing symptoms of being sick, with her to the vet. Im sorry to say he went into shock when the vet inserted the IV and passed away. I am happy to say my baby is fighting. She is not on an IV because of her brother, but she is taking the fluids and has been force fed a few times with her not throwing back up. I was also told yesterday that when the vet was getting ready to give her some meds she was "prancing!!" SO INSPIRING TO HEAR! Thank you for all of the advice.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
So glad to hear that your baby is doing well. Keeping fingers crossed and hoping everything turns out fine. Sorry to hear that her brother didn't make it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Treated quickly and aggressively puppies have a 80-95% chance of being just fine from intestinal parvo. If they make it through the first 4 days and are eating that is a huge sign that they are probably going to make it through.

Best of luck to your baby!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there,

We are going through the same thing with our new baby. We adopted her from the shelter a week ago Thursday. By Tuesday she was extremely sick. We took her to the vet Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. By Thursday she was diagnosed with parvo and had started with bloody diarrhea. They kept her overnight on IV. She went to an emergency clinic this weekend. Yesterday she went back to the vet for more IV. Yesterday she finally ate a little and got to come home for the night, but we go back to the vet at 11:00 today. She is still not eating for me today, but has stopped the bloody diarrhea. This is day 8 and we are still fighting! The odds are looking very good.

It is good that the breeder is taking care of the costs. Fortunately the shelter is taking care of ours, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford such good treatment. I think the emergency clinic alone for two nights was over $1000.

Best of luck! She is adorable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there,

We are going through the same thing with our new baby. We adopted her from the shelter a week ago Thursday. By Tuesday she was extremely sick. We took her to the vet Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. By Thursday she was diagnosed with parvo and had started with bloody diarrhea. They kept her overnight on IV. She went to an emergency clinic this weekend. Yesterday she went back to the vet for more IV. Yesterday she finally ate a little and got to come home for the night, but we go back to the vet at 11:00 today. She is still not eating for me today, but has stopped the bloody diarrhea. This is day 8 and we are still fighting! The odds are looking very good.

It is good that the breeder is taking care of the costs. Fortunately the shelter is taking care of ours, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to afford such good treatment. I think the emergency clinic alone for two nights was over $1000.

Best of luck! She is adorable.

I am so sorry to hear that. It is devistating. If the breeder didn't pick up the cost I don't know what we would have done. We would have found a way to treat her but the vet was saying it could get up to more that $1500.00 for her. The hard thing is she is about 100 miles away at the breeders vet and I imagine her in this cold metal cage with no blanky or toys. She still has some diarrhea and won't eat on her own yet but she is holding some food down when they force feed her. I was also told yesterday she was on her feet and was mad because no one was playimg with her! She can be a bit of a princess so I was happy to hear that. The last time I saw her she could hardly lift her head.

Good luck with your new baby! I will pray for her too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hopefully they have put a blanket in with her, and maybe a stuffed animal. They have done that at both the vet and emergency clinic for us. I think they really treat parvo puppies well. It could definitely get to more than $1500, we are already above that. It's good to hear that your baby is eating some, mine isn't. I just had to take her back to the vet as she had bloody diarrhea again. I'm hoping the best for both of us!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I get an "update" from the breeder yesterday on my baby. She said something that bothered me. She said, "she still hasn't been able to hold anything down and is throwing up." This is not what I have been hearing the past couple of days. I felt sick. So I found the vet's number and called myself. They never force fed her anything. She can't keep the fluids down that she is given and is still so very sick. I let the breeder know good or bad I had to know how she was doing. Why misslead someone like she did? So very upset and dissappointed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was just informed a minute ago that my precious baby is now throwing up blood and they think she has a twisted gut. The only option is to operate. She is going in right now. I can only pray her little body can handle it. I don't know. If they don't she won't make it, and if they do she might not either. Yes, I think she misled me the whole time

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through this....I don't know why the breeder, who was perfectly willing to pay your vet bills, would mislead you like that? It's good that you took it upon yourself to call and get the information on your own. I hope she pulls through the surgery. Is there anyway you can travel to the vets to be with her?

Also, I would suggest that you bleach everything she came in contact with, including your car, shoes, carpet etc. I think someone suggested in another similar thread that Parvosol can be used on carpets and furniture. Parvo can last up to 7 months so it's important to kill the virus asap. I know you don't need to think about this right now but it's better to confine it rather than spread it around.

I'm praying for your baby! She looks like mine did at that age!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She made it through the surgery. She has Pneumonia now too. Haven't talked to the vet this morning yet. Does anyone know where I would get Parosol from? I dissinfected my house as much as I could with bleach, Lysol ect. I am oeranoid about it being all over still and would love to try this Parvolsol.

Thanks again to everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am devastated to tell everyone that my precious baby didn't make it. She passed away last night. Her little body was too weak. I love her and will miss her terribley

Attachments

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
So sorry about your puppy.

Rule of thumb...no puppies, elderly, or immunocompromised (sick) dogs for the next year in your house. Despite the best cleaning efforts it will be in your environment for some time.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.