Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there just looking for some help on this Akita I got the other day....

Background info:

I bought this dog off someone in hull, he has no papers or any documents. He's 18 months old we was told. Also said when we picked him up they didnt feed him for 24 hours or walk him in 48 hours... I have no idea how they treated this dog at all. He chewed through the leads they used with him also. I believe it to be an American Akita slo.

Training:

Im trying to train him to sit and stay which is proving difficult, he will sit for food, but on other occasions he's not interested. Is this type of dog still easily trainable at 18 months? and how long will it take for him to get used to us as new owners?

Diet:

We feed him 3 cups of bakers dog food with a small bit of tinned dog food to moisten the dry food up, we feed him twice a day also... He's not interested in any dog treats we got him and no toys, doesnt seem to play much and is only excited etc when he's left home and i return home he likes to jump up etc when i get in the door.

Other info:

He's fine left at home does not wee or mess in the house, does not bark much either. he likes to roam and pull when i walk him as he's always interested in smelling everything like on the hunt. I walk him with a harness rather than a collar as he would pull and choke himself. I am going to get him a vet check up soon also to make sure everything okay.

heres a pic, he's called Storm

Any help or info appreciated

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Can't really offer much advise as I have no real experience with the breed. Once knew someone who owned one, but that was a Japanese Akita.

I got to say you've got yourself a beautiful dog. But then... I like white dogs :p

Akitas aren't the easiest breed around, especially when it comes to learning tricks/commands, seeing that they're very willful. Too bad you didn't get any background info... sounds like your got him from someone shady. Did you know anything about the breed before you got him?

Perhaps you could try to contact other Akita owners to get their advise on the questions you have.

·
Registered
161 Posts
He's fine left at home does not wee or mess in the house, does not bark much either. he likes to roam and pull when i walk him as he's always interested in smelling everything like on the hunt. I walk him with a harness rather than a collar as he would pull and choke himself. I am going to get him a vet check up soon also to make sure everything okay.
He sounds EXACTLY like my doxie so any advice you might get regarding this will be terribly helpful to me too.

And to not completely steal the thread I will add he's a very good looking dog. I wish you many happy (and healthy) years together.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Training:
Im trying to train him to sit and stay which is proving difficult, he will sit for food, but on other occasions he's not interested. Is this type of dog still easily trainable at 18 months? and how long will it take for him to get used to us as new owners?
Dogs are trainable at any age. Obviously when they are older, they may have had the time to develop more bad habits than a puppy but those too can be worked on.
Use the food all the time in the beginning. Every command that is followed should be rewarded. I just use the dog's regular dry food for training because then I can do more training without overfeeding and making them sick to the stomach. One basic starting place is to ask the dog to sit in front of you, facing you. Then feed his dinner piece by piece. If he jumps or stands, put the hand with the food behind your back. Ask him to sit and bring the food back out and reward.
Later, after the commands are trained more strongly, you can start to slowly phase out using food/treats for everything.

Diet:
We feed him 3 cups of bakers dog food with a small bit of tinned dog food to moisten the dry food up, we feed him twice a day also... He's not interested in any dog treats we got him and no toys, doesnt seem to play much and is only excited etc when he's left home and i return home he likes to jump up etc when i get in the door.
I don't know that food brand, I am guessing you are in the UK. But look for a food with meat or fish being the first couple ingredients and preferably no corn. I prefer grain-free, but as long as the grains are not the main ingredient, they're not so bad. Some dogs aren't big on toys and he might just never had the chance to play with toys before. Interactive toys (like playing fetch, tug, using a flirt pole) are often the most interesting to the dog. For the jumping, make sure not to pay attention or pet him when he is jumping. Stand still, turn away and only greet him/pet him when his feet are all on the ground. That should help cut down on the jumping from excitement.

Lots of walking will be good for both his health and you bonding with him. He'll probably need someplace to run also to burn energy (make sure it is fenced or he is leashed!) but walking is time spent with you. If there are training classes near you, talk to some trainers and watch a class and see if you like their style. Then I highly suggest a basic manners/obedience course to get you guys off to a good start.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
What a pretty dog!

I've heard Akitas are harder to motivate than other dogs. This doesn't make them untrainable, it just means you have to work a little harder. Plus, you just got the dog, so it'll be weeks to a few months before he's entirely comfortable with you and his new life. Just take it slow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers guys great advice and help given!

as for the pulling on the lead i think he's gotten better but i think maybe its the fact its a new area he dosnt know, different scents and trails and walking around the area a few times will hopefully get him used to the area. As for the pulling i try hold him close so he learns to walk beside me, and then sometimes give him the rest of the lead and he'll walk in front without pulling

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Lovely dog, and yes you can train the dog even at his age, as for pulling on a walk, i walk Holly on a harness too, she is much better than she was, if she needs a correction i just gently pull on her leash, but not to hard, but please change his food if you can, i do live in the uk and bakers is one of the worse foods you can feed him, Holly is fed on Burns, is not that cheap, at £7.99 for a little 2 kg bag, or try a brand like wagg or something, if he likes his dinner you can train him with chunks of his dry food and see if this will work.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Bakers is awful awful food!!
PLease consider feeding something good for him.

Do you have a pets at home near you?
Burns and wagg are also poor foods.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yeah I live near a pets at home, ah okay well I'll stop using bakers any recommendations for an Akita?
Hmm depends on what you can get near to you. Look at fish4dogs online. (secret hint if you sign up to the breeders club even though you are not a breeder its free and you get it much cheaper)

James wellbeloved is another OK food.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Storm is beautiful. I, too, am sorry and don't know much about handling Akitas. I just know that they're cool dogs and yours reminded me of Pugsley at this one kennel I used to work for, but Pugsley was slightly bigger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay cool I keep am eye out! He has the Akita traits, his head is more bear like, like an American Akita and has the Akita tail also... I'll definitely change his food, any recommended tinned food to mix with the dry food?

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
I like to add warm water to my dog's morning dry food meal. He gets 1 cup of dry food, so I add 1/2 cup of warm (like, bathwater warm but not as hot as coffee or tea) water and it makes a soupy consistency that he loves and it helps make sure he gets enough liquid.
Adding tinned food is good too if its a quality meat product, just not a necessary expense or effort if you feed a good quality dry food.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
ok does a half akita count? Had one for 13 years. My close friend has an Akita. Hers is a great dog. It is a plasma donor for an er vet. They do not even have to tranq him when they get blood from him. This is because she has worked very hard with her dog. Our dogs had similar traits. They would obey, just not as fast as our other dogs. Her other dog is a GSD. Her GSD is very needy and her Akita tends to be more laid back. We laugh because we knew we would never get any obiedence awards with them. Both dogs were not an treat addicts. She brings her 2 over for playdates. Her GSD playing the whole time with my dogs. Her Akita more interested in sniffing.

Beautiful dog. And all white not that uncommon. He looks like an Akita to me. What throws people off is the all white color. They think GSD or husky first. It sounds like he ended up in a way better place. Good luck with him.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
In my sig pic the dog to the left is her. Her name was Shania Twain. Teenage son's dog. Can you guess his teen idol crush? She was nicknamed 'Houdini' Learned to open doors, destroyed kennels, climbed over kennels, jumped 4 ft fences till she was 10 years old. Silly dog. Let her out the back door and she would jump the fence to come in the front door. She even donated blood a few times. She was a hero to a few dogs that needed transfusions. She was great with the kids as they were growing up. She loved to run anytime the snowmobiles or 4 wheelers came out. What she never truly achieved, liking to do obiedence on leash. Have you watched the movie Hachi: a dog's tale If not make sure you have tissues with you when you do?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts