Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I’m new to this fourm and GSD’s! I just picked up my brand new baby GSD mix yesterday. I got him from a local shelter, who did all vaccinatons, deworming etc for free! I’m not sure what hes mixed with, because all they told me that he was German Shepherd Mix. Hes super curious and a little ADHD haha! Anyway, his name is Mateo and hes amazing, but I do have a few questions:
I bought kirkland brand wet/dry food, which has no corn, dyes etc. I’m feeding him about 1 & 1/3 cup dry, and about 4.5oz wet: twice a day. Is this too much/too often?
I hear all this talk about pointy ears, is it a health concern or purely cosmetic? Because his ears are floppy.
Lastly, he seems to do a lot of play biting/teething. Is this normal?
Thanks everyone!
pic aswell

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Hi. For whatever reason, I can't see the pictures. It might be better to use a photo hosting site (I like Flickr) to upload them to, and then copy and paste the codes.

Some shelters label all dogs as "mixes", even when they are obviously purebred.

As for how much to feed him, start with the suggested amounts on the package. If he starts looking too thin, up the amount. If he starts looking too pudgy, cut back a bit. You want to easily feel his ribs, but only see the last pair or two.

As for his ears, it could be he is mixed with a floppy-eared breed. It's also possible for a purebred GSD to have soft ears that never stand. It's mainly a cosmetic concern, in my opinion, because my GSD with nice, upright ears has had so many ear infections that I've lost count.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If he is a pure GSD by 11 months old his ears should be up. If not, then he has soft ears which is not a desirable breed standard (but it does not matter as he is probably neutered and not breeding anyway).

Young German Shepherds use their teeth. That is how the explore everything around them. Get a ball on a rope (I like these: http://www.hightrialk9.com/ball-on-a-rope-toys/). This is what you use to engage the dog. The ONLY time he gets this toy is when you and he are playing (it is "special" and can be used to train because it is a reward). The rope allows you to play tug and allows you to throw the ball further. MUCH training and play can be accomplished with one of these balls AND with that in the dog's mouth, you are not being gnawed on.

I do not know how big he is (weight) or what he looks like (photo does not show). I feed raw.. and kibble.. I think you have the food about correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi. For whatever reason, I can't see the pictures. It might be better to use a photo hosting site (I like Flickr) to upload them to, and then copy and paste the codes.

Some shelters label all dogs as "mixes", even when they are obviously purebred.

As for how much to feed him, start with the suggested amounts on the package. If he starts looking too thin, up the amount. If he starts looking too pudgy, cut back a bit. You want to easily feel his ribs, but only see the last pair or two.

As for his ears, it could be he is mixed with a floppy-eared breed. It's also possible for a purebred GSD to have soft ears that never stand. It's mainly a cosmetic concern, in my opinion, because my GSD with nice, upright ears has had so many ear infections that I've lost count.
Here are some pics from Imgur and Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/29453506567/in/datetaken/

https://imgur.com/gallery/PNt3rxI

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Very cute boy.

The rose ears (not floppy, not prick, halfway between) and short coat make me think maybe GSD/pit type. Strictly cosmetic IMO, not a health issue.

Kirkland is a decent brand and if you're feeding within the midrange for his size then you're likely about right and can easily adjust over time as needed. Wet food isn't adding much in terms of either calories or nutrition so while its a tasty addition, its not needed. For some dogs, adding canned food can end up making them picky about eating dry food so for new dogs, it can be a good idea to feed dry only to start with and just wet aa treats or Kong filling.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

On Flickr, select the picture you want to share, click on the arrow that swoops up and to the right, and then select "BBCode" to copy and paste.

D0A7EC5A-FA3C-40FC-8F7B-CD7A164154C8 by joe nathan, on Flickr

I agree with Shell, likely a GSD x pittie mix. He definitely has rose ears, not floppy ears. While rose ears to technically hang down, they also fold back on themselves. My ADBA-type pittie has rose ears.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I don't see much Pit in there really. Maybe some.. but no side view so hard to tell. The color is Sable. Nice looking dog.

Get one (two are better) of those balls I showed you (the seller is reliable) and redirect the biting and use the ball as a reward toy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I see more lab than pittie here. Or a lab/pit parent.
Quick question: can rose ears be a product of a prick x floppy eared parents? (Neighbours have a lab mix with rose ears and they are trying to figure out what other breed is she mixed with. Most littermates are floppy eared)

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
I had a similar looking dog and he was a GSD x Dobbie ... with prick ears. Go figure...

Depending on how bad the nipping is, you might looking up methods for Bite Inhibition. Bite inhibition training is a good practice, in any case.

Ear 'shape' can come from either parent (note that a female can mate with multiple males, with pups from each male in one litter). Rose ears can come from the mix ... or may come from the grandparents. I don't think that a specific prick x floppy is the only combination to create rose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts