Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please bear with me, this is long but I need to vent.

Background:

The neighbors to my left have 2 small dogs they keep in a kennel outside
24/7. (This by itself irks me, but that's a different rant). One is a little Cairn the other is a doxie. Both nice dogs. The Cairn is a happy, funny little boy. The kennel plenty big enough for the 2 of them and it is in the shade. They also have a house which sits on a pallet so it's off the ground.

Anyway........

For some time now, I've had my suspicions that those dogs don't eat on a regular basis. It appeared to be whenever the young daughter remembered. Although in all fairness (and I was giving them the benefit of the doubt) just because I didn't see doesn't mean it didn't happen. So I just watched.

This past weekend, the entire household left early Friday afternoon. The 2 little dogs barked all nite Friday nite. Saturday they barked all day. By Saturday afternoon, I realized I hadn't seen any activity at their house all day so I went over to check on the dogs.

No food! No water! ... in fact the bowl was bone dry so they'd not had water for some time. And by the looks of the doxie.. they'd not had food in a while either. Hip bones don't protrude overnite!!! Oh, and the grass in the kennel was so tall it was over their heads and the Cairn hopped to get around. HOW DO YOU GO AWAY FOR A WEEKEND AND NOT MAKE SURE YOUR DOGS ARE FED AND WATERED??? :mad:

Well, I took pictures and then I fed them and gave them water. Sunday, still no neighbors so I fed and watered them again. Neighbors get home about 7 PM and guess what....by 9 PM not one single person had gone out to see if they were even alive!!!

I'd tried all day to contact Animal Services but couldn't get anyone. Which doesn't surprise me on a Sunday. I finally called another neighbor who has a few 'friends'. I gave him the pictures, he forwarded them and made a call.

This morning Animal Services came out. They were issued a warning about keeping food and water out for the dogs at all times and I noticed the grass in the kennel was cut. They were also told that AS would be by periodically to check on them.

Summer is just beginning and I'm sure there will be many more weekends they're away. I wish I could say I was confident those dogs would be provided with at least the basic necessities of food and water, but I can't so, I will be checking on them.

I'm fairly sure my neighbors think it was me that turned them in. I don't care.
They have choices. Care for the dogs or surrender them. Those dogs don't have a choice.

Vent over.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
That's great! Or...er...what you did is great! Your neighbors, not so much. I don't think I would've been ballsy enough to actually go over there.
:)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'm glad you were able to get people to start working on the problem!! It just baffles me that people can treat animals like this! Why even have them? I don't get it at all.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Good for you for reporting them!!! Too bad AC didn't get out there while the people were away so they could have been seized.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yes, good for you! Maybe you can serve as an inspiration for some of the other peple who are torn between calling AC or just letting the abuse go by because they're scared of the neighbors. Someone needs to stand p for the suffering animals who don't have a voice.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
So good of you to do this K... I sure hope things make a change for the better for those little guys.

I agree with what the others said. Love your stance on the well being of animals. But hey, thats why i luv ya.

Just maybe, You made a difference in those dogs life, maybe even the neighbors lives.... *hopefully* They all learned a good lesson today:(

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Good for you! Poor pups :(

I have the same situation with my neighbors and their Doxie. Hr was out in the cold(Alaska cold, but summer was almost here so it was about 35 degrees F) from 9am to 10pm, no food, no water, no shelter, just tied up to the porch, shivering and barking like mad. I brought over a blanket, food, and water, and he immediately stuffed his face, drank a gallon, and curled up in the blanket :( They haven't done it again though, which is good.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the support everyone, but "technically" I did not report them. It was my other neighbor who called it in and he did it that way for a reason. :)

I don't think I would've been ballsy enough to actually go over there.
That part was easy. The kennel is in the corner of their yard that abutts mine.

To be honest, I don't think it made any impact on them at all except to maybe piss them off. Oh well...

We'll see what happens, but I'm not expecting much improvement in the situation.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The next weekend this happens, you call me! I'll wire you $, you get them their necessary shots and put them on a flight to me :D

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
The next weekend this happens, you call me! I'll wire you $, you get them their necessary shots and put them on a flight to me :D
Excellent plan, Reno, I know for an emergency situation like this you got some dognapping skills buried deep that you can call on. At the very least it's your turn next for the AC call. The real sad news is that they would probably get a replacement dog or dogs and then complain about how cruel it was that somebody stole their other dogs which as the years go by they will have great but untrue stories about how they showered the stolen dogs with love and care.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
You done Good Girl!

:mad: I think the penalty for animal abuse should be to spay/neuter the owners. No Anesthesia....

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You done Good Girl!

:mad: I think the penalty for animal abuse should be to spay/neuter the owners. No Anesthesia....
I couldn't agree more! :D

Excellent plan, Reno, I know for an emergency situation like this you got some dognapping skills buried deep that you can call on. At the very least it's your turn next for the AC call. The real sad news is that they would probably get a replacement dog or dogs and then complain about how cruel it was that somebody stole their other dogs which as the years go by they will have great but untrue stories about how they showered the stolen dogs with love and care.
You're probably so right Wvasko. As for my dognapping skills... shhhh! :rolleyes:

The next weekend this happens, you call me! I'll wire you $, you get them their necessary shots and put them on a flight to me
K, Mr. 'good' neighbor and I have a plan of action for next time. The details of which I can neither confirm nor deny. :cool:

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Congrats for getting this brought to someones attention. No dog should have to go through that. Hopefully they'll keep up with it now, and if not AS did say they would be back out periodically so if they don't who knows what might happen.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Those poor pups! Thanks for taking them food and water. I'm glad you and your other neighbor have a plan for next time. I hope you'll come and tell us about it. ;)

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I'll chip in on the funds! This is outrageous to say the least. What's the point of having dogs if they are stuck outside all the time? It's not like they are big bad guard dogs (just little bad guard dogs! ;)).

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll chip in on the funds! This is outrageous to say the least. What's the point of having dogs if they are stuck outside all the time? It's not like they are big bad guard dogs (just little bad guard dogs! ;)).
That's what I don't understand.. why have them if you don't want to take care of them.

I hope you'll come and tell us about it.
Yes, I will keep you all updated on the situation. I don't think it's over by any means.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts