Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help you guys.
My neighbor has a female Lab puppy named Koda, and they keep her on a tie out all day, when their not home and when they are. She doesn't have a dog house or obvious shelter that I can tell. I love my neighbors, I'm very close with them, and their two sons. But I am torn, I haven't seen water down for her outside. She is horribly understimulated, and if she gets tangled on anything she is stuck like that all day.
I feel horrible for her, but I don't know what I should do. Talk to the family or call our Animal Control place and ask them to look into it.
Any ideas? I love my neighbors, their sons and the puppy but I feel someone needs to do something.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Being in rescue work, as I am, I am knowledgeable about all the local animal laws.
Some counties and cities have laws that limit the amount of time that a dog can be put on a chain.

For instance, in my county, it is illegal to keep a dog chained for longer than one hour per day.

Look up some of your locality's laws on dogs and other animals.

Are your neighbors violating any of them?

If so, you can call Animal Control and report them.

If you do report them, Animal Control will usually only give them a warning the first time.

Then, if they continue to violate the law, they can be fined, and or the dog will be removed from their custody.

Good Luck...I know it is difficult for you...:eek:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finding out our local laws here is painfully hard. I'll look into it and tell you guys what I find.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If you are friends with your neighbors why not talk to them first in a friendly, non-accusatory way? Perhaps take them a puppy gift basket that has a few safe, interactive toys, maybe a water bowl of some type, and a paperback book on puppy care and/or one about Labs in particular.

If they're decent people, as you believe, it's likely they're doing this out of ignorance and not cruelty. But, I would still be checking out the laws in your area and maybe calling animal control and just asking a few questions for informational purposes, if nothing else.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you are friends with your neighbors why not talk to them first in a friendly, non-accusatory way? Perhaps take them a puppy gift basket that has a few safe, interactive toys, maybe a water bowl of some type, and a paperback book on puppy care and/or one about Labs in particular.
I agree with skelaki, if you are close with your neighbors, I wouldn't call animal control right away. I like the gift basket idea. Maybe you could offer to take the dog out on a walk and spend a few minutes playing and training with the dog in front of them so that they know how to interact with him.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would talk to them first and see how they react...then I would look up the laws in your area or call and find out....and let your neighbor know that if they break the law then someone could report them

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I agree with skelaki, if you are close with your neighbors, I wouldn't call animal control right away. I like the gift basket idea. Maybe you could offer to take the dog out on a walk and spend a few minutes playing and training with the dog in front of them so that they know how to interact with him.
That's what i'd do:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just thought I would pipe up for the opposite side of the argument. If you speak with your neighbors about their neglect of this dog and they do nothing to change or improve the situation, you will in the future be in the position of having to notify Animal Control, at that point you will be the number one "suspect" for reporting them... your close relationship will be damaged. Why not contact your local humane society now and have them formally, officially informed and enlightened. Usually people who are going to properly care for an animal have enough empathy and common sense to provide water and shelter, the people that don't have the sense to do so (without being told) are not likely to change their ways on the neighbor's advice. I know you are thinking of your neighbors and yourself and the relationship you enjoy, but now think of the dog who cannot speak for himself. Please speak up for the helpless, neglected dog.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just thought I would pipe up for the opposite side of the argument. If you speak with your neighbors about their neglect of this dog and they do nothing to change or improve the situation, you will in the future be in the position of having to notify Animal Control, at that point you will be the number one "suspect" for reporting them... your close relationship will be damaged. Why not contact your local humane society now and have them formally, officially informed and enlightened. Usually people who are going to properly care for an animal have enough empathy and common sense to provide water and shelter, the people that don't have the sense to do so (without being told) are not likely to change their ways on the neighbor's advice. I know you are thinking of your neighbors and yourself and the relationship you enjoy, but now think of the dog who cannot speak for himself. Please speak up for the helpless, neglected dog.
IMO - who cares about your relationship being damaged if they continue to neglect their dog after you spoke to them about it. Maybe they don't know better right now, but after you talk to them about it there would be no excuses. If that type of treatment continued I can't imagine caring whether or not they are mad that I called AC.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would like to say that you may want to keep your relationship with your neighbors intact. It's one thing to get angry and say that you don't need a relationship with them, but quite another to actually sever the relationship IRL.

A bad neighbor relationship can make life pretty miserable.

I would give them the benefit of a doubt. Some people just have no idea how to take care of a dog. Maybe they've been raised to think that dogs belong outside because their family dog was always chained up outside...

If they aren't receptive, I would consider making an anonymous call to the SPCA and see if they could come and take a look at the conditions that the dog was living in.

Of course, you may want to do that in reverse. If you say somethinga bout the dog and THEN call the SPCA, they'll know it was you who did it.

I'm sure you're not the only neighbor who feels bad for that puppy.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
One of our neighbors had a pitty mix outside constantly, with crap all over their yard, no shelter, and we never saw a food or water bowl. I'm sorry, but I immediately called animal control. It's illegal not to provide food and shelter and to have the dog in an unsafe environment with debris every where. Not only illegal, it's stupid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts