Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am writing because my husband and I need help support and advice as to a very uncomfortable and anxiety provoking situation. We were friends with our neighbors for about a year. They live two houses down. During our friendship we brought home a beautiful german shepherd puppy. They have a dog and our puppy and their dog played together for the first year of our puppy's life. He is extremely fond of their dog. We would often walk our dogs together on our country road. A dreadful situation arose which caused my husband and I to terminate the friendship. After we parted ways we would sometimes pass each other on the road. At that time both dogs wore a radio collar. My husband and I did not have a problem with the dogs running toward each other to greet. It seemed to be ok for the first few times and went without incident nor did the encounter last long. Then one day as our dog ran to greet his dog he kicked our dog in the face to prevent him from reaching her. It was terrible. Our dog has never been aggressive to anyone or another dog. He is good in public and is well trained. But now when this man walks passed our house our dog goes crazy! We are extremely worried that all training has gone out the window where this man is concerned. Our trainer says this is going to be a tough one to overcome because he was so aggressive to our dog and physically hurt him. We have reported this man to the police at least seven times for what he did that day as well as standing in front of our house making believe he is tying his shoes etc., just so our dog will go ballistic. We are living like prisoners in our own home trying to protect our dog from any further encounters. I am not sure what else to do at this point. But I am glad that I found this group. This is such a sad situation for us but also for our dog as well as his dog.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Oh my goodness that is terrible! I really don't understand people sometimes...Not really sure what to say, I'm just really sorry that happened to you and your dog :(

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
W....T....F.....
If someone hurt my dog I would kick their ass. Not an appropriate response maybe but I know I would lose it in the heat of the moment.

Is it possible to get something like a restraining order against this neighbor? The guys sounds like he has serious mental issues....

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I dont think there is anything you can do except keep your dog away from this man. He sounds like a vile human being who would provoke your dog to bite him just as an excuse to have him put down to hurt you. Your best bet is to not give him the chance. Keep your dog leashed when going by his house and make sure she has a rock solid recall if she will be off-leash. Do what you can to train her not to be aggressive with him. When he is pretending to tie his shoe maybe try to use it as a training opportunity, to try and get her calm and treat her to lessen the bad association... look up the 'look at that' game.

Look into the restraining order idea, but mostly just be careful. God, how awful... good luck.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I agree about it being absolutely not acceptable ... putting it nicely. Be careful that this person does not put poison out in bait for your dog to find. I would also see about a restraining order if it is at all possible. Call your area prosecutors office and explain your circumstances.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Ugh, this is terrible. I agree, make sure that your dog is never left out unattended, and check your yard for any poisoned meat or whatever else. Someone who would kick a dog that they knew was absolutely no threat just because they hate the owners would probably not hesitate to poison that dog if given the chance. Can you fence your yard to block your dog's view of him? Is he actually coming into your yard? (If so, put up no trespassing signs and take photos/call the police if you see him in your yard.) If you can't fence the yard, I agree with the above suggestion to try to desensitize your dog to his presence by treating and praising him any time he can look at the neighbor quietly (although in your case, I might appreciate a growl or something to alert you that the neighbor is close to the house -- just not crazed barking).

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
A couple of things....

You said you contacted the police... But did you get a police report? Incist on one...

You also need to talk about a restraining order.... I don't have a lot of faith in paper constraints. But it does leave a paper trail and it sounds like aside from aggressive it seems your neighbor is exhibiting some stalking behavior.

As far as the dog.....
Manage him.... Make sure he has no opportunity to get to the neighbor.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I know every dog is different, but as some may know, my former (which is why she is a 'former' boss) boss's kid teased my dog one time when my back was turned (for a second while i helped a kid onto a horse at the place where i used to work) & Izze NEVER forgot it, i had to put her away when he was aroundd because she WOULD go after him & there was no telling or teaching her other wise, thats just way she was, if someone wronged her that wwas it for her, she hated them after that & nothing they could do would change her mind.

Maybe your dog isnt this way but guard, protection type breeds have a tendency to be like that, its part of what makes a good guard dog, to remember who is bad & who isnt. i also agree on never leaving her unintended & always checking the yard before she goes out there. as someone who had just left a situation like this one, i can fully understand your stress about this & no one taking you seriously. i also agree with getting a restraining order, putting no tresspassing signs on your yard & talking with the procutors office.

good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We never walk by his house ever, and we always keep our dog on a leash. We decided that the radio shock collar is not very humane. Besides, our dog learned very quickly how to respond when he had the collar on but when it was off he thought he could do what he wanted. We are considering a restraining order but I don't have real hope that he will obey it. He is crazy.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Do it anyway, and document ALL incidents, no matter how small (even if it's just him stopping and pretending to tie his shoes while your dog goes nuts). Write down dates and times. The more info you have, the better, especially if he ever escalates.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Unbelievable.
It is astonishing the lengths people will go to to be petty and childish and downright cruel.
Like everyone else has said, be sure to check your yard for meat or anything else. Who knows what he might do. Don't leave the dog unattended outside and try to avoid walking him when this freak's out there. (though, I have no doubt he would suddenly decide to walk his dog when you do. that's how people like this are, it seems.)
Is it possible to take your dog somewhere to walk him? Maybe to town or somewhere the other guy might not know?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Surveillance cameras are pretty cheap now. I would put one up with a big sign saying "You are being filmed". Too many nuts around. I hope the guy chills out. Sounds like someone who needs a life.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't tell you how all of your replies have helped us. We decided that we are going to the prosecutor and seek counsel. My husband also mentioned the possibility of our neighbor violating stalking laws. The only analogy that comes to mind is it feels like a domestic violence situation where the couple splits up and the abuser moves two doors down the road and doesn't do anything illegal but terrorizes the victim by walking passed the house once, twice, three times a day. One recent situation that occurred involved the neighbors dog. Big beautiful standard poodle who when invited will run all over the place. He took the dog off the porch without the owner knowing about it and allowed the dog to run all over the place. The dog could have been hit by a car. The dog almost ran me over as I was stepping out to drink my coffee on my front porch. I actually thought it was a bear. When i changed my blouse (I spilled hot coffee all over myself) and took a closer look at whatever it was that ran passed me I peaked around my car and I see this guy walking way down the road with his dog, off the leash, and the neighbors dog just running everywhere. He pretended that he didn't know the other dog was following him. In the meantime, the owner of the dog is calling for her dog and her little girl is crying because she thinks her dog has run away. It appears that now he is using other peoples dogs to harass us while he keeps his dog on a leash until he passes our house. Then he releases his dog. This is just one of the many situations that have gone on. We are taking your advice very seriously and we are grateful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention that we filed a police report over this latest harassment and we go to court in October.

·
Registered
257 Posts
He is "baiting" you and your dog. You need to use extreme caution around him with your dog. By "baiting" your dog, he is trying to get the dog to bite him or his dog, resulting in a law suit. I would follow all of the other suggestions that other posters have given, but just be very careful that your dog NEVER has the opportunity to get close to him. I'd even be wary of a fence and gate in the front yard. Obviously this man has a couple of screws loose.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
As far as I know, you can go across the street from your house (with permission of the property owner) and use your cell phone to make movies of your house and anyone that walks by. You can store and crop these movies for evidence, while keeping the full movies, just in case... And, you can ask your attorney about presenting the evidence. As suggested earlier, you can also install surveillance cameras on your own property for roughly the same purpose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
While protecting your dog and yourselves, you may also wish to pay attention to this person's treatment of his own dog. A good defense often is dependent on a good offense. His demeanor probably includes abuse and neglect toward his own dog...how could it not? Cruelty is a mental desease, and it will not stop at your house.

That being said, it is probably better if you find a local advocate, such as the poodles owner or other neighbor, and do not "stalk" in return. Be careful around nut cases...animal cruelty is often only the beginning, and justice often comes only after heartbreak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree. My husband and I would never put our dog further at risk by returning this man (and his wifes) behavior. I have never seen him be neglectful or abusive toward the dog but I can't say for sure. The poodles owner has this beautiful animal but doesn't want to take the time to walk her dog and she seems to be gullible to boot. Even though she was in the middle of the road screaming for her dog, and I mean screaming.......He has asked her to be a witness and she had agreed. She told us this herself...(she came over to our house to talk about the situation). I tried to be kind but I asked her what exactly was she going to testify to? That she didn't know where her dog was? That she was screaming for her dog in the middle of the road? That she thought her dog had gotten hit by a car? That her little girl was crying because she thought her canine companion was dead? I explained to her that the court case has nothing to do with her and that she can go if she wants but that this guy is just using her and her dog to further harass us. I don't have much faith in the Chief of Police prosecuting this successfully which is why the suggestions I have received my husband and I are taking to hear. Tomorrow I am going to make an appointment with the District Attorney. Tonight I am going to prepare. I refuse to be a victim. In the meantime we are going to keep our dog as safe as humanly possible. We are good responsible animal owners and we absolutely love our dog.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I wish you the most sincere luck with this situation. I don't have any other advice than to echo what others have said. Be careful, and consider video surveillance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts