Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello there.. My name is Zab and I have a 2 year old mutt.. He is such a good boy! Loves to play with other dogs and likes to meet new people..

I am very active with him, we go hiking twice per week, to the dog park on a daily basis.. but i have a big problem and I need help..

He doesnt like unneutered dogs.. I take him to an OFF LEASH dog park on a daily basis, he has lots of friends and loves to play.. The off leash park does not allow unneutered or un-registered dogs!... sadly some humans cant read and still take their unfix dogs..
This is where my problem starts..

My mutt goes after them with the full intention to hurt them :( ...I refuse to stop taking him to the park (he needs to play or he wont let me sleep) So I bought a shock collar and everytime we go he wears it.. It's not literally shock, more of a cell phone vibration.. I can read his body very well so before he attacks I am able to snap him out of his "attack mode" by using the collar.. I am trying to find out how I can stop him from going after a dog without the collar? Please help me!!

Thank you for your time and sorry about my essay! lol

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
It's not uncommon for neutered dogs to be aggressive towards intact dogs. However, if your dog attacks other dogs that is YOUR issue. I would not take an aggressive dog to an off-leash dog park. I also wouldn't pair a shock collar with the presence of dogs who already trigger aggression.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
The collar, as you've explained it, will likely do more harm than good. It's meant to condition the dog for known behaviors, not to prevent unwanted behaviors. I would either find a trainer who can more appropriately help you with this issue, or find other activities for your dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi.. So far the collar is working.. I am not hurting my dog because like I said, its more of a vibration on his neck.. I have a remote control so when a dog with a pair comes near, I start playing with him to get his attention.. The collar is used when the unneutered dog is literally next to him.. My dog's chest goes up, ears up and that is his "attack mode" as I call it.. So when i see his chest go up I use the collar to snap him out of it.... I dont use the collar during an attack because I dont let it get to that point!

Like is said before I know he is not aggressive.. and I am dealing with something that is a natural instinct (as I've been told by vets)

Thank you for reading

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
As I alluded to before, you're not using the collar as it is intended to be used. Your dog may be sweet today, you may get the reaction you want today, but if you continue to use the collar in this manner, the dog may decide to react before he shows any familiar behavior, tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
IMO you should not be bringing this dog to the park. simple. he is iffy with other dogs. find some friends with dogs, or a meet up group for him to play with. Both of my dogs still have testicules. both get bullied by un neutered males. I ask those owners to leave the park. Neither of my dogs have issues with intact or non intact dogs. once in a blue moon my oldest will try to hump another intact male. and you know what i do? I leave the park. I left the park a few days ago with only being there for 15mins due to my oldest wanting to hump a lab. I could tell by his body language BEFORE the dog even entered the park that he would try it. So I left before the dog even got inside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Like my post says... The dog park where I go, does not allowed unneutered dogs.. There is a HUGE sign there.. Maybe in Ontario its ok.. But where I live (Los Angeles CA) is not.. I've seen people get $350.00 tickets for having unneutered dogs there.. I've followed the rules and I feel like my dog is paying for somebody else's mistake.. now he is the bad guy.. and at some extend he might be, and I am aware of it.. This is why I signed up for this (seems like some people do know about animals)

I am not asking for opinions of where I should and shouldnt take him... My post is about HOW TO GET HIM TO STOP WITHOUT THE SHOCK COLLAR?

I hope somebody out there can give me a relevant answer! =)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I know its not fair, but you cant stop people from bringing their intact dogs, the only thing you can do is change your own behaviors.

Prevention is the best fix.

AKA don't put your dog in a situation where he will fail. If this means not going to the park then so be it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I know its not fair, but you cant stop people from bringing their intact dogs, the only thing you can do is change your own behaviors.

Prevention is the best fix.

AKA don't put your dog in a situation where he will fail. If this means not going to the park then so be it.
That is true.. unless I get animal services on speed dial! haha I just want my mutt to be able to control himself with out the collar.. AND I remark AGAIN.. the shock collar IS HELPING.. he doesnt go after them because I prevent him from doing so.. So nobody gets hurt! we just walk away from the dog and find other friends to play with.. He is a very good dog (and maybe I say it because I am his mommy) but I am trying.. I wont let any dog get hurt with or without balls, with stupid owner or with a smart one!

I am just trying to correct my mutt the best way I can. THANKS KODI!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
That is true.. unless I get animal services on speed dial! haha I just want my mutt to be able to control himself with out the collar.. AND I remark AGAIN.. the shock collar IS HELPING.. he doesnt go after them because I prevent him from doing so.. So nobody gets hurt! we just walk away from the dog and find other friends to play with.. He is a very good dog (and maybe I say it because I am his mommy) but I am trying.. I wont let any dog get hurt with or without balls, with stupid owner or with a smart one!

I am just trying to correct my mutt the best way I can. THANKS KODI!
I think what you might be missing is that if he learns to associate unneutered dogs with pain, his behavior may be far less reliable in the longrun - and far, far harder to call him off from. That's without touching on misdirected aggression and so forth. I'm glad you're trying and that it seems to be working for now, but I'm begging: stop being defensive about your method and apparent results and listen, if not to us, to a good behaviorist or trainer. You're missing some of the steps in the psychology of the training you're doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think what you might be missing is that if he learns to associate unneutered dogs with pain, his behavior may be far less reliable in the longrun - and far, far harder to call him off from. That's without touching on misdirected aggression and so forth. I'm glad you're trying and that it seems to be working for now, but I'm begging: stop being defensive about your method and apparent results and listen, if not to us, to a good behaviorist or trainer. You're missing some of the steps in the psychology of the training you're doing.

cPTjack.. I'd love to have my mutt play with unneutered dogs! (he plays with puppies)... and you said it yourself.. "If he learns" Thats exactly what my post is about.. my questions is how?!
I know I am doing something wrong and I am truely trying to correct him.. I am not being defensive at all.. but I feel like most of the previous answers are irrelevant to my post.. (Dont take your dog to the park!!)? how is that going to solve my problem? we encounter unneutered dogs everywhere!
It is something we cant change.. So I want him to learn how to deal with them and be ok with them..

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
cPTjack.. I'd love to have my mutt play with unneutered dogs! (he plays with puppies)... and you said it yourself.. "If he learns" Thats exactly what my post is about.. my questions is how?!
I know I am doing something wrong and I am truely trying to correct him.. I am not being defensive at all.. but I feel like most of the previous answers are irrelevant to my post.. (Dont take your dog to the park!!)? how is that going to solve my problem? we encounter unneutered dogs everywhere!
It is something we cant change.. So I want him to learn how to deal with them and be ok with them..
I got ya - I think. You want to know how to actually make it better, rather than telling you to keep him out of the park and talking about the collar?

All right. But you do need to keep him out of the park (or police him more heavily, in a hands on way, and limit the times you are at the park. If you see an intact dog come in, go out) for a while, and the collar needs to go. If you're not willing or able to get to a trainer for some one-on-one advice (I realize that can be expensive, but 1 hour of talking for about 70.00 will take you a long way), then my advice is this.

Desensitize him - slowly. More to the point, flip what you're doing on its head. You want him to be HAPPY to see an unneutered dog coming.

Figure out at what point he starts to get aggressive or respond negatively. Then stop short of it. If he doesn't have a 'look' command, you need to teach him one, before you do this. Point the dog out to him. Then ctuff his face with the highest value treat you can before he reacts to the other dog in a negative way. Every time there's an unneutered dog around, but *before* he starts to react, have him 'look' and treat. This is tricky and complicated and needs to be accomplished with him on a leash, and the intact dog also on a leash.

It also takes time and patience.

Generally, were I you, I'd look up some information on training dog reactive dogs -or dog selective ones, since that's more appropriate. If you can't find/use a trainer.

But seriously, the collar and willynilly dog park trips need to go - every time he manages to get into it with an unneutered dog or gets zapped he's reenforcing the negative association and behaviour you don't want. Just like you don't let a puppy wander around while you're housebreaking, because you don't want them developing bad habits, you don't want him getting the opportunity to get in trouble, here. You also don't want him getting hurt.

And even with all of that, it may not work. A good, solid, 100% recall will help with management, too - so you can call him away before there's a fight that could get him or another dog hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got ya - I think. You want to know how to actually make it better, rather than telling you to keep him out of the park and talking about the collar?

All right. But you do need to keep him out of the park (or police him more heavily, in a hands on way, and limit the times you are at the park. If you see an intact dog come in, go out) for a while, and the collar needs to go. If you're not willing or able to get to a trainer for some one-on-one advice (I realize that can be expensive, but 1 hour of talking for about 70.00 will take you a long way), then my advice is this.

Desensitize him - slowly. More to the point, flip what you're doing on its head. You want him to be HAPPY to see an unneutered dog coming.

Figure out at what point he starts to get aggressive or respond negatively. Then stop short of it. If he doesn't have a 'look' command, you need to teach him one, before you do this. Point the dog out to him. Then ctuff his face with the highest value treat you can before he reacts to the other dog in a negative way. Every time there's an unneutered dog around, but *before* he starts to react, have him 'look' and treat. This is tricky and complicated and needs to be accomplished with him on a leash, and the intact dog also on a leash.

It also takes time and patience.

Generally, were I you, I'd look up some information on training dog reactive dogs -or dog selective ones, since that's more appropriate. If you can't find/use a trainer.

But seriously, the collar and willynilly dog park trips need to go - every time he manages to get into it with an unneutered dog or gets zapped he's reenforcing the negative association and behaviour you don't want. Just like you don't let a puppy wander around while you're housebreaking, because you don't want them developing bad habits, you don't want him getting the opportunity to get in trouble, here. You also don't want him getting hurt.

And even with all of that, it may not work. A good, solid, 100% recall will help with management, too - so you can call him away before there's a fight that could get him or another dog hurt.

You're right I do get tense when a dog comes near him so I'm sure my mutt can sense that... and I agree with you. I've been relaying on the collar and it has become a negative thing for him, but yet a good thing for me because I don't anything else to correct him.

I am going to try what you told me and I hope it works.. Training is an option but I've been told by dog trainers his actions are normal? Then again I've only talk to trainers who are against not fixing a dog! So in his eyes I am right n the other owners are wrong
But I see what you're saying.
Thank you so much for your time!

·
Registered
291 Posts
You need to desensitize your dog so that he does not react around whole males. Read up on this trainer and her methods :-

Leslie McDevitt's LOOK AT THAT! Game

1 - 16 of 16 Posts