Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has always been a cat person, but ever since I got Rosie, she fell in love and has now converted. She now wants a dog.

I never thought i'd post one of these threads, but if I keep looking at petfinder, Rosie will end up with a sibling, and thats the last thing I need to do right now..haha

So, what breed would be good for my mom?

She is looking for a medium dog. She wants a dog that is fairly easy to train (don't we all), good with cats and good with her future doggie playmate, Rosie. She plans to take the dog to work with her, so she would like a dog that is not as much of a barker and a little more low key. My mom also plans to walk the dog and play with the dog a lot. My parents have a big back yard, so the dog will get plenty of exercise, but she is not looking for a super energetic/athletic dog because my mom is a little older and i don't think she could handle a super energetic dog.

any suggestions?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, we have two collies (just got our second one yesterday--fell in love on Petfinder :p) and they are a great breed! However, some of them grow to be quite large, and they can be barkers sometimes. They usually quiet down if we say 'quiet' (for Savannah) or 'no barking' (for Meg), though.

I can't speak 100% for our newest collie, since we just brought her home yesterday, but our other one is very intelligent, LOVES to learn new tricks, and as a puppy, she was pretty much completely potty trained in two days. Savannah, our new collie, seems similar.

Collies are usually good with kitties and other dogs--at least ours are! Our old collie, Meg, was so excited when we got Savannah--it's only been one day and they love each other already! We also have two cats. Meg and Savannah are both very tolerant of the kitties (Not sure I can say the same about the kitties though. LOL!), and one of the cats has actually become good friends with Meg. They touch noses, rub up against each other, and play together in the backyard.

We have a big yard too. Meg is usually content with just some romping around in the yard, but we also take her on walks sometimes. She's not very energetic, overall. In fact, both of our collies seem like couch-potatoes! *nudges the sleeping collies*

Anyway, good luck to your mom! We were cat people too, at first. I hope she finds herself the perfect breed!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Just because you can't look on petfinder, doesn't mean she can't right? :)

If she's not good with computers, you can have her over for a visit and set her up on petfinder. Or you could take a trip with her to the shelter.

I think an English Springer Spaniel fits into her guidelines pretty well. They might be hard to find in rescue though. But if she wants an adult dog rather than a puppy, there are sure to be breeders with adult dogs that are looking for homes.

edit: look at this guy! http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=11983260

·
Registered
172 Posts
check out rescues in your area. they have all types, even if they specialize in one breed.

when i got bismarck, i asked them if he was cat friendly. they didn't know, but said they'd "test him out".
later that night the girl replied to me that he was indeed cat friendly.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
"If you go to a shelter see if you are able to bring the cats with you. This way you will see first hand how everyone is going to get along." Lola's Dad

Yikes! I don't know very many cats would be okay with a) a car ride, or b) being in a shelter environment. Even if you are just visiting a rescuer's home, experimenting with your mom's cats may lead to behavioral issues, which may crop up anyway with the stress of a new critter joining the household. Then there's the health risk...

I agree with the other posters who suggested going to the pound and checking in with local rescues. I wouldn't focus so much on breed as I would finding a mature dog who fits the criteria, regardless of lineage. I'm thinking that if you find a sibling for your dog along the way that will work, and you can take on another dog, go for it.

·
Banned
749 Posts
If the cats do not meet the dog how will you know if they will get along?. Some shelters actually test a dog to see if the dog will get along with cats but they do not know how the specific cats will get along with the dog that the OP's mother has. Some shelters have a room thats empty for one on one time with the prospective family.

I have a cat that I have had since 1993. The first time he met a dog was when I moved from CA back to NJ when he was 7 years old. I was staying at my fathers for a while until I found my own place a few months later. His cat did not get along with my cat so we made sure they were kept seperate.

Mugsy gets along with Lola just fine. Lola will even give Mugsy a tongue bath. When Mugsy passes away I will get another cat so Lola will have a playmate for when I am not home. I will take Lola to the shelter and see how the cats are with her before the adoption takes place. I do not want to find out after the adoption the cat does not get along with the dog.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
"If the cats do not meet the dog how will you know if they will get along? ... I will take Lola to the shelter and see how the cats are with her before the adoption takes place. I do not want to find out after the adoption the cat does not get along with the dog." Lola's Dad

Trial periods. Bring the new animal home and keep it separated from the other animal(s) in the household until things have a chance to calm down, then gradually begin brief, supervised introductions and work up to the animals spending more time together. Before making a commitment, ask for a cat or dog who was said to have been okay with dogs or cats in it's previous home, but even that may not be a good indicator as every pairing will be different. A cat "getting along with" a dog in a stressful shelter environment in front of people is really no indication of how the animals may do at home, or alone together. Bringing your dog to the shelter to show to all the kitties just to see their reaction may sound like a great idea, but consider how stressful it will be to the cats there who absolutely do NOT like dogs. Also consider that many cats who may otherwise be okay with your dog at home with time to adjust are going to be likely to react in a stressful setting. Some cats who may not like your dog at home may be too stressed out to react as they would outside of a shelter environment. I would also consider the health risk of bringing your dog to the shelter, being that kennel cough is highly contagious, even if your dog is vaccinated against it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
My advice in your mom's situation I'm sure she'd like a low-active medium size dog especially with personality is mellow & laid back?

I'd maybe do a research on breeds or/and look into shelters. I personally think a Aussie or Aussie X would not be a good candidate dog for your mom which they're highly active dogs that are VERY intelligence breeds is your mom up to daily training?

Does your mom not care if weather the dog will need grooming update to trimming? I've few listed of breeds or/and search for that has mix in certain breeds that are low-active dogs.

I like the Miniature Schnauzers & the King Charles, Whippets. Maybe a middle age lab x (medium) dogs usually are awesome dogs!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts