Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mom adopted a kitten from a friend yesterday and I don't know how to go about introducing Bailey (70lb Chow/Sib. Husky mix) to it.
I warned her that there is a strong chance that he may kill it (he killed my friends cockateil, but she left it out of it's cage on the floor, so it was her fault).

Any advice? I have introduced cats in the past but never dogs and cats.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well first off I would just slowly show him the kitten...don't let him sniff it right away...then gradually wean into lettiing him sniff it and so on...you be able to tell how things will be.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think these breeds of dogs have a very high prey drive. Your Mom may be setting this little kittie up for a gruesome demise! Not a pretty way to go. You will have to be very diligent if you want this to work. If your dog killed a cockateil, he will definitely kill this kitten given the opportunity. Good luck kitty!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have done this a LOT. It requires effort. A lot of effort unless your dog is already well trained on things like LEAVE IT and will come off ANYTHING you ask him to. Fact is, IMO all dogs shoud call off of anything and should "leave it" when asked. Period.

1.) Do not EVER EVER let the dog and kitten be alone together. EVER.

2.) If you cannot supervise, CRATE THE DOG.

3.) Keep the dog on a leash, let the kitten do ALL the approaching. If the dog gets excited, SEPARATE them (take dog away and isolate).

4.) Make sure there is a place the kitten can go that the dog cannot go or get into.

You HAVE to control the dog. There is NO other way. It is YOUR responsibility to keep the kitten safe and to train the dog that the kitten is not a toy and not a thing to be chased or hurt.

If you are not up to this task, find the kitten another home or find the dog another home.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.
I figured it would take a lot of time and patience and told this to my mom.
I have the time and patience to introduce them properly, and to train Bailey.

My only issue is I think my mom will try and press the issue when I am not home no matter what I have told her so far.

I guess there isn't much I can do about that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts