Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if anyone has heard of rojosminiatureschnauzers? They are a breeder in Oklahoma. I have gotten both my girls from them with only one health issue which was Daisie had bladder stones which happens in the breed. I was told by someone on another forum that they were a puppy mill. If anyone has any information on that I would really like to know. I would be heartbroken to find out that it's true. Thanks for taking time to read my post.
Dawn

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I had a look at their website and I don't know about a mill - depends on how they keep the dogs - but I sure wouldn't patronize them unless they're a lot less shady than their site makes them look. They're churning puppies out and selling them to anyone who has the money. They also talk up schnauzers in gushing terms without addressing any of the common health or behavior issues of the breed, which is a sign they're putting sales above placing the pups in well-prepared forever homes. There's no mention of them doing anything with the parents (like obedience, sports, conformation, even basic temperament testing or, like...going for walks) and they don't mention health testing the parents, either. (They do have that AKC HEART logo on there, but it expired two years ago, and a .gif doesn't doesn't mean much unless it's confirmed.) The sires and dams are not listed in the OFA database.

There are also what look to be questionable ear crops on several of the sires and dams, which can be a warning sign. I don't like ear cropping in general, but if it's done it should be done by a skilled vet and then given correct aftercare. Several of those cropped ears look really off-standard to me.

How can they possibly give adequate pet attention to 14 dams, even besides puppies and whatever sires they have on site?

They might be better than the light their own site paints them in, but for me the bottom line would be that mini schnauzers are a super common and popular breed in the US so it'd be really easy to find countless better breeders or to get a dog from rescue.

None of that should prevent you from enjoying your girls that you have. I just would not buy from them in the future or recommend them to others.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I agree with parus. Maybe not a puppy mill, but probably a large scale backyard breeder. Not someone I'd buy from or recommend. They have a lot of dogs (fourteen bitches and eight males), but don't seem to do anything with them but breed them. They don't have any titles or health testing mentioned. A lot of the dogs look to have really soft, incorrect coats (could just be from being clipped instead of stripped). They produce non-standard colors, like brown and parti-colored. And the NuVet supplement is a pyramid scheme, and something I've never seen on a really good breeder's website.

Reactions: parus

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Yeah, I don't mind a non-standard color/pattern, but the fact that the site calls the coats "rare" (as opposed to the reality, which is probably that someone's poodle stud jumped a fence a few generations back...and even if it's just a quirk of genetics, it's off the breed standard, which they claim to be breeding to in their intro, so way to contradict yourselves, I guess?) is a sketchy marketing technique. They also mention "toy" schnauzers, which is some garbage, too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Enjoy your dogs , love them and cherish them but learn from this.
To me the home page of their site was a huge red flag.. It looks like a pic and mix supermarket. They also promote their soap and candles and quote the bible.. As if that has anything to do with dogs.
The same couple were selling Maltese dogs in 2012.

They are hard to locate too, no address on their website no listing in their home town etc..

They would fail my basic checks .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts