Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sassy is my 4 year old female, mini yorkie. (I also have a 5 year old pit bull and a 1 year old chorkie). My room mates moved in with their two dogs, also a 5 year old pit bull Lady and a 2 year old mix.

All the dogs are very well behaved until they get playful and that's when we start having problems. Sassy gets aggressive when all the dogs start playing together and the only dog that doesn't stand down from her and will bite back is Lady. We have had problems with them in the past but Lady would just pin Sassy down until Sassy squirms out of the hold and continues to attack Lady.

One of us has been around to stop and grab Sassy who will continue to growl and want to get at Lady but tonight Lady nipped at Sassy before and got her pretty bad. The problem is that Sassy is only 7 pounds and Lady is 50 pounds and I don't know what to do to stop this because Sassy is the instigator but Lady is the one capable of the damage and I am afraid that this is going to end badly.

Can you help me train Sassy to stop being so aggressive with Lady and help me get Lady to not bite back?

scared for my baby,
Lindsey

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have a 65 pound dog Abbylynn ,20 pound dog Blu Boy, and a 12 pound dog Eddee. They all play together. The 12 pound dog Eddee is a new rescue of mine.

Eddee grabs Abbylynns face and pulls the skin out and bites her ears. He made her yelp! That was that! No more playing until he learns not to do this. That is a recipe for disaster.

I immediately remove him while they are playing as soon as I see the play even begin to escalate and put him in time out for about 30 seconds. Time out consists of my bathroom with the door shut. Once he settles ... if he settles ... I allow him out and I reward him verbally and with a treat. If he does not settle he does not get to play. I do not want a dead dog. :(

It is a slow process at my house. But it is improving. Maybe someone else has a better way? ....

As for Lady biting back ... she probably will as long as she is being bitten ... that is only natural to defend themselves. I would think that once Sassy stops ... so will Lady. :) Whatever you do ... do not allow them alone and unsupervised.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
You have to sort Sassy out one way or another, most dogs will try and defend themselves, so Lady has every right to do so, i would not leave them alone in the same room to start with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Our house is relatively small, consisting of one large living room and the kitchen sits off in the back so not leavin them alone is easy it's just keeping all 5 dogs from playing gets difficult. You've got a point to time out when they start playing hard.. For now they are both on punishment where they cannot be in the same room but that is just a temp fix for the time being. Thanks for your help guys ! I'll keep you updated =]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts