Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little pup is approx 2 yrs old, about 9lbs and all of a sudden has stopped eating.

I have two pups, the other been a Chihuahua/Italian Grehound mix (peaches). I've fed them both the small breed wellness food from the start a yr ago. Peaches just chows thru everything...I've got no issues with her.

Little Maxy (min pin/chihuahua) just suddenly stopped eating his food about a month ago. eating a few bites then nothing, or indeed just plain ignoring his food. I've swtiched to another brand and nothing. I then bought some wet food and he inhaled the first three bowls i put down for him. Then he stopped again.

I can't leave it there for him all day otherwise Peaches will eat it all!

I've tried about 6 different foods at this time which is proving to be exp, plus I know its not good to keep changing the smaller dogs food.

He struggles with bigger foods so I can only get him the small breed foods.

I don't feed him a lot in the first place...maybe 1/4 cup * 2. He's always been a lethargic dog who doesn't like to do a lot of activity (unlike Peaches) so his energy levels aren't much different.

I'm beginning to get concerned/frustrated, does anyone have any ideas!!!

PS...I've cut out all treats for him. He is still eating those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You say he hasn't been eating for about a month...is he losing weight? Are their any other sympoms such as diarrhea or vomiting? Is he still drinking plenty of water? Is he urinating and defacating as usual?

These are the same questions your vet would be asking, but if any of these other symptoms are present then you should take him to the vet immediately. It would be a strong indicator that something else is going on.

If he is not losing weight, then maybe he's eating while you are away? I have a ten year old collie that refuses to eat just about anything while she has an audience. She's always been like that.

Your concern that Peaches will eat everything is a valid one. You may have to seperate them, so that Little Maxy can get his share.

If he is losing weight, then you should definitely make that trip to the vet's office.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great questions. Thanks for the reply.

He's not losing any weight! I've been very conscious of this and have weighed him on multiple times....still 9lbs!
He doesn't have any vomiting and his poops are the same as always. Although obviously a lot less reg due to less food intake. He's drinking plenty of water and is urinating as per usual...on everything! Outside of the house, not inside!

I can't see him eating anything while I'm not there....they stay in my living room and there is nothing there to eat.

Its impossible to separate these two during the day while i'm at work. they would cry constantly! If I'm in the house Peaches won't even think about going for his food (i'm the alpha male)

I have increased their obedience training over the last few months, mostly because Peaches was a crazy wild dog with no training whatsoever prior to me getting them. It was treat laden, and I have read that dogs will often starve themselves because they are getting the treats and would prefer to eat those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, I would think that it's safe to assume that if he hasn't lost any weight and he's not showing any other symptoms, then he must be getting enough food for his needs. Weight would be the indicative sign. And considering he is still eliminating, even though it's smaller, means that he is definitely eating something.

Another idea would be to try an all natural, balanced treat such as Wellness Wellbites.

You can find these at The All Natural Pet Store.

This is a great store for all natural dog products.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Which brands of food have you tried? I have a Papillon and she's the pickiest eater ever. I tried Innova, Wellness, Solid Gold, Canidae and Chicken Soup but she hated the taste of all of them. I just ignored her and she will eat a meal when she's very hungry.

However, I found Orijen recently and she ADORES the taste! She can't get enough of the stuff, so if you haven't tried it, maybe you could? Although it's very pricey..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. I finally took the poor guy to the vet who told me he had a belly infection. He's back to eating and is pretty much back to 100%.

I'm currently feeding both my dogs the Lotus baked foods. They seem to like it and since its pretty big they have to slow down a touch aswell to crunch it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts