Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She thinks she's a "dog whisperer".

I have a 9 week old Lab/Aussie mix. I have two MILs. ONe is my husband's mother and the other is stepmother. They are friends with each other. FIL is on good terms with ex-wife. Anyways, we took our puppy, Elvis to meet StepMIL's dog last night. They had invited MIL, but told her to eave her dog at home because it would be too much. MIL's dog was rescued from an abusive situation and doesn't know how to interact with other dogs. That's what I've been told. He also doesn't know how to play with toys.

Anyways, MIL shows up with her dog, Jack. That's the first thing she did that annoyed me last evening. Jack was fine though. He hasn't always been in the past. But he just ignored the other dogs. He can be aggressive though, and I didn't appreciate that she brought him uninvited to meet my puppy.

Well, my MIL considers herself an expert concerning dogs. She always talks about the Ceasar Milan and seems to get her ideas form the Dog Whisperer. Anyways, she retired from working with domestic violence victims. She is now does trainings concerning domestic abuse and pets.So she has set herself up as an expert, but I don't think she really is an expert. She is constantly criticizing StepMIL about her dog because she's not the pack leader yada yada yada.

Well, she took my puppy and was holding him up near her face trying to force him to make eye contact with her. Elvis is pretty submissive. He's young and shows his tummy to almost anyone including new dogs. He went to puppy class last week and the trainer commented that he's really good at self-handicapping. So MIL is holding him up upder his armpits and trying to make direct eye contact with him and he kept turning his head away. Then, I guess he nipped her hand (I don't blame him). She said "If you bite me, I'll bite you." AND THEN SHE BIT HIM! He gave a little yelp, too. She didn't pinch him like Ceasar, either. She actually bit him with her teeth.

I'm really ticked off. I complained to my DH and he didn't see it from the same view I did. He didn't hear the yelp either. He though she was playing with him. Regardless of what you think of the Dog Whisperer, I don't think one has any right to enploy his techniques without permission.

Like I said before, people pay her to talk about dogs. She dated some vet, too. So she believes she knows everything about dogs.

We had a conversation later. SHe asked what vet we go to. The Vet Clinic with Dr. Kellog. She doesn't comment because that's her vet too. Then she asks me what I'm feeding Elvis. She doesn't ask it like she
s just curious. She says "What are you feeding him, Puppy Chow?"
I answer "Yes, dry dog kibble. Wellness." So that is a premium brand, so she doesn't say much but suggests cooking hamburger and rice and then freezing it. I know she was hoping to be able to educate me about my choice in puppy food. Jack isn't that fat, but her last dog was enormous. She regualrly fed him Graeter's ice cream. It's a local ice cream that boasts super high butter fat content.

Then she tells me start watching the Dog Whisperer to learn about dogs. Well, we do watch that show. My daughter loves all dog shows. I tell her we watch the Dog Whisperer, DogTown, It's me or the Dog, and Dancing with Dogs. But they are for entertainment.

She wants to go back to talking about Ceasar. Everything he says is right. I answer that I prefer Ian Dunbar, that Ceasar does have a natural talent with dogs, but that some of techniques are supspect. She blankly looks at me, I don't think she knew who Dunbar was. She then starts talking about being an alpha of the dog pack and that most dog problems are caused by people. I believe that most dog problems are caused by people and told her so. By the way, her older son, my DH's half brother, was a mess...on drugs etc. She totally blames genetics (his bio father was on drugs too) even though as a teen mom she gave him to her parents then took him back and so on. I believe that most people problems are caused by environment, too (well, a little of both). She believes people's problems are genetic, but dog problems are environmental.

This was mostly a vent. I don't want her messing with my dog anymore.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
If someone bit my dog, they'd never get near my dog again. There would be no more communication about dogs until there was an apology and acknolowdgement that it's my dog and I can raise it how I want. Even if it was my mother. If it was a very young child I might forgive it since my brother bit me when he was a baby but I wouldn't let a young child in that position to being with.

If my mother in law tried to tell me how to raise my child and was too pushy about it, I'd make a point to let her know she had her time with my husband and this one is mine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I know Ceasar doesn't actually bite dogs, but that is where she's getting her ideas from. I don't agree with everything Ceasar says, but I would trust him with my dog more than MIL. She had both hands holding my puppy under her arm pits already, so maybe she bit because she couldn't pinch. I think she was trying to solicit a bite just so she could teach him not to bite. There was no reason to hold him like that and try to get him to make eye contact. She so wants to be seen as the dog expert that it was on my nerves. When we mentioned that were thinking of getting a puppy a few months ago, she said well let me know when you are ready and I'll find the right dog for you. I didn't let her pick out our dog though. She assumed that she is so much more informed about dog issues that she should pick out our new dog.

Jesirose, I don't think an apology will ever be forthcoming. I am sure she thinks she was helping us by biting our dog.

·
Registered
165 Posts
O.O I've never heard of someone who would actually bite a dog... Poor thing must be scared of her now! If someone ever bit my dog, they'd never see him again... She doesn't sound like a person you can reason with, good luck with her. Hopefully nothing like this happens in the future.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Jesirose, I don't think an apology will ever be forthcoming. I am sure she thinks she was helping us by biting our dog.
We don't get to pick our family, but we do get to pick how we interact with them. Maybe I'm just stubborn but I have an uncle I no longer talk to because of how cruel he is to his cat, and how callous he talks about my dog. If he never apologizes, it won't be the end of the world. Sadly his cat is suffering but at least I am not, and there is little I can do to help the cat anymore.

Don't let your MIL near the dog, don't talk about dogs, if she brings it up change the subject, if she asks why just say you disagree and value your relationship too much to start an argument. If she won't let it go after that, walk away. You do what's best for your dog and when she sees how great your dog is, she may reconsider. If not, oh well. Her loss.

·
Registered
714 Posts
We don't get to pick our family, but we do get to pick how we interact with them. Maybe I'm just stubborn but I have an uncle I no longer talk to because of how cruel he is to his cat, and how callous he talks about my dog. If he never apologizes, it won't be the end of the world. Sadly his cat is suffering but at least I am not, and there is little I can do to help the cat anymore.

Don't let your MIL near the dog, don't talk about dogs, if she brings it up change the subject, if she asks why just say you disagree and value your relationship too much to start an argument. If she won't let it go after that, walk away. You do what's best for your dog and when she sees how great your dog is, she may reconsider. If not, oh well. Her loss.

Well, I was going to say the next time MIL doesn't look you in the eye, slap her upside the head (sorry, just kidding), but I agree with jessi. :)

By the way,,have you posted any pics of your pup?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I was going to say the next time MIL doesn't look you in the eye, slap her upside the head (sorry, just kidding), but I agree with jessi. :)

By the way,,have you posted any pics of your pup?
DH didn't actually see the bite. I was standing behind her and saw her actually bite him. Dh thought she was playing with him. He didn't hear the yelp either. My 9 year old daughter heard it though and kept asking why Nana bit the puppy.

Here's a link to the photo of Elvis. http://www.dogforums.com/8-dog-pictures-forum/47429-our-new-puppy-elvis.html

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
He's a cutie!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Patty
Let's just look at it positively, I will hazard a guess that your pup will not have any long term damage. The MIL actually might have done you a favor, because in that one short incident biting your pup she let the cat out of the bag about her lack of dog knowledge. Forewarned is Forearmed and if possible she will never have to see your pup again. That's a big chunk of good news. The possible bad news is DH reaction to your decision on how or where pup should go in future.
Years ago a popular way to antagonize a dog to bite(possible guard dogs etc)was to grab/pinch their flanks. With some dogs this indeed did fire them up, there are better more humane ways other than pinching to build a biting dog. Pinching or biting a dog is an idiotic way to do things. Good luck with future family outings.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oye..!

Dog bites MIL. MIL bites dog. DIL (you) bites MIL. FIL bites DIL. Dog bites FIL. MIL bites DH....

Could you imagine?!

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I'm sorry, but your MIL is sick. IMO. I work with abused women and children who are victims of domestic violence, and let me tell you, those victims also include pets, be they dogs, cats, birds, gerbils, etc. Do NOT allow her to have any contact with your puppy. She doesn't get it, and she's abusive.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I know she was hoping to be able to educate me about my choice in puppy food. Jack isn't that fat, but her last dog was enormous. She regualrly fed him Graeter's ice cream. It's a local ice cream that boasts super high butter fat content.
Wait...are you saying this is bad?

Just made me laugh since you specifically mentioned Graeter's, lol

Sorry about the whole situation though...sounds like you just can't win with that one...

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
That's insane...I thought maybe you got your thread title mixed up...I would def limit her contact with your puppy. If you can't avoid her all together, which I understand, maybe tether your pup to you when she's around.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wait...are you saying this is bad?

Just made me laugh since you specifically mentioned Graeter's, lol

Sorry about the whole situation though...sounds like you just can't win with that one...
LOL Seriously. I was laughing out loud when I saw your pic. Looks yummy. What flavor?

I think an occasional ice cream treat is okay (even Graeter's), but I found it annoying the way she was making sure I was feeding my puppy the proper food when she let her dog get fat on frequent trips to Graeters. .

Your dog doesn't look fat like my MIL's former dog. He's handsome. Or is it a she?

That's insane...I thought maybe you got your thread title mixed up...I would def limit her contact with your puppy. If you can't avoid her all together, which I understand, maybe tether your pup to you when she's around.
Puppy bites MIL would make more sense, but sadly, my title was correct.

Thanks for the advice, all. I do plan on limiting the contact between the two. It is a problem when I'm not expecting her to be around. I didn't expect her to be there yesterday. We were at FIL and Step-MIL's house, and MIL came with her dog, Jack.

MIL offered to keep our puppy while we vacation this summer, but Elvis is coming with us. My uncle invited us to a dog friendly condo on the beach.

I could bite MIL, but she may bite back. I don't think she's had her rabies shot.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'd be inclined to quarantine your mil for at least 10 days!!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
...Shoulda bitten HER back. YOU'RE the "leader" of that puppy's "pack", NOT her. >_>

Poor baby. Poor you, too. I can't imagine how upset you must have been to hear your baby cry like that. =<

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
LOL Seriously. I was laughing out loud when I saw your pic. Looks yummy. What flavor?

I think an occasional ice cream treat is okay (even Graeter's), but I found it annoying the way she was making sure I was feeding my puppy the proper food when she let her dog get fat on frequent trips to Graeters. .

Your dog doesn't look fat like my MIL's former dog. He's handsome. Or is it a she?
Black raspberry chip, lol...and yeah I agree with your "occasional" comment (which should really apply to how often *I* eat it as well...;)).

Thank you...that's a she, and it's more of a tabloid shot than a flattering photograph ;) I really didn't mean to hijack your thread though...glad it made you smile nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I'd be really happy if biting my dog was the craziest thing my MIL ever did.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts