Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone--

I have two dogs, a pit bull terrier mix named Laszlo and an Alaskan Malador named Louie. I adopted Laszlo first and then unexpectedly took Louie in to prevent him from being euthanized. Louie has been a tough pup to train, and I am still struggling to handle some of his more challenging breed characteristics. I am hoping to find some helpful advice from this forum. Both dogs are wonderful but these looming issued make it difficult to take them for walks in our neighborhood and I am hoping to resolve them ASAP.

Thanks in advance for creating a community for dog owners to learn from one another!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome to the fourm. I'm not really the best of leash advice (all my dogs started as a pup and caught on quick) but also knowing what your dog is doing on walks may help me give my two cents ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for your response!

A little bit of info on Louie--he is a 2-year old, recently neutered, Alaskan Malamute/Labrador mix. He's 72 lbs of black fluffy love and endless energy. He passed basic obedience class, where he was surrounded by 7 or 8 other dogs--so he is able to respond well around other dogs. I took him in when he was 4 months old. He had already been shuffled around between 4 houses until I took him in. His original owner did not want him anymore and was on the verge of putting him down. Fortunately he was removed from that situation until a new home became available. He is super playful. Loves hugs and kisses. He's the biggest goofball ever, but like his breed mix is known for, he can be very mischievous if left along too long and LOVES being the center of attention. (He has also chewed every single pair of shoes I've owned) Despite these at times very frustrating shortcomings, we adore him to death and will do everything we can to help teach him to be a happy and healthy dog.

Laszlo is a 3-year old pit bull terrier mix-- we honestly don't know what his mix is, but he has many of the pit bull personality traits. I adopted him when he was 9 months old from our city shelter. He is bouncy and energetic, but he also knows how to chill and cuddle. He loves to curl up in my lap, get belly rubs and give lots of kisses. He likes to play and wrestle with Louie. They have similar energy levels so they tend to do well together. Laszlo has noticeable leash aggression when other dogs pass by him. We have been trying to work on this with him, especially since he responds very well to other dogs when he is off leash. I have taken him to dog parks many times and he gets along with every dog he interacts with. He never gets aggressive with them. Although, he does want them to chase him around.

Both dogs are very responsive to dogs in the neighborhood while they are on their leash. Off the leash, they are both very playful and tend to get along with most dogs. Louie starts to get worked up when Laszlo barks at other dogs. Louie barks, jumps around, tugs on his leash, lunges towards the other dogs, and ends up latching onto Laszlo neck and starts to wrestle with him. He never hurts Laszlo, but after reading up a bit on his breed mix, it seems he may be trying to protect me from Laszlo's anxiety or possible from the other dogs. When Louie is alone on walks, he occasionally responds to nearby dogs, but usually enjoys chasing bunnies or smelling the grass or flowers. I've read that his breed mix tends to be very territorial with their owners and this may be in part why he is responding as he is. I am concerned because the display, when it happens, tends to send a frightening message to others walking their dogs, and also is not the behavior I want to see in my dogs. Together, Louie and Laszlo weigh the same as I do, and both have very strong, muscular builds, and at times are a lot for me to handle. I am working on hiring a personal trainer to help me, however, in the meantime, I am looking to other dog owners for tips and support on how I can help my otherwise wonderfully sweet dogs enjoy their walking time.

Thank you again for your willingness to help!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Louie-Management. If he gets into trouble while alone, he needs to be crated or confined in a dog-proof room. Pick up your house. Leave nothing out that he can chew except for appropriate toys. He's young, he's part lab, and he'll be puppyish for another year or two. Prevent him from making mistakes now so he builds good habits.

Laszlo-Sounds like leash reactivity, not uncommon. It could be fear or excitement/frustration based. Sometimes dogs feel vulnerable on leash, so they react out of fear. Sometimes they are frustrated that they can't go and see the other dog because they are on leash, so they react from frustration and excitement. Look up the Reactivity sticky thread at the top of the dog training form. The training method for both kinds of reactivity is pretty much the same.

For now, I would suggest walking each dog separately. It's difficult to train one dog while trying to handle two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts