Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get over the difference between owning this little dog and owning cats. The only stuff I bought for my cats (other than cat litter) were occasional toys which they never liked better than a ball of aluminum foil anyway.

I've owned Moses two days and I've ordered a crate and several articles of clothing because he shivers when it's under 65 degrees, I bought a handbag style carrier to take him places he can't go on a leash, a car safety seat because he could be hurt in a quick stop, and now I need to find stairs so he won't hurt himself jumping onto or off of furniture.

Really expensive start-up here. Good thing he's extra adorable.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, none of these things are strictly necessary :p. You could easily have gotten by with a $2 doggie sweater (OK, 2 for when one is in the wash) and the other things are just luxuries. But they're so cute! LOL, it is hard to avoid buying stuff for our pets.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Yeah nothing you listed are necessities, the crate is a good thing to have though. I really hope you are not planing on sneaking him into places that dogs are not allowed in via that handbag.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I spent more on the stuff than I did on the dog! Boxes came every day from amazon. Collar, leash, shampoo, nail clippers, stiptic pads, brush, scissors, ear stuff, crate bed, water and food bowls, crate bowl, poop bags, poop mitt, flash light that goeas arond my waist for when I walk her at night, halti harness, name tag, travel crate, seat belt, toys, treats, food, etc. Most of it is unnecessary but well, she's so sweet. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I wanted the bag mostly because it was on clearance and I had to go a couple of places these next two days and I don't know how he is on a leash yet. And a lot of it is fear of what could happen to him if we come across bigger dogs unexpectedly.

BTW, where do you find $2 doggie sweaters? I thought I was lucky to find the $8 shirts! (I bought 4. Couldn't resist the tie-dyed one with the peace sign.)

Most of this has to do with the fact that my cats weren't going out and about with me. But I really don't want to leave him home alone so soon after he arrived (and was neutered) and I don't have his crate yet. I foresee feeling guilt about leaving him that far outweighs leaving the cats home alone.

·
Registered
591 Posts
CONGRATS you are now owned by a dog !! and the cheap sweaters are at walmart , they also have adorable clothes just think what you would spend if it was a she ?? Then you have the jewled collars, pink tutu dresses and matching boots ........Sophie even has a pink pleather and fur coat ( hey I live in Alaska lol ) I am currently looking for a backpack for my lab Lucifer so he can carry his own stuff.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
There are definitely some fun things to get for a dog, for sure. Heck, I'm *making* our new guy a sweater. But needs for him? Crate, collar, tags, leash, food, bowls, nail clippers. The tags/carrier/collar/bowls/food/clippers applied for my cats, too. The rest is just - fun.

Kinda like having a kid. You CAN get a lot of things and it might make things easier, but most of what you need to buy for a baby are ultimately a car seat, diapers, clothes.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have so much "stuff" for my dogs that I will end up giving some of it away to a rescue organization. This is why I need to stay away from the pet department in any store! Lol! :) I have a thing for collars (and leashes)... when I rescued Lucy I took a few with me and left the ones that didn't fit with the shelter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Our cats are getting pissed off about the puppy destroying their toys, especially the catnip stuffed ones. Plus, she thinks they're all hers and she'll collect as many of them as she can to her crate.

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you're handy with a needle and thread or know how to use a sewing machine, you can save a ton of money by buying used infant/baby/toddler clothes at thrift shops or second-hand stores and just modifying them. You can find a bunch of neat stuff and just need to cut off pieces or sew in some. I've gotten stuff as cheap as $0.50, and have a little project pile that I will hopefully get through lol. You can also use your old clothes that are worn or broken and make little shirts and whatnot for your little dog.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Oh, c'mon, a raincoat was totally necessary. As were the 100 toys. And the basket to put them in. ;)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I always was jealous that dogs got isles and isles of stuff at the pet store and cats just got a little section. Now I realize how expensive all that dog stuff is! He's actually really happy with empty yogurt cups (never unsupervised!!).

I crocheted a custom sweater for Hamilton for the winter. He hated it. Now it is more like a neckerchief since he's grown so much since then! I'll crochet a new one for next winter. I just used scrap yarn and it was free!

·
Registered
332 Posts
What I spend on the cats vs the pup is about the same with the exception of collar and leash. I buy the cats those fishing pole toys with the bait on the end cause eventually they pull the feathers off or break the string. I hope to Auriel's kong and nylabone last longer. The cats also have their litter pan and litter costs, which I think may not come to equal what I will be paying to a groomer. I want to eventually learn to be able to do the hair trimming myself, but not yet. She gets brushed everyday just like the cats, and I've trimmed her bottom while she was napping. I had the crate because I have 3 cat crates of the same size to fit my Maine Coon mix tom, and he's a big ole boy.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The cats also have their litter pan and litter costs, which I think may not come to equal what I will be paying to a groomer.
Grooming costs that much for you?! Wow, we only spend 20 dollars for a full groom,(bath, expressed glands, haircut to our specifications, nails trimmed, etc.)

·
Registered
332 Posts
I haven't found a groomer and I don't want to take her until she's had all her shots. I have no idea what the cost of her grooming will be, but my cat litter isn't that expensive either.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts