Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog Chloe, Labrador retriever 5 years old, has been swallowing and yawning frequently for the past 1 month. This morning ate a lot of grass and than she threw up the grass and her food. She has never been sick before.
All began at the end of June when we brought her for the first time and only for 2 days in a doggy day care, one week later she began to threw up and had a strong cough. The veterinarian said she had kennel cough and she took 10 days of ronaxan and metacam. After 3 weeks the cough was disappeared; the 4th week she had reverse sneeze frequently and from the 5th week till now she has hypersalivation, she yawns and swallows.
Our veterinarian prescribed Omeprozolo 40mg every 24h, she still takes it.
We’ve done also abdominal ultrasound and it was all right, the stomach walls were right.
She did also x rays the first day in june when she was throwing up and nothing was seen.
Out vet doesn't know what to do anymore, he says to wait for endoscopy, but I’m exasperated..
Please give me some advices.
Thank you!
Sorry for my not perfect english, I’m italian.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,343 Posts
It's possible the eating grass and throwing up is unrelated to the larger issues. Sometimes dogs have upset stomachs for whatever reason, eat grass, and throw up. I would document it and run it by your vet, though, just in case.

Have you considered getting a second opinion, or seeing a specialist? Not that your vet is doing a bad job, just that different vets have different experiences and might know what's causing this.

Any changes recently, like in food, housing, even laundry detergent? Have you spoken with your vet about allergies? Is it possible the medication she was taking for the kennel cough had a side effect of excessive salivation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible the eating grass and throwing up is unrelated to the larger issues. Sometimes dogs have upset stomachs for whatever reason, eat grass, and throw up. I would document it and run it by your vet, though, just in case.

Have you considered getting a second opinion, or seeing a specialist? Not that your vet is doing a bad job, just that different vets have different experiences and might know what's causing this.

Any changes recently, like in food, housing, even laundry detergent? Have you spoken with your vet about allergies? Is it possible the medication she was taking for the kennel cough had a side effect of excessive salivation?
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have been to 3 vets and they say to continue with omeprazole, one told me for 15 days and that for prolonged periods it is not good, another for a month otherwise it has no effect, another that if the dog does not vomit it is not needed.
This confuses me even more, we decided to continue with Omeprozolo.
I have seen from my internet searches that ronaxan which is a doxycillin can cause esophagitis.
An endoscopy is needed to diagnose it?
Tonight she also coughed 3 times, I would not like to have a rebound effect of the kennel cough.
And on suterday we’ll see the vet again.
The only change we had, has been in food quantities cause she has to loose weight
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top