Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having a small issue that I was wondering if anybody had any input on. I have a ten-month-old Beagle named Patrick. He lives with me in a small apartment, and once a week spends the day at day care playing with other dogs. We are home at my parents' house for a few weeks for the holidays, where there are a five-year and six-year old Westies, Gus and Lacey. They generally get along okay, but Patrick is a bit challenging when it comes to attention. Whenever he and Gus are asking for attention at the same time, or he notices Gus getting attention, he starts nipping at his ankles and ears. It's not very aggressive, and Gus just sort of ignores it, but I know there's potential for escalation so whenever I notice the behavior I step in between them. He exhibits the same behavior when he and Gus go in or out the door to the backyard at the same time, or when Gus is chasing a ball (Patrick usually likes to too, but in this case his focus is all on Gus). He doesn't do it with Lacey at all. Is there anything more effective I might be able to do to discourage this behavior? At this point, whenever I notice it I step in between, and as soon as Patrick is looking at me I praise him, but the behavior is not deteriorating and I was hoping I could end the behavior. I do realize this is normal puppy behavior, but any input would be much appreciated. Thanks you, and happy holidays.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Some dogs are quite selective and only get along with certain dogs. Often it's dogs of the opposite sex they like.

I would spend some time making sure good things happen when the other dog(s) are in the room. Have Patrick in the room. Ask someone else to bring Gus into the room. When Gus is there and Patrick has noticed but not reacted, Patrick gets treats. When Gus leaves the room, treats stop. Repeat often and see if there's improvement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts