Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi everyone,

i have a 14 month old male japanese akita. he is the sweetest guy, loves people and animals. the akita was neutered 10 days ago, but ever since he was a puppy he has been SERIOUSLY insecure when we leave the house. it started off with just complete destruction of the entire house; papers, couches, etc. he also had been biting his paws to the point that they would bleed. this behaviour never occurs when we are at home. it is pretty obvious that he has high anxiety and fear of being left by himself, as he has learned how to escape from sliding doors, etc. if no one is watching him he will run away to look for people.

the big problem now is that he has starting being DESTRUCTIVE TO HIMSELF. i came home a few days ago, and the poor thing had given himself 2 black eyes (he is completely white, so it is easy to see). the vet has noticed the severity of him chewing on his paws and tail, he has scabs and cuts all over. i'm really worried about this behaviour.

we have tried to crate him, but he got to the point that he was sticking his head through the metal bars trying to get out, and thus, hurting himself even more severely. nothing works with him. we have tried bones, leaving our other dog with him, music, tv, trick toys.......he hates when we leave him and he is destructive in every way. im terrified that he is going to really hurt himself.

any advice would be wonderful; im really stressing out about this.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
number one Behaviorist.

and also

What is his exercise routine daily? How long are you away during the day? What does he have to keep his mind occupied? Why did you choose an Akita? ( curious because they are not dogs for everyone )

Akita's are smart dogs they get bored easily and they are not the easiest of dog breeds to own. They are also very devoted family dogs and like I said not for everyone. many just looking into it for a few minutes I see many Akitas with problems with separation anxiety breaking out of kennels and pulling out hair chewing scratching. So it is something you see in this breed. Problems that become serious likes yours will probably need a behaviorist to help you solve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts