Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 week husky quickly learned not to pee inside the apartment. Anyway I live in the fifth floor in an apartment complex, so I can't really take her down stairs every 20-30 min for potty. Sadly one of my neighbors has complained about the poo out on the patio ( Just to be clear I clean her mess immediately, but earlier today I let her out and took a nap, then the neighbor saw her poo and talked to the maneger about it). Anyhow, I've been trying to teach her to do her business on the housebreaking potty pads, but instead of using the she shred them and pee around them!! I would really appreciate it if you guys give me some suggestions.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
At petsmart, they sell this spray to encourage dogs to go on the pads. I don't know how well it works, but you try it.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Use a litter box or turf instead. But honestly, you need to start training her to do her business outside. She's going to be a fairly big dog, and it's going to be truly gross if you do not.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Anyway I live in the fifth floor in an apartment complex, so I can't really take her down stairs every 20-30 min for potty.
Yes, you can. Puppies are a lot of work. Time to start working. If you knew you couldn't do that then I am not sure why you got such a young puppy to begin with? He needs to learn to eliminate outside. You are teaching him peeing and pooping are ok to do on the patio. Not such a great thing when your dog is an adult.

Edit: Just realized he's a she. Sorry!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spray doen't really work. I tried it... I know it's disgusting to let her potty out on the patio, but if it comes to me, I don't like it. To be honest, I would rather she do her business on the patio than on my carpet. Btw, I take her out 4-6 times a day but she never ever did her potty out! I'm actually trying to teach her that whenever we go for a walk she should do her business but it's not working as well. So what am I supposed to do?

·
Registered
705 Posts
The spray doen't really work. I tried it... I know it's disgusting to let her potty out on the patio, but if it comes to me, I don't like it. To be honest, I would rather she do her business on the patio than on my carpet. Btw, I take her out 4-6 times a day but she never ever did her potty out! I'm actually trying to teach her that whenever we go for a walk she should do her business but it's not working as well. So what am I supposed to do?
Take her out every 20-30 min. If she doesn't eliminate right away, you have to wait. Sometimes it's 10 min, sometimes it's 30 min. You need to wait her our. Once she potties outside, lots and lots of praise and treats! Take her inside. In 20-30 minutes repeat again. Sometimes if they don't go right away you can try walking around a little and the movement helps them realize they need to eliminate.

She also should be confined. No free roaming! Either a crate, play pen, or on a leash tethered to you. This way she is never out of your sight. If you see her start to sniff like she needs to potty you immediately pick her up and shuffle her outside.

When puppies generally need to eliminate:
1. 10 min after eating
2. 10 min after drinking
3. When first waking up from a nap/getting out of the crate
4. Every 20-30 min

You need to put the work in to get her to eliminate outside. It's a lot of work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would give up on the pads...I too purchased a large box of them when I got my pup...Never used one...They just looked so effective in the store. You just need to teach her that she shouldnt go in the apt.

With my puppy...I watched him like a hawk the first 3 weeks home. I made sure that if I seen him sniffing or if I knew he drank water 20 minutes ago...I was bringing him out. What really worked for me was catching him in the act of starting to pee...saying no and sweeping him out the door mid stream to finish outside....Then treat treat treat after they go outside.

A big dog like that will cover a whole paper pad in a few hours with pee and poo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So let me tell what happened today, I took my little girl after she eats or drank water down stairs, and also every 20-30 min I took her down stairs and waited 30 min each time, but she didn't poo or pee! Any suggestions on how am I going to make her do her business on the place where it belongs?

·
Registered
705 Posts
So let me tell what happened today, I took my little girl after she eats or drank water down stairs, and also every 20-30 min I took her down stairs and waited 30 min each time, but she didn't poo or pee! Any suggestions on how am I going to make her do her business on the place where it belongs?
She's learned to eliminate on the patio. It might take awhile to get her to be comfortable eliminating on grass if she hasn't ever done it before. She doesn't know she's allowed to. Did you try walking her around a bit? She would have eventually had to eliminate at some point during the day. Where did she go the bathroom for the day? Did she go in the house? Why weren't you there to carry her outside?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While I'm out i'm standing, holding the leash and waiting for her to eliminate. I walk with her everyday in the same place but she never ever peed. Anyway today I was watching her carefully and when she was sniffing and making circules on the patio I carry her immediately but by the time i'm on the ground floor she has already eliminated! Btw today she didn't poo because every time she was going to do it I carry her and take her down stairs and waited for 30 min but she won't do it! half an hour ago she ran out on the patio and she eliminated while I'm carrying her again! It's really getting harder for her, I think she's confused, which means I'm not really doing a great job :(

·
Registered
705 Posts
While I'm out i'm standing, holding the leash and waiting for her to eliminate. I walk with her everyday in the same place but she never ever peed. Anyway today I was watching her carefully and when she was sniffing and making circules on the patio I carry her immediately but by the time i'm on the ground floor she has already eliminated! Btw today she didn't poo because every time she was going to do it I carry her and take her down stairs and waited for 30 min but she won't do it! half an hour ago she ran out on the patio and she eliminated while I'm carrying her again! It's really getting harder for her, I think she's confused, which means I'm not really doing a great job :(
It's a lot of work and it doesn't help you live so far up! Is there a day when you can take her outside and spend an hour out there with her? What you need is for her to eliminate outside at least once so you can throw a big party and give her a bunch of treats so she knows that eliminating outside is good. She has this built up behavior that patio = potty and it will take a lot of work to break that connection. You need to wait her out during times when you know she has to go to the bathroom (after she eats and after she drinks). Even if you have to wait 40 minutes. She doesn't know that it's ok.

Your English is great! I am curious though, what is going to happen to her when you go back to the Middle East (I assume you are going back because you are a student)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You mentioned that every day you take her to the same space, but she has never went there. I think she's developed a routine in which that's a place she hangs out, and the patio is the place where she goes to the bathroom. Try taking her into other places outside, places she hasn't been, at the times when she should have to go to the bathroom. It'll increase the chances that she goes outside. Also, I know it's an inconvenience to take her outside many times a day, especially considering that you're many floors up from ground-level, but if you make the sacrifice now, when she gets bigger, it'll be a breeze - very easy. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I read your replies this morning, and I thought let's give it a try. I waited an hour for her eliminate in a place where three dogs came for potty and gone! Anyway, I felt like she was going to do it at the first. She was sniffing around and paying me no attention, but as soon as that bird landed on the ground, she forgot all about the potty and played for an hour. (while leashed)

Your English is great! I am curious though, what is going to happen to her when you go back to the Middle East (I assume you are going back because you are a student)?
I'm just a freshmen now, but I though of taking her back home when I'm done studying. It's too HOT in Middle East for a husky to handle. I will either ask my family to build her an air-conditioned room in our backyard, or she's gonna stay in the USA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WEIRD DOG!! So I was with her outside after my math exam today for two full hours, she dropped a little bet when she got excited seeing another puppy, anyway I was like "good girl, nice potty". However, she didn't eliminate except the tiny little drops. I took her up stairs so I could rest a little bet. Then, when she first got her tiny feet on the patio she eliminated immediately, "NO" didn't stop her and carrying her didn't either! It's a really weird situation. To be honest I don't know what to do, should I just let her eliminate on the patio until I get kicked out from the apartment? Or should I take my mattress downstairs and sleep next to where she should eliminate!!?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I don't have any tips for you beyond what people have already said, unfortunately. To be honest, I can't imagine trying to housebreak a dog without quick access to the outdoors! If I were you, I would do a quick Google for resources for people who live in places like New York City and have big dogs. Tons of people have done it, I'm just not sure how.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
Wow. Sounds like an impulse purchase, without any thought for the moment (the current potty issue), and without any foresight for the future (lack of a concrete contingency plan for when you go back home). And that concerns me.

Exactly what will become of this dog if she stays in the USA, permanently ? I'm asking because you haven't said.

You'll have to to give a boatload of thought, sooner rather than later, as to what will be the true future of this dog. Be honest with yourself. If, at present, you don't foresee a happy, fulfilled, and STABLE life for her for the next 12 to 15 yrs, then I hate to say it but ... perhaps it's best to adopt her out NOW to someone else who can properly provide that environment for her.

For the sake of the puppy, I'm sincerely hoping my concerns noted above are unfounded and untrue.

From my perspective, it certainly appears as though peeing on the patio is the least of your problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
As gross as it sounds, you need to take some of her poo and pee and place it in the area that you want her to go. A dog will generally eliminate not only where it is used to going, but it also smells where to go. Clean off the patio as soon as you've done that so there is no more poo or pee smell there.
After that, just be diligent with taking her out and keeping that patio spottless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts