Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a Husky about 9 years old ,We noticed a large lump on her right elbow. The Vet drained the hematoma and noticed numerous small hard lumps under all the fluid. He then cut the skin open and when he squeezed all these small bead-like lumps fell out. I'm glad I have a strong stomach, very disgusting. Said he's never seen anything like it. He cleaned up the site and wrapped it up. Going back in a couple of days.
I'm unemployed so I really can't afford a lot of tests. I wouldn't want to subject her to chemo anyway. Mya is a very sweet dog and we won't let her suffer.
Been looking for info on the Internet for hours but I can't find anything that matchs this. When I felt the lumps thru her skin they felt very hard, a clump of lumps from about a quarter inch to smaller than a grain of rice.
I hope that someone can help us with this, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
How hard were they? could you squeeze them and they break apart or were they solid? Has that area had an injury before? Ant sort of injury, cut, soft tissue damage or sprain?

Did he send the lumps off for tests? That would have been your best bet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said I don't have any extra money to run test. Several years ago we had a male Husky that had a tumor at the base of his tail. A different Vet said that he could fix it, so he remove his tail and the tumor. The cancer spread through out his body and we had to put him done a couple of weeks later. Hated to put our Bruno through that. That being said, I'm not sure that we would put our Mya through the treatment of chemo and all. Even the Vet said he wouldn't.
I didn't notice any injury to her elbow or anything. The hematoma was a little smaller than a tennis ball cut in half. After it was drained then we felt the mass under the skin. It felt very hard. When fell out onto the table it was about 25-30 small lumps ranging between 1/4" and just smaller than a grain of rice. The whole thing was about 2" long and 1" wide. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Could it be some kind of worm egg sack? I hope its not cancer, and that you find out what it is. I'm very curious now.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would think that if it was cancer the vet would be able to tell right away?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I would think that if it was cancer the vet would be able to tell right away?
No way of telling until you get is sent off, I have seen some very nasty looking lumps that both the vet and I have thought were cancerous that turned out to be nothing.

I was thinking calcium deposits, depending on the hardness of the lumps. I have had that in an old scar before, cut it open to find tiny little white hard balls in the scar tissue, was super cool and interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know what? I didn't think about calcium deposits. Very possible. I'm taking her back for follow up this afternoon, I'll update y'all on what the Doc says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She seems okay. The vet stapled up where he cut her open and she keeps taking bandages off. But she just licks it and doesn't seem to chew at it. Hopefully she will leave alone for a week or so and it can heal up. He just stapled it yesterday and the good news is that there is no bleeding so that's a good thing. All we can do now is keep a close eye on her and make sure she's comfortable. It doesn't seem to bother her and she is very happy.
I'm new to this forum and not sure how to post pics. But if you go to my profile tou should be able to see our dogs. Mya - Husky (got her at the pound so that's our best guess). Blue- Border Collie/ Red bone hound mix. Duke, Duchess and Jack- French Bulldogs. Yes, we are stupid for dogs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, the Vet said it wasn't calcium deposits. The lumps had fibers going between them and were about the grossest thing I have ever seen. Not sure but he said that its probably some kind of tumors.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Oh yeah, the Vet said it wasn't calcium deposits. The lumps had fibers going between them and were about the grossest thing I have ever seen. Not sure but he said that its probably some kind of tumors.
Oh wow! seriously wish you had gotten pictures of that, I would have loved to have seen it! And I have seen some pretty messed up things in clinic too. I am glad your girl is okay though, and hope it all heals up nicely.

Welcome to the forum! You should stick around, we are all dog nuts :) Just had a look at your pack :) all very cute, but what a mix! Do they all get along well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes they do. They all sleep in our bedroom at night.
Blue. 10
Mya. 8
Duke. 5
Duchess. 4
Jack. 4
Duchess has made herself leader of our pack.
Ha Ha.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I did a bit more digging. I came up with this. I'm not by any means suggesting that your dog has Morgellons (has she ever had lyme disease that you know of?), but it is interesting to read about.

What colour were the little lumps?

Also.... this? "Myositis ossificans is characterized by calcification of the muscle".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts