Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rescued a dog from the streets, he followed me and after a few days he is happy and adores me, my family is thinking on keeping it due to how he would feel if we send him into adoption, he loves me in every single way possible and tries to be with me at all time. The problem comes with my household dog, he usually wasnt the alpha but do to our other dog being old and sick i think he assumed that possition. Every time those two see each other they try to fight. To be frank im a bit sad and scared about that and i dont know what to do. Does someone has any tricks to get those two together?

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,282 Posts
Do right for your existing dog. If he is unhappy with another dog in the home, then do not keep the other dog. Having two dogs that do not get along is stressful for all and dangerous. It isn't fair to the dogs or the humans.

Find a home for the rescue. While he is attached to you, I can absolutely promise that he will attach to a new home without issue (I have had many rescues and fosters and they all adapted to their new homes without issue no matter how attached they were with me at the time).

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
Personality conflicts where one dog is constantly trying to fight the other are hard to manage in a single household without going full crate and rotate - meaning there's two barriers between the dogs at any given time (two doors, a crate and a door, a door and a baby gate, etc.), and you have to rotate out who gets to be with the family in the main part of the house. It's a ton of work, and often isn't fair to the dogs in the end unless you have tons of time and energy to make sure they're getting their physical, mental, and social needs met individually. It's not something I would be able to pull off, I know.

I agree with Toedtoes - make sure your temporary dog stays temporary by finding him a good, responsible forever home or a reputable rescue group who can take him, because that's the kindest option for both dogs. The risk of someone getting hurt in the fights - dogs or humans - is too high, and the stress from having to live together is probably making both dogs stressed. Wishing you lots of luck finding the right place for your rescue boy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts